Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: alternatives to gmail, gcalendar, personalized

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

alternatives to gmail, gcalendar, personalized

I like my privacy, as I'm sure many do.

So it goes that google is storing all your emails etc.
    http://www.gmail-is-too-creepy.com/

I use www.fastmail.fm now with pgp encryption locally, but I'm not sure exactly what their privacy policy is, and I certainly don't receive all my email encrypted.

Also, I'm looking for a way to be able to access an online icalendar that will be private, or only visible to people I allow.

If people would be so kind as to list some email services they like that have good privacy policies (pay or free) and also some online calendars they use.

Basically I want to use these services securely, if thats even possible anymore.

I'm using www.netvibes.com as a replacement for google personalized home.
    You can try out www.pageflakes.com as well.

Edit: Also any services that respect your privacy and host files for you. I'm using box.net, but again, I'm not sure what the privacy policy really is.
    Last edited by jms830; November 9th, 2006 at 08:31 AM.
    Your video ipod will work with Amarok.

Beans

Re: alternatives to gmail, gcalendar, personalized

I think that you should look an ezManagement. It is a perfect tool to easily plan, organize, track, manage and share tasks of any nature: events, meetings, appointments, business tasks, personal activities, etc. You can to involve people into the activities of your interest. http://ezmanageonline.com/ Enjoy!

Beans
    Hidden!

I too would like a new free email service
    Linux user #438926.|Ubuntu Linux #10924| Questions: The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I hate to disappoint... on the internet, nothing is secure. All the ciphers in the world with all the encryption possible can be hacked with enough time and devotion. If you are that scared of privacy, just unplug the computer from the internet.

Most companies will boast privacy policies bulging like a fat wallet, but when met with any legal terra-firma and they cave tucking tails until the beast is satiated. The only way I've found to be 100% secure is to not use it for critical means.

Diggin up the old posts.

Beans

But I think, our life can't exist without Internet now/ That's we have to find compromisses. I think, that this system may take you enogh secure.

Beans

So your asking for a free online service where they don't store your data but encrypt it and offer it to you?

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to laugh at this. Take it from a fellow privacy nut, the only way to be secure is to unplug the computer, or set everything up yourself. Your own mail server, your own app server hosting your calendar app, and layers on top of layers of security. Long passwords, everything encrypted with one encryption tool, then encrypted again by another, the list goes on and on.

Also, that google is creepy link is very badly done. In public speaking at the college I attend, they teach a list of logical fallacies. That article suffers from an Ad Hominem and Slippery Slope fallacies, and leaves out any supporting statistics. It also throws in a Red Herring with the online privacy act, which really has nothing to do with any of the authors claims on google. Everything about google except google.com has a EULA, that you must agree to in order to use it. So they aren't doing anything devious or evil, they are offering services in exchange for collecting your data, as most online services do. It seems everyone goes on a witch hunt against the biggest dog in any field, and reminds me of that episode of southpark where they try to kill walmart only to have to destroy their local stores later once they become as large as walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by InetManager View Post
    But I think, our life can't exist without Internet now/ That's we have to find compromises. I think, that this system may take you enough secure.
    large sections of the world go without the internet, and it wouldn't be that hard to deal without it. It would make things less convenient, but I wouldn't go so far as to say life can't exist without it.
    Last edited by Xzallion; May 10th, 2007 at 07:13 AM.
    There was a sig here, now its gone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I am thinking about this matter in this particular way: who is interested in spying me or read my mails etc, a insignificant user without much importance and knowledge? it just doesn't worth the effort
    The limits of my language mean the limits of my world

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

karellen
    I am thinking about this matter in this particular way: who is interested in spying me or read my mails etc, a insignificant user without much importance and knowledge? it just doesn't worth the effort
    Until your credit report tells you otherwise.
    Even a thousand-mile journey begins with the first step.
    -
    Fall down seven times, get up eight.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Spr0k3t View Post
    I hate to disappoint... on the internet, nothing is secure. All the ciphers in the world with all the encryption possible can be hacked with enough time and devotion. If you are that scared of privacy, just unplug the computer from the internet.

Most companies will boast privacy policies bulging like a fat wallet, but when met with any legal terra-firma and they cave tucking tails until the beast is satiated. The only way I've found to be 100% secure is to not use it for critical means.

Diggin up the old posts.
    Agreed.

It's really a bit amusing how far the paranoid folks of the world take it these days. Conspiracy theories galore, the corporations are out to get us, oh heavens, what shall we do?

When Gmail offers all that storage space and lets their selling point be "you never have to delete anything", that's because they're providing services that users want. High-power online businessmen, and even teenagers, have complained for a long time about the lack of storage space offered by e-mail providers, and the small limits on their attachments. The reason Google provided so much storage and allowed 10MB attachments was because that's what the users wanted, not because they're conspiring to store the entire worlds' emails on their servers.

Google's just a corporation that likes to make money. They make a lot of money through advertising. The more users they have, the more money they'll gain from advertising. It's in their best interest to provide features that users want, and that's what they're doing.

These conspiracy theories are really starting to get on my nerves. If anyone is paranoid about security to such a great extent, they don't have any business being on the internet at all. The moment you even visit any website, you lose a little privacy. The more websites you visit, the more privacy you lose. Once you start posting in forums and online mailing lists, you've got a permanent trail on the internet. Your ISP records everything you do, the websites you visit record everything you do. There's no privacy on the internet.

edit: In summation, Google is just as "safe" or "unsafe" as any other online entity. Don't fool yourself into thinking you'll get more privacy with other tools.
    Last edited by maniacmusician; May 10th, 2007 at 08:03 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Here is simple fact, anything that goes over the internet is basically public domain. Just because you don't use gmail doesn't mean that your e-mail provider cannot read your e-mail without your knowledge. In fact ISP's are required to log all your communication for a certain period of time.

If you want privacy use strong encryption to encode your messages. Tell those you are in contact with to do the same. Don't just think that because your e-mail ends with isp.com you are "safe".
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast