Thread: Mobility Radeon x1800

Beans

Mobility Radeon x1800

Hey,

I'm considering buying a Dell XPS M2010....the only problem I see with it is that it has an ATI card. A Mobility Radeon x1800. I searched the forums a little but couldnt come up with any recent credible posts. So, does anyone use this card and can comment on its usability with linux?

thanks.

PS: No, I'm not very hopeful...but if it's not available, I'll have to drop down to the M1710 instead. Which is also pretty good, so

Beans

Re: Mobility Radeon x1800

This card won't work very well with the ati drivers at all...

You really should search harder for nvidia
    Every time you install Jaunty, a kitten........ wait sorry what year is this again?
    Please don't PM support questions, post a thread so that everyone can benefit
    Join us in #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net

Beans

I was just wondering like I said, I'll probably end up getting the M1710, which does have an Nvidia card, a "GeForce Go 7900 GTX Graphics Card".

By the way, the M1710, by the time I've customized to what I want, comes out to around 5400 On the flipside, it is one hot notebook.

oddly enough, the most expensive thing seems to be the RAM. Seems to be 600 US dollars for 1 GB? And I'm getting 4 GBs.
    Last edited by maniacmusician; November 12th, 2006 at 08:38 PM.

Beans

Personally i think you should split the money in half, then get yourself and me a still reasonably decent laptop
    Every time you install Jaunty, a kitten........ wait sorry what year is this again?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PriceChild View Post
    Personally i think you should split the money in half, then get yourself and me a still reasonably decent laptop
    Sounds like a reasonable idea

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Believe me, you DON'T want to buy a laptop with an ATi card for Linux, especially a X1000 series.

Some of the things I've had to put up with on my mobile X1400 include:

-No FOSS driver, ATi seems to be holding back a developer who was working on one due to NDA issues.
    -No Linux support what so ever until 4 months after it was released.
    -No 3D until a month or two after that
    -No XVideo acceleration and then faulty XVideo acceleration for until the last 3 months
    -Last and month before this month driver release broke XVideo in X.org 7.1
    -FGLRX driver included in Edgy doesn't have working XVideo.
    -Still occasional problems with suspend/hibernation.
    -Still no AIGLX support.

In short, ATi on Linux, DON'T DO IT! You'll be much happier with a NVidia or Intel graphics.
    Last edited by darkninja; November 12th, 2006 at 10:45 PM.

Beans

@darkninja; Thanks. I was just wondering about the x1000 series. I already know ATI on linux sucks, my current setup is frustrating me to no end!

I'm going for the XPS M1710, I think. But I'm buying it next year, so no hurry.

@PriceChild: It's actually a graduation president for me, so I couldn't split it even if I wanted to haha though I doubt I would anyways

Honestly, I do hate to spend this much money on it, but I can't find anything reliable with same or better specs for less money . I reckon I'll start another "help me find a laptop" thread soon.

Beans

x1*00 is pretty bad... but x1800 particularly so on linux.

That's what im hearign from friends using it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yup everyone here is right I wish ati would pull it together, mainly for the X1K cards. Im running a X1600pro, and I get less performance than my laptop with a 9200 radeon onboard :S There's practically no 2D/3D acceleration at all :S even with the newest fglrx drivers

Nvidia/Intel is the way to go, unless AMD fixes ati's horrible driver support teams
    Join me in my "No Thread Left Behind Act", the quest to leave no thread unanswered
    http://www.facebook.com/patrick.gunsolley
    Kubuntu 10.04 - Primary OS, Fedora 13 Rawhide Tester