View Poll Results: Should binary NVidia/ATI drivers be automatically installed&activated in Ubuntu?

Voters
2132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (while informing the user of the relevant issues, etc.)

    665 31.19%
  • No (such drivers can stay in a non-free repo, just like now)

    328 15.38%
  • Users should be given a choice about this during installation

    1,139 53.42%
Page 51 of 85 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 510 of 841

Thread: Poll: Binary NVidia/ATI Drivers in Ubuntu?

  1. #501
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Beans
    99

    Re: Ubuntu users will totally loose control of their systems

    Quote Originally Posted by zetetic View Post
    matthew said:

    «Let me try to say this both as gently and kindly as possible. There is a distro that exists that is excellent and reflects your political values perfectly. Why not simply use Debian?»

    That's funny, I didn't know that not liking to be cheated had something to do with political values....
    I thought it only mean that I like people to be honest, so it is a matter of ethical values and not political values.

    This is what I wrote:
    "You are trusting someone who said this:
    «Ubuntu is entirely committed to the principles of open source software development; no part of it will ever be proprietary, and we encourage people to use it, improve it and pass it on.»

    Read my lips: «no part of it will ever be proprietary". I can't trust this person anymore."

    Ubuntu, at least at this moment and with Shuttleworth leading the project, simply can't be trusted anymore.

    zetetic
    The problem, as i see it, is that unlike many other projects (including OpenSuse and Fedora) Ubuntu is not a community driven project, the head Honcho decides what goes and what doesn't and it seems like he's chasing bug nr1 more than taking care of the people who like and use Ubuntu. I think it's unfortunate but Canonical will do what they believe is right and expect users to follow, not the other way around.

  2. #502
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New Jersey, United States
    Beans
    169
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

    Re: Ubuntu users will totally loose control of their systems

    Quote Originally Posted by Kristen Lucas View Post
    The problem, as i see it, is that unlike many other projects (including OpenSuse and Fedora) Ubuntu is not a community driven project, the head Honcho decides what goes and what doesn't and it seems like he's chasing bug nr1 more than taking care of the people who like and use Ubuntu. I think it's unfortunate but Canonical will do what they believe is right and expect users to follow, not the other way around.
    And for the most part, I'm fine with that. As long as everyone still has the option to remove ANYTHING they want, it's fine by me.
    Good at writing shell scripts? Know anything about GTK programming?
    Help out a new project at http://www.s-online.org/labels/About.html

  3. #503
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Ubuntu users will totally loose control of their systems

    zetetic you spoken your peace on the issue,and so has everyone else. this thread is no longer serving a purpose,and is just going back and fourth over the same ground.

    zetetic please feel free to return to ubuntu community at anytime.



    Thread Closed....
    Advantages and Disadvantages of 64bit.(Plus install Guides)

    ‘In search of some small measure of peace, that we all seek, and few of us ever find.’

  4. #504
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Beans
    1,252

    Re: Poll: Binary NVidia/ATI Drivers in Ubuntu?

    Simply because debian has the reputation to have a strong position on non free stuff. He simply compare to the one who has the reputation to have a strong position on the subject.
    WARNING : Post with explicit contents
    Join to "STOP monolithic all-in-one unmanageable application"
    The wiki is your friend https://help.ubuntu.com/community/

  5. #505
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Beans
    99

    Re: Poll: Binary NVidia/ATI Drivers in Ubuntu?

    I don't believe that exposing users to potentially harmful software is a good idea, Nvidia didn't care about an exploit so bad it would NEVER have been not patched the same day they knew about it if it had to do with Windows.

    Debian isn't a great source for true freedom either, OpenBSD contains zero proprietary code and zero proprietary code is installable on it by choice.

    In fact, they believe in it so much that you can thank then for making your wireless working, if that code hadn't been reverse engineered in OpenBSD, it would never have happened.

  6. #506
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Poll: Binary NVidia/ATI Drivers in Ubuntu?

    Quote Originally Posted by givré View Post
    Simply because debian has the reputation to have a strong position on non free stuff. He simply compare to the one who has the reputation to have a strong position on the subject.
    But reading that would lead someone to believe that Debian said it was okay and acceptable to do that and the issue was closed and time to move on. That is not the case. I suspect that the beginning of next year the non-free firmware/bits will be gone from main.
    Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!"

  7. #507
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Beans
    1,252

    Re: Poll: Binary NVidia/ATI Drivers in Ubuntu?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kristen Lucas View Post
    In fact, they believe in it so much that you can thank then for making your wireless working, if that code hadn't been reverse engineered in OpenBSD, it would never have happened.
    Hum don't know what you mean, but you should know that not all wireless cards need the same driver. I don't really need to thank OpenBSD to get my wireless card working, but i thank intel to make it driver GPL (also it need a binary-only firmware)
    WARNING : Post with explicit contents
    Join to "STOP monolithic all-in-one unmanageable application"
    The wiki is your friend https://help.ubuntu.com/community/

  8. #508
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Beans
    99

    Re: Poll: Binary NVidia/ATI Drivers in Ubuntu?

    Quote Originally Posted by givré View Post
    Hum don't know what you mean, but you should know that not all wireless cards need the same driver. I don't really need to thank OpenBSD to get my wireless card working, but i thank intel to make it driver GPL (also it need a binary-only firmware)
    I don't even know where to start, the Intel driver is a perfect example of reverse engineering made by OpenBSD.

    And no, it does not need binary-only firmware in OpenBSD.

  9. #509
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Beans
    1,252

    Re: Poll: Binary NVidia/ATI Drivers in Ubuntu?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kristen Lucas View Post
    I don't even know where to start, the Intel driver is a perfect example of reverse engineering made by OpenBSD.

    And no, it does not need binary-only firmware in OpenBSD.
    Ok, i need to know more about that. I always thought that the driver was provide by intel himself. Can you give me some explanation/link... that's interesting.
    WARNING : Post with explicit contents
    Join to "STOP monolithic all-in-one unmanageable application"
    The wiki is your friend https://help.ubuntu.com/community/

  10. #510
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Beans
    99

    Re: Poll: Binary NVidia/ATI Drivers in Ubuntu?

    Quote Originally Posted by givré View Post
    Ok, i need to know more about that. I always thought that the driver was provide by intel himself. Can you give me some explanation/link... that's interesting.
    www.openbsd.org go there and look at the HCL and click the links from there. )

    Intel has provided source code so heavily coded and so not commented that you couldn't actually review it, just compile it, it's pretty much the same as closed source, that had to do with their open drivers for other things though.

    They have said that without the appropriate licences to reveal their code they could not do so, but Cisco said that their vrrp licence was not inflicting which they couldn't know as the hsrp license could be inflicting on both.

    Software patents are pure idiocy.

    http://www.openbsd.org/lyrics.html#35

Page 51 of 85 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •