Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Get those Dapper-looks fonts back in Edgy (Fixes Firefox and OO issues)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

HOW TO: Get those Dapper-looks fonts back in Edgy (Fixes Firefox and OO issues)

Got font issues in Edgy?

Get back the Dapper look with;

Code:
    sudo mv /etc/fonts /etc/fonts.backup
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall --yes -o DPkg::Options::=--force-confmiss -o DPkg::Options::=--force-confnew fontconfig fontconfig-config
    This fixed the naff fonts in Opera/Firefox and Open Office too.
    Last edited by Lem; November 5th, 2006 at 09:21 AM.

Beans

Re: HOW TO: Get those Dapper-looks fonts back in Edgy (Fixes Firefox and OO issues)

Could you explain what all that does? How did you figure this out?

Beans
    Distro

Re: HOW TO: Get those Dapper-looks fonts back in Edgy (Fixes Firefox and OO issues)

First line backs up your font folder in case it doesn't work properly.
    The second line reinstalls fontconfig forcing new configuration files.

I'm assuming it's just those of us that upgraded from Dapper to Edgy that are having all the fonts issues. This got my desktop looking like it did before the upgrade, including apps.

Beans
    Distro

Does this work ok for everyone else?

Beans

No, it doesn't work for me! Still same ugly fonts when writing in Open Office.

Beans

Anyone got before and after screen shots?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Spudgun View Post
    Anyone got before and after screen shots?
    No, but mine went back to exactly how I had it set up in Dapper (ie. much, much better). Unless anyone tells me different, I'm assuming this only works for those that have upgraded from Dapper to Edgy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Lem View Post
    No, but mine went back to exactly how I had it set up in Dapper (ie. much, much better). Unless anyone tells me different, I'm assuming this only works for those that have upgraded from Dapper to Edgy.
    Overall, much better - but OO is still not perfect; I did a log out; log in - I'll try a restart.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by cement_head View Post
    Overall, much better - but OO is still not perfect; I did a log out; log in - I'll try a restart.
    nope...still an issue with OO

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Didn't work for me.

I did an apt-get distro-upgrade from Dapper to Edgy the day after it went final and that's when the OO fonts problem started. I've tried many things but to no avail. The latest was removing OO completely (man was that a pain!) and reinstalling (removed with Adept, reinstalled with apt-get at the CLI) and that didn't work either. I even tried the trick that Lem posted but it didn't work for me. If you want to see screen shots from my system, check out this thread (reply #3):

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=10385.0

WHEN IS THE FIX COMING???

Any idea if an install directly from OpenOffice.org via their tarball would help???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast