Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's with the zealotry?

Beans

What's with the zealotry?

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000121

Why do people need to exaggerate like that?
    All of a sudden, 'Novell is teh evil!'

Sheesh!

They're doing what they think is the best choice for their company. Why is that so hard to understand?

Ideology, okay, but please, why the exaggeration?

Beans

Re: What's with the zealotry?

I'm sorry you will have to be cast out of the community for posting such a thing. It is heresy to mention the traitor to Linux.

Actually I could care one way or another. As long as it does not effect Ubuntu an anyway, they can play together and I encourage it a little.
    I believe we may even get some goodies out of it as a side-effect. (Kinda like Tang from NASA) Certain programs or even games that we want to play on linux may come about now. We'll see it is so broad it is really hard to tell what is going to happen. That is unless you want to look like a certain farm animal and spout things off at the mouth because of a knee jerk reaction.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mathiasdm View Post
    http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000121

Why do people need to exaggerate like that?
    All of a sudden, 'Novell is teh evil!'

Sheesh!

They're doing what they think is the best choice for their company. Why is that so hard to understand?

Ideology, okay, but please, why the exaggeration?
    I really don't understand neither. Come on, it's not a big deal. A partnership between Microsoft and a company distributing Linux, that happens every day, right? And it's perfectly logical when you know how much Microsoft likes Linux and the open source movment, and how much they support it since the beginning, and how much it's in their interest.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Do you think Microsoft ISN'T looking at ways to either kill or subvert Linux?
    Look back on Microsoft's predatory history against any other perceived competitor. Do you think they're just gonna sit still and await the inevitable?
    They can't seem to produce better software than Linux, so the best route is to sue, and this "deal" with Novell may be the opening they're looking for.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

"Your Internet ad was brought to my attention, but I can't figure out what, if anything, SuSE does, so rather than risk competing with you, I've decided simply to buy you out."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

A publicly traded corporation is not good or evil, it's obligated to do whatever will fatten the shareholders wallets the most. It's the whole damn system with corporations that is flawed, fudging up the planet and humanity for the sake of short term profit for some.

Beans

Why the zealotry? Well, it's not everyday that a previously worthwhile company signs a deal with the devil, and agrees to pay them royalties regularly in exchange not to get sued.
    "I refuse to be part of a society that encourages the rampant abuse of its own language." ~ The Black Mage

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shining View Post
    I really don't understand neither. Come on, it's not a big deal. A partnership between Microsoft and a company distributing Linux, that happens every day, right? And it's perfectly logical when you know how much Microsoft likes Linux and the open source movment, and how much they support it since the beginning, and how much it's in their interest.
    I know the move is weird, and I know it might cause problems (even big ones), but people are overreacting towards Novell (imho). Also, folks, Microsoft is not the devil! I know, their business tactics are despicable, but they've done some good things too, you know.

Some people seem to be acting like we're talking about a religion here! (No offence meant to any religions)

Beans

I do really hope that the cooperation between Novell and Microsoft will provide us way better interoperability between the two very different operating systems. We can only profit from this agreement as Novell will provide their achievements under GPL and therefore open source - at least I expect them to do so.
    simplicity is perfection

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chaosgeisterchen View Post
    I do really hope that the cooperation between Novell and Microsoft will provide us way better interoperability between the two very different operating systems. We can only profit from this agreement as Novell will provide their achievements under GPL and therefore open source - at least I expect them to do so.
    Actually, the only benefit for Microsoft I see is if they only provide a better interoperability between Windows and Suse, and not with the other linux distrib, so that they get more users.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast