Page 39 of 137 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Thread: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

Peope, it's a long thread and I read until page 22 and tried all your tips but I am soo tired and I think I know the answer will be a disappointment, but I just gotta try this.

My network is:
    main machine running Ubuntu
    kids/gaming machine running XP

just bought a NAS, a western digital My Book World Edition (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=347)

No problems interfacing with the NAS from the XP machine but on the linux machine I initially just went with Ubuntu and connected to it and the wheels fell off soon after. Obviously Ubuntu defaults to samba. It's slow and unreliable or so I found.

Googled around and found this thread so obviously tried my luck setting up a cifs link to the NAS. There is only one source I found who claims that this NAS does smb and cfis.

I can set up a link between the Ubuntu machine to one of the shares on the XP box. No problems there. It's all set up nicely, right?

Then I try my luck with the NAS.
    I set up a link to one of the NAS shares. It (partially) succeeds and I can browse the folders. But I can not for the life of me set up a link to the share where I get rw access.

And I *know* I have configured the NAS correctly.

At this moment I am just trying to manual mounting, so here's my smbtree:

Code:
    HOME
            \\TERRA                         terra
                    \\TERRA\IPC$            IPC Service (terra)
                    \\TERRA\PICTURES       
                    \\TERRA\VIDEO          
                    \\TERRA\MUSIC          
                    \\TERRA\PUBLIC         
            \\STIMPY         
                    \\STIMPY\Brother                Brother HL-820
                    \\STIMPY\Iwar's Documents
                    \\STIMPY\Music          
                    \\STIMPY\temp           
                    \\STIMPY\Mum and Dad    
                    \\STIMPY\DVDROM         
                    \\STIMPY\DVDRW          
                    \\STIMPY\print$                 Printer Drivers
                    \\STIMPY\SharedDocs     
                    \\STIMPY\IPC$                   Remote IPC
            \\REN                           Samba 3.0.26a
                    \\REN\IPC$              IPC Service (Samba 3.0.26a)
    TERRA is the NAS, REN runs Ubuntu and STIMPY is the XP box

On REN I created two 'folders' in /media called 'public' and 'dvdrw'
    I have also created a credentials file in root as per dmizer's instructions, who I hastily add should be at the very least be nominated for some Nobel prize or another for outstanding work in the field of CFIS mounting.

These credentials should yield rw access on ALL shares on TERRA.

Anyhoo, when I run:

Code:
    sudo mount -t cifs -o rw,credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 //terra/public /media/public
    or....

Code:
    sudo mount -t cifs //terra/public /media/public -o credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,username=####,password=####,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777
    I get the desktop 'public' icon alright, but I can only browse its contents.

Soooo... seeing as I can connect to XP using CIFS, and I can partically connect to the NAS using cifs too, can I assume that I should be able to get the whole hog working on cifs? Or should I abandon and lump samba?

Any help greatly appreciated

Iwar

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

if you can mount the NAS and browse when using the manual mount option, you should try the permanent mount option via fstab. just copy/paste this line:
    Code:
    //terra/public /media/public        cifs    credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,rw,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
    to the end of your /etc/fstab file, and reboot. this may solve your rw problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't considered trying that assuming that manual mounting would yield the same results.

Disappointingly, it seems it does
    The share mounts, but again only as read-only.

Perhaps it wasn't too clear in my initial post, but I can mount any share on Terra using smbfs and get rw privileges.
    But obviously, with slower speeds (averaging @ 1.2MB/s) and bad reliability.

I just want my cake and eat it.

So I thought I'd try

Code:
    sudo chmod 777 /media/public
    but that yields
    chmod: changing permissions of `/media/public': Permission denied
    So I unmount /media/public, then change its permissions (chmod 777) and reboot.
    No joy. Still only read-only. But the plot thickens.
    From a terminal I type

Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/public/test
    Lo and behold, a directory is created!

so I try and get this...

Code:
    vdir /media/public
    total 0
    drwxr-xr-x 2 www-data www-data 0 2008-03-27 20:29 Alison\ (public)
    drwxr-xr-x 3 www-data www-data 0 2008-03-27 22:39 Iwar\ (public)
    drwxr-xr-x 2 www-data www-data 0 2008-03-30 13:24 test
    So why oh why and where did my permissions get overwritten?

Iwar

Beans
    Distro

found this potential solution here: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...ml#post2910172

let me know if it works:
    Code:
    //terra/public /media/public        cifs    credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,uid=33,gid=33,rw,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
    if not, you'll have to figure out what userid and group id the www-data user is given from the nas, and use those numbers in place of "33"

humm ... or just try this:
    Code:
    //terra/public /media/public        cifs    credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,uid=www-data,gid=www-data,rw,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
    Last edited by dmizer; March 31st, 2008 at 06:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by El Puño View Post
    Oh dear !

In order to "convert" Windows users to Ubuntu, why can't this be done by a simple GUI ??

Windows users (my self included) hate commandlines !

/El Puño
    I'm a Windows Network Admin & I LOVE the command line!

Nonetheless, you bring up a good point since MOST Windows users don't even know a command line exists. However, the author of the thread also brings up a good point - not all GUI will work for all *buntu versions.
    Remember, amatures built the Ark; professionals built the Titanic.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    found this potential solution here: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...ml#post2910172

let me know if it works:
    Code:
    //terra/public /media/public        cifs    credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,uid=33,gid=33,rw,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
    if not, you'll have to figure out what userid and group id the www-data user is given from the nas, and use those numbers in place of "33"

humm ... or just try this:
    Code:
    //terra/public /media/public        cifs    credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,uid=www-data,gid=www-data,rw,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
    Just a thought...
    What about NAS boxes that don't have credentials. For instance, FreeNAS can be set up to be wide open to anyone on the network with CIFS/SMB. I use this type of setup. For now, I use a shortcut on the desktop to gain access to it. I don't bother mounting it per se`.

03-31-08
    0909 EST

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rkillcrazy View Post
    Just a thought...
    What about NAS boxes that don't have credentials. For instance, FreeNAS can be set up to be wide open to anyone on the network with CIFS/SMB.
    which is fine if you didn't just unknowingly plunk down over $170 on a commercial offering instead.

Beans
    Distro

which is fine if you didn't just unknowingly plunk down over $170 on a commercial offering instead.
    Yes, but what about the credentials? DO I just omit that line or is there something that must be used instead?

03-31-08
    1353 EST

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

let me know if it works:
    Woot! Woot!
    You Sir are a star !

That article provided all the answers and then some. "Hacking Western Digital MyBook World Edition" gives an excellent step-by-step guide on how to break into my NAS - which I knew was running linux - and set it up for ssh and also install NFS

So basically I have gone further! No cifs, but nfs
    That's got to be worth it. Right now I am copying all my music from the Ubuntu box to the NAS at a cool 4/5 MB/sec.

However, I have one last favour to ask. It's me being a complete and utter noob one, m'fraid (but at least I am trying)

Martin's last paragraph tells me nicely how to mount the NAS' internal shares manually like so:
    Code:
    mount mybook_ip:/shares/internal /mnt -o rw
    But obviously, I will want to do that automatically at boot up. What file on my ubuntu box do I edit and what do I put?

Also, although currently not required, is it at all possible to have different mountings for different users with different credentials (so that I can set up guest accounts with ro access or even purely personal folders that only the current user has access to.

This last one is only for extra points however and should probably be addressed elsewhere as I have just stepped off the map for this cifs thread. Even without that knowledge I am just chuffed to bits to get a stable and fast connection to my NAS.

Thanks to dmizer and also huge thanks to Martin. You are both lifesavers!

Iwar

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by IwarV View Post
    Martin's last paragraph tells me nicely how to mount the NAS' internal shares manually like so:
    Code:
    mount mybook_ip:/shares/internal /mnt -o rw
    But obviously, I will want to do that automatically at boot up. What file on my ubuntu box do I edit and what do I put?
    see the last link in my sig for the howto on mounting nfs shares

as to mounting different shares for different users ... i've yet to get around to that.
    Last edited by dmizer; April 1st, 2008 at 12:26 AM.

Page 39 of 137 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast