357. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good idea: It's time for a change

183 51.26%
  • Neutral

64 17.93%
  • Bad idea: I like the old Unix directory structure

110 30.81%
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: GoboLinux Talk: (Changing the filesystem hierarchy)

Beans

Lightbulb GoboLinux Talk: (Changing the filesystem hierarchy)

Last edited by RAV TUX; January 12th, 2007 at 03:45 AM.

Beans

GoboLinux Talk

I'm downloading GoboLinux now:

here is what distrowatch says:

GoboLinux is a Linux distribution that breaks away from the historical UNIX directory hierarchy. Basically, this means that there are no directories such as /usr and /etc. The main idea of the alternative hierarchy is to store all files belonging to an application in its own separate subtree; therefore we have directories such as /Programs/GCC/2.95.3/lib. To allow the system to find these files, they are logically grouped in directories such as /System/Links/Executables, which, you guessed it, contains symbolic links to all executable files inside the Programs hierarchy. To maintain backwards compatibility with traditional Unix/Linux apps, there are symbolic links that mimic the Unix tree, such as "/usr/bin -> /System/Links/Executables", and "/sbin -> /System/Links/Executables" (this example shows that arbitrary differentiations between files of the same category were also removed).
    This is a Independently Developed Distro so am interested to see how it works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: GoboLinux

Quote Originally Posted by yozef View Post
    I'm downloading GoboLinux now:

here is what distrowatch says:

This is a Independently Developed Distro so am interested to see how it works.
    based on the description, I'm curious also.

Let us know how it works out for ya.

Beans

Arrow Re: GoboLinux

Quote Originally Posted by basketcase View Post
    based on the description, I'm curious also.

Let us know how it works out for ya.
    Verifying the burn now but Gobolinux may have to wait until tomorrow, I also started a download of eLive...I have to wait for it too finish and my bed is calling me....

Beans

some more GoboLinux reading:

Documentation

This website is the primary source of information about GoboLinux.
    Starting points

Things you'll probably want to read first:
    • Frequently Asked Questions - the first question is "what the heck is GoboLinux", so, if you're still wondering... check it out!
    • Installation instructions - the installation guide as included in the distribution. Updated for 010.
    • Installing programs - You installed it. What now? This doc contains useful information for the newcomer. Explains how to make packages and have them integrated with the system.
    Articles

Informal pieces written by GoboLinux developers, which hopefully will shine some light on the spirit of the project and on what goes on the dev's heads. Most of these are just emails sent to gobo-l which were considered worth keeping.
    Docs

Links

Older docs

• Roadmap for 011 - The things we aimed for 011. Did we skip the roadmap on 010???
    • Roadmap for 007 - The things we aimed for 007. Nice to read now and see that we actually did those things.
    • 006 To-do list - a proto-roadmap.
    Publications

Articles on GoboLinux written by team members. The user interested in GoboLinux is directed to read these:
    Press

Websites that covered GoboLinux:
    Academic publications

This section will list scientific articles related to GoboLinux published by members of the team.
    • MUHAMMAD, Hisham. DETSCH, André. Uma nova proposta para a arvore de diretorios UNIX. Proceedings of the III WSL - Workshop em Software Livre, Porto Alegre, 2002. PostScript (Portuguese), LyX (Portuguese), HTML (English), PostScript (English), LyX (English).
    • DETSCH, André. BEDIN, Guilherme B.;. Distribuição GoboLinux. Proceedings of the IV WSL - Workshop em Software Livre, Porto Alegre, 2003. PostScript (Portuguese).
    • MUHAMMAD, Hisham. JEFFMAN, Rafael G.v Portabilidade e flexibilidade em software livre: a experiencia do GoboLinux Proceedings of the IV WSL - Workshop em Software Livre, Porto Alegre, 2003. PostScript (Portuguese), PDF (Portuguese).
    • DAMASIO, Felipe W. VILLA REAL, Lucas C.GoboHide: Uma Solução Flexível e Escalável para Inodes Ocultos no Kernel Linux Proceedings of the IV WSL - Workshop em Software Livre, Porto Alegre, 2003. PDF (Portuguese),
    Presentation slides

This section will list the slides of some GoboLinux presentations.

Beans
    Distro

I came home and downloaded it. After playing with it for about 30 mins or so, here are my thoughts.

http://basketcase.wordpress.com/2006...gobolinux-012/

I can't believe how fast firefox is. I'd load the CD up just to have a quicker browser.

Up next is Knoppix 5.0.1 and GoblinX

Beans

Use Swiftfox, if you want a faster Firefox.

Pay attention, people!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by basketcase View Post
    I came home and downloaded it. After playing with it for about 30 mins or so, here are my thoughts.

http://basketcase.wordpress.com/2006...gobolinux-012/

I can't believe how fast firefox is. I'd load the CD up just to have a quicker browser.

Up next is Knoppix 5.0.1 and GoblinX
    Hey basketcase, could you add your review to this thread ? It's the "sticky" at the top of the page, where we are posting our reviews.
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by richbarna View Post
    Hey basketcase, could you add your review to this thread ? It's the "sticky" at the top of the page, where we are posting our reviews.
    Thanks
    Done

Beans

Lightbulb ***GoboLinux Tech Talk***

I have decided to start a series of threads specifically for technical help for other Distros...the Distro is listed in the thread title. This is primarily for Ubuntu users who test or use other distros and feel most comfortable seeking help in our own community. In no way does this superceed the help you should also be getting from the perspective Distro., in fact I encourage you to be as active in their forums as you are here and post ideas, knowledge and solutions here to provide a reference point to share, reference links are encouraged.

***GoboLinux Tech Talk***

Threads merged:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=226198
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=231285
    Last edited by RAV TUX; August 8th, 2006 at 02:41 AM.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast