View Poll Results: Should binary NVidia/ATI drivers be automatically installed&activated in Ubuntu?

Voters
2132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (while informing the user of the relevant issues, etc.)

665 31.19%
  • No (such drivers can stay in a non-free repo, just like now)

328 15.38%
  • Users should be given a choice about this during installation

1,139 53.42%
Page 46 of 85 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Binary NVidia/ATI Drivers in Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu users will totally loose control of their systems

aysiu said:

«The support here is incredible while also being friendly.»

Speak for your self my friend. I haved posted perhaps more than 10 posts asking for help and I didn't obtained any help, of any kind!

Make a search on my nick and see for yourself, if you don't believe me.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, cause I'm not leaving Ubuntu because of that, but because I believe in free software and I don't like to be cheated.

zetetic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMO View Post
    I agree, to think anything as emotionless as software is evil would be quite silly.

But to think that it doesn't have technical and pratical problems is very short sighted. you will be giving up future proof, solid solutions in favour of hidden unknown variables which you have no control over.

it's not practical in the long run.
    And it very well may be degrading to the OS. And when that happens, "apt-get remove." Again, the benefit of linux. Choice.
    Good at writing shell scripts? Know anything about GTK programming?
    Help out a new project at http://www.s-online.org/labels/About.html

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zetetic View Post

As a matter of fact, I don't give a s&7$ for MS monopoly. I hate Microsoft but it doesn't affect me. I don't fear Microsoft, I don't fear software patents, I don't fear Bush or Putin, I don't live in the USA, Russia, or any other dangerous country.
    You are lucky. In my country the government and all official public institutions uses exclusively Microsoft software, that of course is paid and paid with the money of people (taxes) among others mine. I paid my share to Microsoft eveytime i pay my IRS (taxes) that i declare to the computers of government with Microsoft, money that go out of my bank that uses Microsoft products on they computers, to keep my bank account and apparently to keep it safe... and so on.
    As you can imagine in my country we don't have that granted security that you seems to have in yours... Bush even make his war declarations on the soil of my country, with the prime minister of my country on his side offering accordance and support... Mine is definitively not a country safe or independent of that kind of vampire/predator creatures, outside and insider politics, unlike yours...
    I'm not obdurate with Microsoft. I've never bought software in all my life.
    In my country no one do it too.
    Everybody pirates. They prefer to steal to use OpenSource. That make people even more dependent of Microsoft products seen as very "inexpensive"

PS may i correct (slightly your english(Pt). I wonder how many understood the word Iraque that you used? (that end of the word que... )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

aysiu said:

«The support here is incredible while also being friendly.»

Speak for your self my friend. I haved posted perhaps more than 10 posts asking for help and I didn't obtained any help, of any kind!

Anyway, it doesn't matter, cause I'm not leaving Ubuntu because of that, but because I believe in free software and I don't like to be cheated.

zetetic
    My friend, I believe you are making a mistake. If you are going over to Debian you will NEED a community like this. Without ANY proprietary drivers you'll be quite lost, confused, and in trouble without a community like this. Debian is much different then Ubuntu in many ways. Setup being a big one.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Speak for your self my friend.
    I am. I never said the support was good for you. I was giving specific reasons why I am staying with Ubuntu.
    Then leave.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    I am. I never said the support was good for you. I was giving specific reasons why I am staying with Ubuntu.
    Then leave.
    Amen.

Beans

Should all software be open source? Isn’t the hardware requiring the driver’s proprietary? Is it worth giving up the rights to alter a piece of software for reliability?
    Should someone figure out a way to develop open source hardware? Am I just rambling?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

For future reference, don't ask for help in the Faq's forum. No one will see your post there. Don't ask for help in an already existing thread either. No one will see your post there.

Just a couple of suggestions.

/Mimsy
    February 2010: Back after two years of Ubuntu hiatus!
    I'm practically starting over, and trying to catch up. Please be patient with me.

Java server of choice: Large French Press

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

And it very well may be degrading to the OS. And when that happens, "apt-get remove." Again, the benefit of linux. Choice.
    You don't seem to think that your action effect anyone else, this is a community not a shop selling software products. If you don't think Binary Drivers are technicaly problematic _for us all_ then you are effecting the entire community to the detriment.

In short you are selfish as well as short sighted.

My friend, I believe you are making a mistake. If you are going over to Debian you will NEED a community like this. Without ANY proprietary drivers you'll be quite lost, confused, and in trouble without a community like this. Debian is much different then Ubuntu in many ways. Setup being a big one.
    Bull Locks my good chum, you are dancing on some very bad assumptions.
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'
    Programmer, Teacher and Artist

Beans

Then leave.
    damn, that took 10 pages. ugh

Page 46 of 85 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast