Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Have a Router and Two Computers. What Geeky, Fun Things are Possible?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Talking I Have a Router and Two Computers. What Geeky, Fun Things are Possible?

Just like the title says...

I have a router and two computers and I want to know how to take full advantage of them. If there are any fun, geeky things I can do with them besides hook two computers up to a network to share files and internet access, please let me know!

What setups are possible?
    Anything to make 'em faster?
    How to make things more reliable?
    What is port forwarding?
    Is there any way to get around websense blocking?

Anything...

If you know of a trick and tips for owning a router, please share!

(BTW: I own a Linksys WRT54GC and have no static IP address)
    Last edited by SendDerek; November 13th, 2006 at 02:17 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: I Have a Router and Two Computers. What Geeky, Fun Things are Possible?

If you have static IP addresses and can get a spare one, setting one up as a web server (apache, mysql, jsp, php, cgi, etc.) will keep you playing for decades to come!

Even if the IP's are assigned with DHCP, if they don't change often and you can get an extra, you can still set up a web server.

Either way, you won't be able to list it in DNS, you'll just have to have people use the IP address to reach it.

This should be a fun thread to follow!
    Dave

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

If its geeky you want. Then setup a two node Beowulf cluster.

Pretty much anything you can do with a router can do without. Except networking two computers together.

I assume websence is some sort of proxy. You can fool the proxy (don't try this at work though) by tunneling data from one port through another. Couple that with ssh, and you bypass the proxy. Not sure of how to do it exactly.

Web port forwarding means making a different port number communicate traffic for the original port. Example lets say I have a game server that normally runs on 2345 but for whatever reason I want it to use 5432 instead. I can make port 5432 behave like 2345.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBorealis View Post
    If you have static IP addresses and can get a spare one, setting one up as a web server (apache, mysql, jsp, php, cgi, etc.) will keep you playing for decades to come!

Even if the IP's are assigned with DHCP, if they don't change often and you can get an extra, you can still set up a web server.

Either way, you won't be able to list it in DNS, you'll just have to have people use the IP address to reach it.

Dave

He could use No-IP's Linux client.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by Dual Cortex View Post

He could use No-IP's Linux client.
    Hello,

I just took a look at their site, but it was a quick peek. How will this allow someone with a DHCP-assigned IP to link it via DNS to a domain name? What happens when the IP changes?

Dave

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

If each computer has it's own monitor and they are in the same room, synergy could be a nice thing to play with.
    http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/
    I've never had a use for it though since I share a single monitor over KVM.
    Quote Originally Posted by smcnally
    For me, it's all about the penguin...If the Linux mascot was a tiger or an elephant, I would have never even tried it.

Beans

Hello,

I just took a look at their site, but it was a quick peek. How will this allow someone with a DHCP-assigned IP to link it via DNS to a domain name? What happens when the IP changes?

Dave
    You sign up for their DNS service, the No-IP client detects any IP changes and updates it to their system - result is you can access your computer anytime through an adress like johnsmith.no-ip.info (or you could use your own domain name)

Beans

Some ideas...
    • Web server
    • Mail server (if you own a domain name)
    • mldonkey (for 24/24 downloads)
    • file server (stores your movie/music collection to get it available on your LAN)

Beans

Dave
    Try DynDNS , they have a lot of free domains you can use.. I use it myself and use ddclient to automagically update my IP when it changes. (a script checks the ip every n seconds and updates it to the dyndns server if it changes)

I currently have one box set upp as a router/webserver/fileserver and my main box sitting behind that one, nothin fancy though, the setup is pretty straightforward..
    If you can read this your internet connection is working!

Beans
    Hidden!

simple one.
    vnc from A to B and while in that session open a vnc connection from B back to A...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast