Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My thoughts on (Ku/Xu/U)buntu... (In the words of Linus Torvalds)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

My thoughts on (Ku/Xu/U)buntu... (In the words of Linus Torvalds)

Here is my 2 cents on Ubuntu... In the words of Linus Torvalds...

I personally just encourage people to switch to a different distribution.

This "users are idiots, and are confused by functionality" mentality of
    Ubuntu is a disease. If you think your users are idiots, only idiots will
    use it. I don't use Ubuntu, because in striving to be simple, it has long
    since reached the point where it simply doesn't do what I need it to do.

Please, just tell people to use a different distribution.

Modified by Steven Mattera (To direct toward Ubuntu Users)

Originally from Linus Torvald (Directed toward GNOME Users)
    Oh and to the people that use Ubuntu instead of Kubuntu and Xubuntu...

I personally just encourage people to switch to KDE.

This "users are idiots, and are confused by functionality" mentality of
    Gnome is a disease. If you think your users are idiots, only idiots will
    use it. I don't use Gnome, because in striving to be simple, it has long
    since reached the point where it simply doesn't do what I need it to do.

Please, just tell people to use KDE.

Linus
    I fully 100% agree with Linus in the fact that making something simple because you think your users are idiots will only lead to idiots using it and thus because it's so simple will thus not do what it needs to do for the more advance users...

Ofcource this is just my 2 cents... Discuss!
    Last edited by IchigoKurosaki; November 5th, 2006 at 04:39 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Re: My thoughts on (Ku/Xu/U)buntu... (In the words of Linus Torvalds)

Ok. Well, count me in the idiot camp. Maybe ignorance is bliss. Ah well.

Odd question though... If you don't use Ubuntu and dislike it that much, why are you here?

Insulting others is not a way to acheive your ends.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro

Oh, and for references sake, when you say "Oh and to the people that use Ubuntu instead of Kubuntu and Xubuntu..."

- Xubuntu is an XFce distribution, and XFce is based on GNOME. Are you suggesting that XFce is acceptable where GNOME is not, or just poorly researched?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by IchigoKurosaki View Post
    Here is my 2 cents on Ubuntu... In the words of Linus Torvalds...

Oh and to the people that use Ubuntu instead of Kubuntu and Xubuntu...

I fully 100% agree with Linus in the fact that making something simple because you think your users are idiots will only lead to idiots using it and thus because it's so simple will thus not do what it needs to do for the more advance users...

Ofcource this is just my 2 cents... Discuss!
    Any idea where the rest of this transcript is ?
    "IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL COME"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Just to set the record straight, Linus did not direct his comments to Ubuntu. Someone put ubuntu in where linus was talking about gnome. Ubuntu uses gnome but ubuntu wasn't being attacked by LInus.
    The fact that Linus doesn't like the gnome devs is old news. This excerpt comes from Linus' aggravation with gnome not having an "advanced" tab on their printing dialogue. Gnome said it was trying to keep it's interface simple so as not to confuse the user.What you read above was Linus' response. Linus is passionsate and opinnionated and his remarks can easily be taken out of context.

Ubuntu is the rising star of linux distributions and is the distro of choice for new users. There is alot of jealousy towards Ubuntu because of this but creating a false statement by Torvald's is a new low.

Since the OP did not care to direct people to the correct quote, I will. (Now that I read it, my 'para-phrasing wasn't 100% accurate either)
    http://mail.gnome.org/archives/usabi.../msg00021.html
    Last edited by catlett; November 5th, 2006 at 04:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by TheMono View Post
    Ok. Well, count me in the idiot camp. Maybe ignorance is bliss. Ah well.

Odd question though... If you don't use Ubuntu and dislike it that much, why are you here?
    Because I tried it out and of course could not get anything to work with Kubuntu Edgy which ran Xorg 7.1 which ATI Doesn't support with my Video Card (Mobility Radeon x600) So I went to Kubuntu Dapper Drake which to my surprise didn't even come with GCC... What kind of Distribution doesn't come with GCC... Then the fact that the Kernel comes with Broadcom Drivers built in which it insists on using even though it's not the right driver. I even Blacklisted the module and try to use Ndiswrapper and it still wouldn't come up... Then the whole APT System is also just so dirty... Emerge did something right... One main repository if you want another repository download it to your computer and keep it separate from the main repository on your computer.
    Last edited by IchigoKurosaki; November 5th, 2006 at 04:28 AM.

Beans
    Distro

The original post does say that it has been modified and was originally aimed at GNOME, albeit not in the most obvious way.

Beans

I use GNOME. Though the over-simpleness is a bit over the top at some parts (like gnome-screensaver. What the hell is that? It's got no advances options whatsoever. Awfully crippled) it works nicely enough, and I don't have to worry about acidentally moving some toolbar and not remembering the way it was before, etc, which is what annoys me the most about KDE applications.

GNOME is good. If it could just have a little more advanced options added into the oversimplified parts, then it'd be the best.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by IchigoKurosaki View Post
    Because I tried it out and of course could not get anything to work with Kubuntu Edgy which ran Xorg 7.1 which ATI Doesn't support with my Video Card (Mobility Radeon x600) So I went to Kubuntu Dapper Drake which to my surprise didn't even come with GCC... What kind of Distribution doesn't come with GCC... Then the fact that the Kernel comes with Broadcom Drivers built in which it insists on using even though it's not the right driver. I even Blacklisted the module and try to use Ndiswrapper and it still wouldn't come up... Then the whole APT System is also just so dirty... Emerge did something right... One main repository if you want another repository download it to your computer and keep it separate from the main repository on your computer.
    I'm sorry, that was kind of unintelligible, so please forgive me if my reply does not address your points. It is funny that you had problems with an x600, as I'm running the same (albeit on Ubuntu with GNOME).

As far as what kind of distribution does not come with GCC, does "that one" suffice as an answer?

I'm unsure as to what was happening with your Broadcom drivers, sorry.

And as for comparing APT to Portage, I'm not sure what your complaint is - it is dirty? What does that mean?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast