Good idea: It's time for a change
Bad idea: I like the old Unix directory structure
Last edited by RAV TUX; January 12th, 2007 at 03:45 AM.
I'm downloading GoboLinux now:
here is what distrowatch says:
This is a Independently Developed Distro so am interested to see how it works.GoboLinux is a Linux distribution that breaks away from the historical UNIX directory hierarchy. Basically, this means that there are no directories such as /usr and /etc. The main idea of the alternative hierarchy is to store all files belonging to an application in its own separate subtree; therefore we have directories such as /Programs/GCC/2.95.3/lib. To allow the system to find these files, they are logically grouped in directories such as /System/Links/Executables, which, you guessed it, contains symbolic links to all executable files inside the Programs hierarchy. To maintain backwards compatibility with traditional Unix/Linux apps, there are symbolic links that mimic the Unix tree, such as "/usr/bin -> /System/Links/Executables", and "/sbin -> /System/Links/Executables" (this example shows that arbitrary differentiations between files of the same category were also removed).
some more GoboLinux reading:
This website is the primary source of information about GoboLinux.
Things you'll probably want to read first:
- Frequently Asked Questions - the first question is "what the heck is GoboLinux", so, if you're still wondering... check it out!
- Installation instructions - the installation guide as included in the distribution. Updated for 010.
- Installing programs - You installed it. What now? This doc contains useful information for the newcomer. Explains how to make packages and have them integrated with the system.
Informal pieces written by GoboLinux developers, which hopefully will shine some light on the spirit of the project and on what goes on the dev's heads. Most of these are just emails sent to gobo-l which were considered worth keeping.
- I am not clueless - by Hisham Muhammad. Or, "Myths and misconceptions about the design of GoboLinux". Makes for good bed-time reading. Also in printer-friendly PDF.
- The ideas behind Compile - by Hisham Muhammad. The ideas on which Compile and the Recipes tree are based on.
- Quick-and-dirty Porting Guide - by Hisham Muhammad. An overview on what would it take to make GoboLinux run in a different architecture.
- Going Embedded with GoboLinux - by Lucas C. Villa Real. A step-by-step guide to port GoboLinux to an embedded architecture.
- Organization: is there any? - by Hisham Muhammad. A long answer to the "who is in charge of what" question.
- GoboHide: surviving aside the legacy tree - by Lucas C. Villa Real. An explanation on how GoboHide was developed and how it works.
- Roadmap for 012 - The things we aim for the next release.
- Differences between GoboLinux and a traditional Linux system - a brief summary of the differences. Not detailed, but still recommended reading if you are installing.
- "Registered" users - Not really documentation, but cool nonetheless. Check it out, and get your name in here!
- Roadmap for 011 - The things we aimed for 011. Did we skip the roadmap on 010???
- Roadmap for 007 - The things we aimed for 007. Nice to read now and see that we actually did those things.
- 006 To-do list - a proto-roadmap.
Articles on GoboLinux written by team members. The user interested in GoboLinux is directed to read these:
- The Unix tree rethought: an introduction to GoboLinux - published on Kuro5hin; local copy.
Websites that covered GoboLinux:
- Linux+ - Distro of the August month.
- Slashdot on The Unix tree rethought.
- Slashdot on The ideas behind Compile
- Slashdot on I am not clueless
- Symlink.ch (in German)
- LinuxFr (in French)
- Bittivuoto (in Finnish)
- Slashzone.ru (in Russian)
- HUP (in Hungarian)
- WhatsUp (in Hebrew)
- PuntBarra (in Catalan)
- Portal.bg (in Bulgarian)
- Slashdot Japan (in Japanese)
- Linux.pl (in Polish)
- Linux Weekly News
- Root.cz (in Czech)
This section will list scientific articles related to GoboLinux published by members of the team.
- MUHAMMAD, Hisham. DETSCH, André. Uma nova proposta para a arvore de diretorios UNIX. Proceedings of the III WSL - Workshop em Software Livre, Porto Alegre, 2002. PostScript (Portuguese), LyX (Portuguese), HTML (English), PostScript (English), LyX (English).
- DETSCH, André. BEDIN, Guilherme B.;. Distribuição GoboLinux. Proceedings of the IV WSL - Workshop em Software Livre, Porto Alegre, 2003. PostScript (Portuguese).
- MUHAMMAD, Hisham. JEFFMAN, Rafael G.v Portabilidade e flexibilidade em software livre: a experiencia do GoboLinux Proceedings of the IV WSL - Workshop em Software Livre, Porto Alegre, 2003. PostScript (Portuguese), PDF (Portuguese).
- DAMASIO, Felipe W. VILLA REAL, Lucas C.GoboHide: Uma Solução Flexível e Escalável para Inodes Ocultos no Kernel Linux Proceedings of the IV WSL - Workshop em Software Livre, Porto Alegre, 2003. PDF (Portuguese),
This section will list the slides of some GoboLinux presentations.
I came home and downloaded it. After playing with it for about 30 mins or so, here are my thoughts.
I can't believe how fast firefox is. I'd load the CD up just to have a quicker browser.
Up next is Knoppix 5.0.1 and GoblinX
Use Swiftfox, if you want a faster Firefox.
Pay attention, people!
this thread ? It's the "sticky" at the top of the page, where we are posting our reviews.
I have decided to start a series of threads specifically for technical help for other Distros...the Distro is listed in the thread title. This is primarily for Ubuntu users who test or use other distros and feel most comfortable seeking help in our own community. In no way does this superceed the help you should also be getting from the perspective Distro., in fact I encourage you to be as active in their forums as you are here and post ideas, knowledge and solutions here to provide a reference point to share, reference links are encouraged.
***GoboLinux Tech Talk***
Last edited by RAV TUX; August 8th, 2006 at 02:41 AM.