Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Automatic Script for Anti-Aliasing aMSN

Beans

Automatic Script for Anti-Aliasing aMSN

This is a fully automated script to add anti-aliasing support to aMSN. This will compile Tcl and Tk 8.5 and recompile aMSN 0.97 for it. This will NOT replace your existing Tcl/Tk installation, so this method is much safer to use and easier to revert than other non-compilation methods. This script works on Edgy, Feisty and Gutsy, and works on both 32-bit and 64-bit processors.

Here is a screenshot of what it will look like when the script finishes:

Updates

January 2, 2008:

• Updated to Tcl/Tk 8.5 and aMSN 0.97.
    • Fixed detection of KDE on Gutsy for skin selection.
    • Fixed checkout location for aMSN in cvs mode.

July 15, 2007:

• Updated to Tcl/Tk 8.5a6 and aMSN 0.97RC1.
    • Added Gutsy support.

March 8, 2007:

• Added an additional warning to the clean option.

February 22, 2007:

• The script now uses its own sources.list to ensure the deb-src lines are available and to prevent any repository conflicts (uncomment fallback is now only used for unsupported distributions). This should permanently fix any repository problems.
    • There is now a "clean" command line option to clean out Tcl/Tk 8.5 and aMSN. Only the build dependency packages are left behind, which are from the official repositories so there's no problem.
    • The error-handling is more robust; it now catches SIGTERM and cleans temp files.

February 7, 2007:

• The cvs and tarball versions have been merged into the same script. Source tarball is now the default installation method; there is a "cvs" command line option to use cvs/subversion trunk instead.
    • The deb-src lines in /etc/apt/sources.list are now uncommented during the script and restored afterwards. This should prevent any build-dep problems.
    • TLS is now configured automatically (finally!)
    • GuS-Arg's skins are now activated automatically (unless you are already using another skin.)

Upgrades

Note for distribution upgrades: This script will not interfere with a distribution upgrade in any way. It is safe to upgrade from Edgy to Feisty or from Feisty to Gutsy with this aMSN installation. After upgrading, your aMSN may revert to using jagged fonts; simply run this script again (don't uninstall aMSN first, just run the script) to get them back.

Notes

• Tcl and Tk 8.5 will be compiled and installed into /usr/local; it will not replace your existing Tcl and Tk installation, so it should be much safer to use and easier to revert than other methods.
    • The Ubuntu and Kubuntu skins by GuS-Arg will be installed. If you do not have a skin already selected, the proper skin will be selected automatically. You can activate them manually via Account -> Select Skin.
    • This script accepts the command line option "clean". This will remove Tcl/Tk 8.5 and purge aMSN and all configuration files and customizations (skins, extensions, options, logs, etc). If you want to revert to the normal aMSN, execute the clean and then re-install amsn from the repositories.
    • This script can download the latest trunk of Tcl/Tk and aMSN through revision control systems instead of using source tarballs. Use it if you want to be on the bleeding edge or if the tarballs fail for some reason. To use it, add the "cvs" command line option to the script when running it.

Installation

Please read the entire Notes section above before installing. If you have already installed aMSN, do not uninstall it before starting.

Attached is the script. Save it in your home folder, then open a terminal window and type:
    Code:
    bash fixamsn.sh
    You will be prompted for your root password, then the script will handle everything else. Don't be scared at the massive volume of text it will output. It should take about five to ten minutes to complete.

Please let me know if there are any errors or missing build dependencies. Enjoy!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Vuen; January 3rd, 2008 at 02:46 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Automatic Script for Anti-Aliasing aMSN

Worked like a charm, first time! All I had to do after running the script (and entering passwords) was direct AMSN to my TLS folder.

AMSN looks great now. Many thanks!

Beans

Ah yes, sorry about that. I'm not sure why it can't find TLS. I spoke to the aMSN developers and they mentioned that the pkgIndex.tcl fix the script performs should let it find it, but it didn't work for me either. It's probably just due to the fact that we're installing Tcl/Tk in /usr/local. Anyway I'll add that to the main post. Thanks.
    Last edited by Vuen; November 18th, 2006 at 07:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

perfect script, saves a lot of time and effort
    thank you!

Beans

Glad to hear.

I added error-checking throughout the script, so now if anything goes wrong, it will abort (leaving your original aMSN intact). I also added code to automatically clean up its temporary files.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Works great. Saves a lot of time. Thanks!

Beans

All I can say is a humble thank you!

Beans

Since aMSN 0.96 has been released, I updated the script to install it instead of 0.96rc1. If aMSN is asking you whether you want to upgrade, tell it no, and simply download and run this script again.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Worked great, just got 2 problems, with the libpng and libjpeg that i needed to install.
    Just keep on moving
    Ubuntu Guide PT

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

ok i'll try

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast