Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beryl Opinion

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Beryl Opinion

Hi,

After using Beryl exhaustively for almost a week now, I have come to the conclusion that it is not worth it. The effects can get you dizzy after continuous usage, computer get slow because Beryl eats lot of resources and on top of that Beryl is still in beta phase. On known graphics card it can be setup easily but then for many other cards lot of tweaking is required. Overall, we still need to wait for a while when it is more stable and drivers are more readily available and it is as easy as 'sudo apt-get install beryl emerald'.

I have disabled it from startup (from both lappy and desktop) and it is for fun purpose only and to show other non linux people about 3D Desktop.

What is your opinion guys on this topic ???

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Beryl Opinion

Same opinion.

Not worth it.

Experimental/unstable. Mainly eye candy.

I work better with IceWM and a few Gnome utilities...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I guess I'd have to disagree. While I certainly won't call it 'ready for primetime' I have only had one minor issue with it. Once while using my computer things started slowing to a halt and freezing. I'm not sure what happened because I haven't had an issue since then. To each his (or her) own...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

of course its not worth it. which is why i haven't bothered to install compiz or beryl and why i'm not likely to bother. its just eye candy for eye candy's sake. pointless.

Beans
    Hidden!

Argh... Beryl has disappointed me, I expected it to be much more stable...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

For me it's a lot more than eye candy. It's what finally makes Linux on the desktop on par with XP and OS X. With proper and stable compositing it now supercedes both by far.

I don't need the wobbly windows, but I do need that the desktop displays windows smoothly as you move them around, maximize and minimize. I need that the visual environment I spend hours a day on is good looking. I don't use OS X much, but when I do work with it, it is beautiful and for me visual beauty is part of utility. With the compositing finally on Linux I have what was the major missing link.

As far as Beryl vs Compiz goes the jury is still out for me. Compiz never crashed or glitched for me at all. Beryl has a few times. It's still pretty stable. I only remember it locking up my computer twice, occasionally I have to reload it. When that happens I don't lose anything.

In the past I have played with Compngr and KDE compositing. I loved both, and longed for them to be stable enough to use, but they never were. Beryl is for me now. I might need to add that I'm using Dapper.

Now I'm bummed about the Novell thing. Does anyone know if Beryl is a self-sufficient fork and no longer dependent on or associated with Novell at all?
    Last edited by vayu; November 10th, 2006 at 09:33 PM.

Beans

It's self-suffiecient now.

I like Beryl (prefer Compiz), but recently, both feel very slow (although they report the same frame rates). Perhaps it's due to a Feisty X.org update.

Anyhoo; this just reminded me how usable Metacity really is. I don't really miss the compositions, but I like to use it to show off to friends .

Beans

It slows down my system at a rate I can not always accept...

Especially the fact that typing sometimes has now latency up to an second lets me wonder. 2D was much faster with fglrx ages ago.
    simplicity is perfection

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

ive found the slowness to be a problem with the refresh rate, after i unticked the detect refresh rate it was the same but i changed it manually in numeric preferences to 85 and its very snappy and doesnt feel slow at all, try it at 85 or more...

Beans

I don't get in any computer shutdown's, but my computer locks up(beta Nvidia), They came out with a new version of the driver so I guess I'll try that, or wait for KDE 4.

imho its so worth it

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast