Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: xgl--why I have chosen not to use it

Beans
    Hidden!

xgl--why I have chosen not to use it

Hey! I'm a new member of Ubuntu forums! I'm also fairly new to Ubuntu as well. I'm using edgy and it's looking great.

The purpose of this post is to discourage people from using Xgl with Beryl. Yes, it does look cool. I have tried it several times and I truly wish that I could use it on my computer. There are problems that I cannot tolerate. Sometimes, randomly, it will not work. One problem that I had on occasion was when I logged in, all the window boarders were appearing and disappearing quickly. Several other things failed whenever this happened and it was impossible to use the computer. Each time that happened I had to restart X.

I don't know about the rest of you, but when the computer randomly crashes, something is not right. It worries me because I really don't like the idea of my Ubuntu not being stable when the default setting works perfectly.

I don't want people to hate me for this because I am a noob and don't know what I'm talking about. I have messed with different settings and setups of xgl over about 16 installs of ubuntu. I'm really tired of messing with it and it seems that there will always be little problems. If I'm wrong, tell me, but for now I think I'll stay away from it and I would recommended to anyone new to Ubuntu to stay away as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: xgl--why I have chosen not to use it

Thanks for sharing your experience. I've never even been tempted to try XGL, and I'm happy to wait until it's more dveloped before I adopt it. While I also feel that newcomers to Ubuntu are best advised to keep things simple (walk before you run), in the end everyone is free to pursue their curiosity, and bling is very seductive! What I'm saying is that I wouldn't expect your advice to dissuade users from trying it for themselves.

Beans

As far as I know, Beryl is a beta and when it's a beta, it means it will crash or freeze every now and then. Again, some people get it to work beautifully while others can't even get it to boot!!! Therefore, if you need your machine to do some serious work, then don't even messing about with beryl, xgl, or any other goodies/eye candies right now.

Move to Cafe.
    In the world of Linux, who needs Windows and Gates...

Got most of my golden beans at an auction on eBay (with a couple of free drinks).

Beans

I completely agree!

Xgl,beryl, compiz are all bits of software in heavy development. Xgl hasn't got that long left IMO with the introduction of AIGLX into xorg7.1

NONE of these are beginners subjects! I have moved countless threads from beginners to general help to try 1. give them better help & 2. shield compeltely new users from something that will break their system first time.

I think i'll leave this thread here though - but seems like taurus moved it instead

Pricey
    Every time you install Jaunty, a kitten........ wait sorry what year is this again?
    Please don't PM support questions, post a thread so that everyone can benefit
    Join us in #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net

Beans

XGL will surely die. AIGLX is the future and very stable. The factor of instability is excessive usage of 3D-accelerated desktop features or in short terms: Beryl.
    simplicity is perfection

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by chaosgeisterchen View Post
    XGL will surely die. AIGLX is the future and very stable.
    i've heard that too. one of the reasons is that XGL is a hacked Xorg whereas AIGLX is nothing more than a plugin for Xorg. when Xorg gets updated with the necessary additions, XGL will be superfluous.

Beans

but doesn't aiglx only work with open source drivers? or is this a misconception? unfortunately, open source drivers aren't cutting it for some people at the moment...neither open nor proprietary work for me so i'm out of luck for the moment.

Beans

The nVidia beta drivers are not open source and they work perfectly with AIGLX. Need I say more?
    simplicity is perfection

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I am sorry you had trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by d3br074 View Post
    The purpose of this post is to discourage people from using Xgl with Beryl.
    1. You should not discourage others.
    2. Just state why Xgl is not for you.

Xgl is known to be "buggy" and IMO is in development.

When you run Linux you have a choice of stability vs. bleeding edge. When running bleeding edge applications you should be willing to accept a few bugs if not outright crashes.

I don't know about the rest of you, but when the computer randomly crashes, something is not right. It worries me because I really don't like the idea of my Ubuntu not being stable when the default setting works perfectly.
    Unlike Windows, the problems you are describing are not causing any "damage" to your hardware, it is just a software crash.

If you run bleeding edge you should be willing to debug and file bug reports with developers.

In my experience, although they may be "geeky" developers are typically very helpful.

I don't want people to hate me for this because I am a noob
    LOL No worries. Ubutnu is noob friendly. Welcome to Linux.

My advice is to learn a little about Linux before you run bleeding edge. Personally I have a "production" Linux install I depend on and do not fuss with.

I "play" on several experimental partitions, and have broken Ubuntu more then once. If, however, I break one of these patitions no worries.

If I find an improvement that I consider stable, I will install it into production.

HTH
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by maniacmusician View Post
    but doesn't aiglx only work with open source drivers? or is this a misconception?
    I installed Beryl with the beta nVidia drivers on my friend's computer with no problems. So I guess you're misinformed, to some extent.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast