Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question of the Year

Beans

Exclamation Question of the Year

The Cell Processor uses a PPC architecture. I'm curious as to whether the Ubuntu PPC version will currently run on a Playstation 3 (albeit not at it's full potential). If not, I'd like to know if the Ubuntu Dev Team or an independent programmer has any plans to develop an Ubuntu specifically for this platform.
    I believe that Ubuntu on the Playstation 3 will have multiple advantages. First and foremost it would provide a free Linux OS for that platform and raise Linux awareness. Second, this would greatly benefit the Ubuntu Dev Team, because the Cell Processor (presumably) will become the major CPU choice within the next 2-3 years and the programming experience gained from previous work on the Playstation 3 would prove to be invaluable during this era. The Playstation 3 will be the most powerful computer on the low end market and when combined with the power and ease of Ubuntu could be the most widely used PC Platform ever conceived.

Beans

Re: Question of the Year

The PS3 will be running linux as standard...
    Every time you install Jaunty, a kitten........ wait sorry what year is this again?
    Please don't PM support questions, post a thread so that everyone can benefit
    Join us in #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

The new Yellow dog linux is especially made for PS3.

Beans

I'm afraid not. They pulled Linux at the last second, however, Yellow Dog will be shipping a version of theirs specifically tailored to the PS3 platform. Yellow Dog Linux is based off of Fedora Core 5 (at least the version coming out for the PS3) and I love Ubuntu and don't really care for any other distributions (although I do like the new FC6). I know they've released papers on how they tailored the kernel to incorporate the PS3 platform, that's why I've been curious as to whether someone will make an Ubuntu PS3 Version, official or not. (Although, of course, official would be amazing).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vert View Post
    I'm afraid not. They pulled Linux at the last second,
    Could you back this up?
    Every time you install Jaunty, a kitten........ wait sorry what year is this again?

Beans

Beans

Hmm ok

Still... YDL will still be availiable to install on it... why use an ubuntu derivative

Beans

Simply put... Ubuntu is the best there ever was ^^ (I'm an enlightened X-XP user )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

My bet is that the combo ydl and ps3 will become very popular in the months to come... and give linux in general a real boost.

Beans
    Hidden!

I am not so sure about that but if you plan to upgrade your pc because of gaming it is a very attractive alternative.

I see more potential in ps3 based clusters it might even give sony a problem.
    Why can't technology be as simple as the box it comes in ?

VAIO X505 800g pure Debian.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast