Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Linux be bought?

Can Linux be bought?

After hearing the microsoft and novell made a deal, I became both happy and a little alarmed. I remember when Bill Gates said that linux is not a treat, and now that they are making a deal with a major linux distributor, it seems we have become a threat. And I was thrilled, but than my microscft married brother, pointed out somethin, this is how a lot of microsoft takeovers occured. My question in the end is can Linux be "bought" and re-patented by microsoft? I know there is GPL licences but how does that work and how does it protect Linux developer's work and users.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Can Linux be bought?

Not easily. Buying Linux itself and re-licensing it would require contact with every single developer who's ever worked on the kernel and their consent to do so, and of course Linus would still never do it. Even if it were possible to buy it, it would just be forked into something else. Nothing to fear.

Beans

I am by no means an expert but it is an interesting, if alarmist notion. I mean really they wouldn't have to find a way to buy 'all'of it, just enough to make what's left impractible or un usable. So to re-write the question, perhaps it should be 'Does Linus have his price?'!!!
    ~~ Ubuntu Forums Firefox/Flock Menu ~~ Ubuntu User Number 206 ~~ Linux user number 403379 ~~

~~ If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything don't do it. ~~

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by adam.tropics View Post
    So to re-write the question, perhaps it should be 'Does Linus have his price?'!!!
    No
    "I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by OffHand View Post
    No
    LOL I thought that was going to be the first reply to the OP

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper

I don't think we're in Redmond anymore Toto.....
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 8546

Beans
    Hidden!

Linus - YES (imo)
    Linux - NO!
    You cannot buy linux exclusively. What is GPL is ALWAYS GPL!

That being said they could buy a relicensed copy of it but that is also near impossible and some of the copyright holders would NEVER do that.

Beans

Even if they could, why would they? They have theyre on nice software and they dont need linux. Maybe on the server market they would be able to take advantage but still that wouldnt affect projects like Ubuntu. But like already said it would still be near to impossible to relicense linux.

Beans

and remember Linux is the kernel.
    GNU project leader stallman is working on other kernel HURD that will run instead of Linux and will work with GNU.
    and stallman would NEVER sell the rights to the GNU and/or HURD.

Beans

They would also have to buy the open version of BSD. If any of these people were only interested in money, they would be programming things in MS Windows as that's where the big money is.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast