Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying an mp3 (ogg) Player

Beans

Buying an mp3 (ogg) Player

Hello Everyone,

So about a week ago i broke my mp3 player, and the bill to repair is more then its worth, so I think I am going to replace it. Since the only reason I kept mp3s was because of that, I wanted to rid myself of mp3s and start using the ogg format.

So I was wondering if someone knew a good ogg player, whether you need to hack it. I have over 10 GB of songs.

The choices I thought were ipod with rockboc, but I was trying to lean away from contributing to Apple; Zen Vision:m, but I don't know how well it works with linux and I don't know of a hack to get it to play ogg; and the iriver H10, but I have not heard good things about it. Does anyone have any good suggestions?

Thanks for all your help.

Beans

Re: Buying an mp3 (ogg) Player

Why steer clear of Apple? What's wrong with them? The iPod is still, by far, the best portable music player out there. Granted if you'll be using it with oggs and (I assume) on Linux, you do lose a major reason why it's so good: iTunes.

It does suck that Apple won't support Ogg directly.
    saidsecrets -- social polling website

Beans

Samsung YP-U1 plays Ogg, but is only 1GB in size.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Apple is proprietary, that's why a number (addmittedly small) number of people like me prefer to stay clear of it. Why would I ditch Windows & then go ahead & buy myself an iPod? That's not very consistent, is it? But I get your point, iPod is neat.

I have been using a iRiver H340 (40 GB). It's a bit bulky but it plays OGG, no problem. The only fly in the ointment is the fact that OGG consumes much more battery power than MP3 does. If I play MP3's my battery would last twice as long (16 hours).

On the whole I can recommend iRiver. The latest device are even better.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wieman01 View Post
    Apple is proprietary, that's why a number (addmittedly small) number of people like me prefer to stay clear of it. Why would I ditch Windows & then go ahead & buy myself an iPod? That's not very consistent, is it? But I get your point, iPod is neat.
    How is the iPod proprietary? It plays mp3s and wavs natively, and can play just about any other audio format with third party help.

I think quality is a much better determining factor in what to use than things like proprietariness. I don't use Windows because it sucks. I do have an iPod because it's great. But different strokes.
    saidsecrets -- social polling website

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tortus View Post
    I think quality is a much better determining factor in what to use than things like proprietariness. I don't use Windows because it sucks. I do have an iPod because it's great. But different strokes.
    iTunes is proprietary format. Try to copy songs from your MP3 player on to another device & play it. You can't, right?

But yes, you cannot argue about taste.

The good thing about iRiver and similar devices is that you don't even need a software to load them.

Beans
    Hidden!

I am following this thread closely because I am in a similar situation.

I have the choice, for free, of an ipod nano (4gb) or a Zen Micro (5gb)and I don't know which one to choose.

The ipod wins hands down on looks, available accessories, etc. but the software requirements and the flaky linux compatibility puts me off.

The Zen is probably a better machince for linux but just does not have that pzazz if you know what I mean.
    Never eat more than you can lift!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by tortus View Post
    Why steer clear of Apple? What's wrong with them?...
    It does suck that Apple won't support Ogg directly.
    Answered your own question hehehe

Samsung offers players that work with ogg. I have the YP-C1.
    How to install and run Photoshop 7 or earlier in wine
    Switched to Linux completely 1 January 2007 Ahh, a solid year of freedom
    My Website

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Titus A Duxass View Post
    I am following this thread closely because I am in a similar situation.

I have the choice, for free, of an ipod nano (4gb) or a Zen Micro (5gb)and I don't know which one to choose.

The ipod wins hands down on looks, available accessories, etc. but the software requirements and the flaky linux compatibility puts me off.

The Zen is probably a better machince for linux but just does not have that pzazz if you know what I mean.
    I faced a similar situation a while ago (iPot is simply tooposh to ignore it)... Let me put it this way: Both devices will ultimately scratch and be subject to abrasion, etc. And believe it or not, the design will lose its appeal in a matter of months, the device is in your pocket most of the time anyway, am I right? So what remains is what's in there and not a fancy design. Zen Micro will continue to play OGG, iPod won't.

Beans
    Hidden!

So what remains is what's in there and not a fancy design. Zen Micro will continue to play OGG, iPod won't.
    Damn, I was hoping for a good push to ipod, but....
    Never eat more than you can lift!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast