Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Untrusted Repositories

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Untrusted Repositories

Man! Can we trust Linux, now>?

hehe. This just demonstrates that WE have to be careful about what we add in the repos, and what software we install.

I bet that scared you off. It will do to me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've wiped it from Dapper using gparted. I'll install edgy back on it later. In the meantime, how does one go about changing a password? Of course I use the same one for Dapper as I do Edgy, so yeah, I need to change it post haste!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu27 View Post

hehe. This just demonstrates that WE have to be careful about what we add in the repos, and what software we install.

Nah, I'm cool. I'll just wait for known sources to put up repos from now on. When I ran his little program that changed my sources, I new I was probably asking for trouble. And yeah, I accept full responsibility for this happening. Perhaps nothing was done that could hurt me, but for crying out loud, if someone changes your desktop and locks you out from using it, it's high time to wipe everything out and start over, because there's no telling what else that A$$HOLE could have done. I think Trevino needs to check out his sources, though.

Beans

to change passwords type passwd on a terminal window

Or when installing use another password

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Untrusted Repositories

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu27 View Post

You can trust linux not yourselve.

Is like posting on a forum your IP, your username and passw. Somebody will come bashing at your door soon after

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Before you wipe your hard drive, we should try to find out which package from which repo did this.

edit: I've got every repo you have, and I'm not willing to remove all of them just to be sure it'll be ok. We really should try to find out which one did this. Synaptic maintains a history of upgraded packages. Which ones did you upgrade right before it happened?
    Last edited by HAARP; November 12th, 2006 at 01:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Sorry Haarp, it's gone.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

So, if someone puts your house on fire, you just buy a new one and live on? Sorry, but that was a foolish thing to do :/

Beans
    Distro

I know that it would have been helpful to diagnose the problem for others, but my edgy is used by me as a tinker toy, though I use it primarily because it's formatted reiser fs and it's quick, and I have Dapper as my standard fall back for ubuntu when things go south and I need a way to edit files in the edgy system. For me it's a matter of time and frustration. It's easier to take it from scratch and put it back. Besides, you should have seen all the problems. Dependencies were screwed up left and right, every time I rebooted, I was hit with some new malady, etc. My tinker toy got bent, so I got a new one. Sorry, but you're on your own with this. I know that isn't helpful, and I kind of wish I'd stuck it out now so I could have helped you.

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

What happened here, I think is that Trevino's repositories were hacked. I tried to run updates today for beryl, and it kept saying that the package wasn't there, and also it was saying that the file it was looking for was in the dapper directory (I'm running edgy) and on the website, if you look at the package it should be in the edgy directory.

We could always do a apt-get source beryl and check through the source.

I know there have been a few times that Debian's repository machine had been hacked, they took it offline, ran audits to make sure the packages weren't compromised, then put it back up about a week later.

Leech
    Wah! Wah! Life was more entertaining when I had 64KB of RAM in my computer.
    Neverwinter Nights Platinum HowTo

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast