Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Giving CREDIT, where/when CREDITS is due

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Giving CREDIT, where/when CREDITS is due

A little info, I am completely new to linux. First Distro is Ubuntu Dapper, I think I first tried Flight 5 back in March, so needless to say, I am what you call a newbie. I am now using Dapper, I believe the exact name of the download was 6.06.1.

I came to this forum for help on pretty much anything and everything related to linux in general and obviously Ubuntu specific things. I recieved great help installing and setting up my ftp server using proftpd 1.2.10-27. I set it up using TLS as I thought it would be a good idea to encrypt the password when I sent it to my server, no annoynomous access here! There is a great how-to for proftpd with user access that I used in these forums. The author of the how-to helped me along the way and he is a very nice person. We PM'd each other several times regarding folder access limits, write limits etc etc. Well, one day I noticed that there were updates, so I clicked on the little orange icon and I wanted to review them before I clicked install. I noticed that proftpd had an upgrade (this is apparently due to my sources.list having the backports enabled) and I thought, "man, i just installed it, hopefully it doesn't screw it up!" So I upgraded and proftpd asked me if I wanted to keep my current cong file or use the new one supplied. Well I don't know what happened but I screwed something up and ended up just doing a sudo aptitude remove proftpd && aptitude purge proftpd and did everything again. Well I got it back to the way it was but I noticed that this time, when I would restart the server, it didn't ask me for the passphrases for the server.ca and key.ca or whatever those 2 files are, it's because if you want proftpd to use tls the key is actually encyrpted within those files. That's funny? It used to always ask me for the passphrases prior to me upgrading to version 1.3?? So I thought I would go back to the guy that has helped me with proftpd all along, the author of the how-to, I sent a pm to him. He told me to erase my cert folders and redo all the tls stuff. I did it all again step by step and it still wasn't working, I mean the server was working fine, it was the fact that when I chose to restart the server after changing some settings, it didn't ask me for the passwords. I asked him how I would know if the password I send to the ftp server was actaully using tls and he said, it would say it while it's logging in, well, it wasn't working with tls. So he said that if I re-did all the tls steps over correctly, which I did, I actually did them like 3 different times, he couldn't help me anymore, so off to gogle I went. After hours and hours and forums upon forums I finally established that Proftpd version 1.3 that's in the Dapper Repo's does NOT have mod_tls.c and a few others like sql compiled into it!! What gives? So I again went back to the guy who wrote up the proftpd how-to (he is a forum moderator I forgot to mention this), I informed him of my findings and he confirmed that I was correct and that he would write a bug report (see here; https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu...+bug/68735)and inform the developers. I thought, WOW, I am a newbie and I figured this out??? I was so happy with myself. I wrote a thread immediately, (here it is: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...hlight=proftpd) trying to get the word out to people so that they WOULDN'T upgrade (if they have backports enabled) if they wanted to use TLS and they didn't want to have to compile version 1.3 from source. All of a sudden I see a thread started by the author of the proftpd how-to (the guy that I had informed this security issue to) that states that the proftpd version in Edgy doesn't have mod_tls compiled in. So I posted a comment asking for my credit or props for being the one who actually found this out. He PM's me telling me he doesn't know what I am talking about and how he doesn't like my tone and that he doesn't know what credit I am looking for. Well I am pretty frustrated by this obsurd accusation so I start copying and pasting all the PM's that went back and forth between him and I regarding this matter and he still won't acknowledge that I should get credit for this! I mean, come on, I am a newbie, you would think that a forum moderator would have the decency to give a linux n00b/newbie some credit for this??

So, my question is, should the thread that warned of proftpd in Edgy not having tls compiled into it have credited the person who originally found and documented this security flaw with the version 1.3 which is in the Dapper backport Repo's as well as the Edgy repo's?

Next question, was it acceptable for me to ask that he give me credit, I figured he may have just not remembered my screen name or maybe even forgot about our whole conversation (although I don't see how you can forget that since it was only a week ago)?

Thank you if you read this and respond.

Beans

Re: Giving CREDIT, where/when CREDITS is due

Well, it would be nice to give credit where credit is due, however, you can rest easy knowing this: you were able to figure out the problem on your own. It is good that you are learning how to search effectively, trouble-shoot and ultimately help yourself.

As for the person who posted the bug report, he did not appear to take credit himself, he just did not acknowledge that it was you who pointed out the problem. I honestly don't know if the Launchpad is generally used to 'credit' the finder of the bug (unlike most MS patches that credit eEye or other person that finds a vulnerability) or if it's just a somewhat anonymous place to post bugs. My advice --- don't lose any sleep over it.

The internet-at-large may not know about your findings, but YOU do (and so do I).

Good detective work, Sherlock Holmes!

-DAve

Beans

while it is nice to give credit where it's due, its generally more of a nice gesture than anything else. Demanding credit is kinda childish to me. Just be glad that you figured it out and could help others, thats what community is all about really.
    As a counterpoint, imagine if EVERY line of help had credit to it. That is, everytime someone answered a question, they had to search the forums AND the internet to find who actually figured it out first. And, what if perhaps someone else figured this TLS thing out beforehand, and then in turn demanded credit back. just gets to be messy.
    but good work anyhow.
    If you are having trouble and need help...or just bored and want somebody to talk to, feel free to message me on any of the IM clients listed in the profile .

Beans

Thread moved to Resolution Center so that dannyboy79's issues with the moderating staff can be resolved.

He has been notified the thread has been moved here.

ONLY dannyboy79 and the Forum Administrators are permitted to reply below this post!
    Every time you install Jaunty, a kitten........ wait sorry what year is this again?
    Please don't PM support questions, post a thread so that everyone can benefit
    Join us in #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro

There is absolutely NO REASON the should have been moved here. I want a LEGITAMANT DOCUMENTED REASON why this was moved. I put it in the Cafe because I want to hear what others have to say about giving credit where it is deserved and if I was out of line to ASK for credit, I never ever demanded it. I have broken no rules and for this to be moved here is simply an abuse of power by the moderator and I want this returned to either the backyard for everyones feedback or back in the Cafe. Thank you.

Beans

I will look at this and respond in due course
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    I will look at this and respond in due course

thank you.

Beans
    Distro

Give credit where/when credit is due

Two simple questions for everyone

1. The scenario, you inform someone about a security issue with a newly provided deb in the repo's. They go off and start a thread informing everyone about the issue and not mention your name at all. They also post that same security issue in 2 other locations throughout the forums and not once mention that you were the one that informed them about it.

1. The question, would you be disappointed with this person and had wished they would've mentioned your name at least once? (Key ingredient, you are a linux n00b who after hours of research found this security issue within the compiled deb)

2. The scenario, it just so happens that this actually occured to me today! I posted a comment within the thread ASKING, NOT demanding, for some credit.

2. Question, would you have done the same thing, if not, what would you have done if anything? (Again keeping in mind how stoked you would be regarding the fact that less than 6 months ago you knew absolutely nothing about linux!)

Note: I wish I could be more detailed but the first time I posted these questions I had included the whole story that unraveled to get my point accross and it was moved to the resolution center stating the reason being, well, I can't tell you why, otherwise this thread might get moved as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Give credit where/when credit is due

In the open source community you will find two extremes on this issue as well as the majority of people somewhere in between them.

Some will say "credit me for everything I say, do, or even think" and it becomes akin to crying out for attention and the spotlight.

Others will say "you should always try to do what you can to help others whether anyone notices or not." This can lead to hurt feelings and burnout.

Bottom line for me personally: I would be happy to have helped someone else whether acknowledged or not, although it is certainly nice when efforts are appreciated and noted. Striving for recognition makes people look petty and small but never giving recognition does the same thing. In other words, it's all about balance and gracefulness.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Give credit where/when credit is due

dannyboy79,

You should have GPL'd your solution. As such, it is public domain, and you lose all credit. Sorry.

Seriously, I believe you should get credit, but are you really all that worried about it? Bug finding is everyone's job and everyone should benefit, so in the end it doesn't matter.

When programming, I always at least add a comment to someone's contribution with their name and point of contact (from a forum/IM/whatever) next to whatever code the person helped me with. It makes me feel better, but most of the time people really don't care, so meh.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast