Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Ubuntu right for me?

Beans

Cool Is Ubuntu right for me?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this...

I am a Fedora Core 5 user, and I'm absolutely SICK of yum. I've been using Linux for about 2 years now, so I'm not exactly a newbie, but Ubuntu has always had this "Only for newbies" style. I understand that's what you are trying to advertise, but it kind of puts us Intermediate Linux Users off.

So, can I use Ubuntu for the type of things I use Fedora for? Such as hosting a development server for my web projects, developing software (Python, Ruby, Ferite, C/C++, Mono), XGL/Compiz (I understand FC6 comes with this, but I can't upgrade because of a slow connection, which is one reason why I like the 1-CD Ubuntu install).

Thanks,
    David

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Is Ubuntu right for me?

I am a Fedora Core 5 user, and I'm absolutely SICK of yum.
    why don't you download apt and use that instead?

So, can I use Ubuntu for the type of things I use Fedora for? Such as hosting a development server for my web projects, developing software (Python, Ruby, Ferite, C/C++, Mono), XGL/Compiz (I understand FC6 comes with this, but I can't upgrade because of a slow connection, which is one reason why I like the 1-CD Ubuntu install).
    if you have a slow connection, thats 1 good reason NOT to prefer the 1cd install.
    Last edited by ComplexNumber; November 11th, 2006 at 07:25 PM.

Beans

Ubuntu is right for everyone!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cypher543 View Post
    If there is one thing you can do in one particular distrib, you can do it in any linux distrib. The only problem is that it may not be as easy.
    But running servers (unless it's an exotic one, what do you mean by development server?), or developing software (unless it's an exotic language, I never heard about Ferite ) shouldn't be a problem.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cypher543 View Post
    Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this...

I am a Fedora Core 5 user, and I'm absolutely SICK of yum. I've been using Linux for about 2 years now, so I'm not exactly a newbie, but Ubuntu has always had this "Only for newbies" style. I understand that's what you are trying to advertise, but it kind of puts us Intermediate Linux Users off.

Thanks,
    David
    Well... unless you're an alien or so... remember, Ubuntu is Linux for human beings!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

but Ubuntu has always had this "Only for newbies" style
    I suppose one could look at it that way. I started using Ubuntu after I was already somewhat familiar with linux (I had used redhat 9, a couple of the first fedora cores, mandrake, and a few other various distros) so I was sort of an "intermediate" user when I started with Ubuntu and I haven't had any complaints.

I think I like Ubuntu so much because on a default install it gives me a basic gnome desktop with the major programs I want to use. From there, I usually use Automatix or something to install all the extra stuff I need and I have a fully functional linux desktop in a few hours time.

-teet

Beans

why don't you download apt and use that instead?
    Because it isn't an officially supported package manager for Fedora. And frankly, I'd like to try something new.
    if you have a slow connection, thats 1 good reason NOT to prefer the 1cd install.
    By slow connection, I meant slow enough that I can't download 3GBs worth of packages in one go. 1 CD for Ubuntu gives me everything I need to start out, and then I'll just apt-get what I need later.
    what do you mean by development server?
    Just the basic LAMP setup.

Beans

Just download the liveCD, try it, if you like it, put it on your computer.

BTW aptitude is better the apt-get

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

And frankly, I'd like to try something new.
    and what exactly did you have i mind if you don't want to use yum or apt-get? there's only Smart and thats available for both the fedora and ubuntu.

By slow connection, I meant slow enough that I can't download 3GBs worth of packages in one go. 1 CD for Ubuntu gives me everything I need to start out, and then I'll just apt-get what I need later.
    that slow connection is going to hinder you a lot. evrything that you're wanting is on the fedora dvd.
    Last edited by ComplexNumber; November 11th, 2006 at 09:11 PM.

Beans

Here's another thought, go to a store, and pick up a copy of FC6, for no more then $10.

What is you'r connection speed anyway?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast