Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steam Error: cannot open blob archive file

Beans

Steam Error: cannot open blob archive file

hi there, im a bit of a linux newbie and i have been trying to steam working for a few days now. i have got steam installed on my windows hard drive and am trying to use cedega to get it working in linux. when i try and run steam it gives me this error:

Code:
    Steam.exe (main exception): Cannot open
    blob archive file:
    CMultiFieldBlob(mem-mapped file): Failed to
    open file
    any suggestions as to how to fix this as i really miss CS.

Thanks

Beans

Re: Steam Error: cannot open blob archive file

I've never seen that error before...
    Try running Steam from the command line.
    Code:
    cd /<steam install path>
    cedega steam.exe
    Or try re-installing...
    Linux user #383892

(\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Beans

i have tried running cedega steam.exe and cedega STEAM.exe from the steam folder but that didnt work. i will try installing steam again and let you know how it goes. thanks

Beans

Anytime...
    Linux user #383892

(\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Beans

I've recently ran into the exact same problem... I had a problem just like it on my windows machine and all I had to do was delete the /ClientRegistry.blob
    and it worked fine. For some reason I cannot delete it...something about I don't have permissions.!?

Uninstall doesn't work and if I try to install it says I need to manually turn off steam because another one is running. Any Ideas on how I can turn it off in wine ?

Beans

Try and delete ClientRegistry.blob as a super user.

If that doesn't solve the problem, change the access permission with chmod by running:

Code:
    chmod ugoa+rwx ClientRegistry.blob
    Then delete it again.

Beans

well.. even deleting the .blob file, it still getting the error
    i was getting this error in windwos vista, but i resolved by executing as administrator... (right-click>open as..>Admnistrator)

See the Terminal error
    fixme:spoolsv:serv_main (0 (nil))
    err:service:service_get_status service protocol error - failed to read pipe r = 0 count = 0!
    err:virtual:map_file_into_view shared writable mmap not supported, broken filesystem?
    err:virtual:NtMapViewOfSection map_file_into_view 0x870000 101000 000000000 failed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

It runs fine on my 32bit machine, but I'm getting the same error on 64bit. I even tried the 32bit wine .deb package from winehq, and that didn't resolve the issue. I guess we just need to do a 32bit Ubuntu install for Steam :\

Edit: I was experiencing an issue with a fuse mounted folder, see post #13. 64bit Wine is not an issue.
    Last edited by bobpaul; July 12th, 2008 at 05:02 AM. Reason: Hypothesis wrong.
    Search first, ask questions later!
    From Thread Tools, "Mark this thread as solved" if your problem's been solved.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wow, this is an old thread that just keeps coming back.

If you are all trying to run a copy of Steam that was installed in Windows (like the OP), then that is your problem. Wine is not meant to be used that way and Steam won't work that way since it doesn't have access to the Windows registry while being run in Wine. Install Steam in Linux through Wine (like you are supposed to) and then run it locally from within Linux and you won't have this issue at all.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by cogadh View Post
    Install Steam in Linux through Wine (like you are supposed to) and then run it locally from within Linux and you won't have this issue at all.
    I don't own windows, so installing through is my only option and the option I used.

64bit Ubuntu 8.04 installed this way does not work.

32bit Ubuntu 8.04 installed through wine works fine.

Edit: 64bit machine was also using a fuse mounted file system. That was the issue.
    Last edited by bobpaul; July 12th, 2008 at 05:03 AM.
    Search first, ask questions later!
    From Thread Tools, "Mark this thread as solved" if your problem's been solved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast