Page 81 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131 ... LastLast

Thread: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

Really, the problem is not likely to be related to the fact that your server is still using Gutsy. (Edit to elaborate): I still have a fully functional Dapper SAMBA server which hosts shares to Windows, several different releases of Ubuntu, and a Mac.

On the Gutsy server, please run the following command and post the output:
    Code:
    cat /etc/samba/smb.conf | grep workgroup
    Last edited by dmizer; December 22nd, 2008 at 08:47 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Really, the problem is not likely to be related to the fact that your server is still using Gutsy. (Edit to elaborate): I still have a fully functional Dapper SAMBA server which hosts shares to Windows, several different releases of Ubuntu, and a Mac.
    That's good to know, I didn't really understand the difference between CIFS and SMBFS. CIFS kind of came out of nowhere for me.

On the Gutsy server, please run the following command and post the output:
    Code:
    cat /etc/samba/smb.conf | grep workgroup
    Code:
    $ cat /etc/samba/smb.conf | grep workgroup

# Change this to the workgroup/NT-domain name your Samba server will part of
       workgroup = WORKGROUP
    Unless it's that CIFS requires new/additional configurations, I'm confident that the server is set up fine. I'd actually used it right before upgrading to make some room and back up some files.

Beans
    Distro

Try adding the domain= option like so:
    Code:
    //SERVER/Documents             /media/Server/Documents                 cifs    credentials=/root/.smb_pwd,domain=WORKGROUP,rw,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0755,dir_mode=0755  0 0
    CIFS and SMBFS perform essentially the same function. SMBFS is no longer maintained and has depreciated. CIFS is being maintained and is replacing SMBFS. SMBFS has not been a part of Ubuntu since Gutsy.

SMBFS is also a meta package, which means that when you "sudo aptitude install smbfs", you're installing several SAMBA related packages including CIFS and winbind. CIFS has been a part of the SMBFS metapackage since Breezy. Interestingly, the actual SMBFS package has NOT been a part of the SMBFS meta package since Gutsy.
    Last edited by dmizer; December 23rd, 2008 at 02:26 AM.

Beans

Try adding the domain= option like so:
    Code:
    //SERVER/Documents             /media/Server/Documents                 cifs    credentials=/root/.smb_pwd,domain=WORKGROUP,rw,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0755,dir_mode=0755  0 0
    I had the domain in my credentials file, moved it out to fstab and still no luck.

CIFS and SMBFS perform essentially the same function. SMBFS is no longer maintained and has depreciated. CIFS is being maintained and is replacing SMBFS. SMBFS has not been a part of Ubuntu since Gutsy.

SMBFS is also a meta package, which means that when you "sudo aptitude install smbfs", you're installing several SAMBA related packages including CIFS and winbind. CIFS has been a part of the SMBFS metapackage since Breezy. Interestingly, the actual SMBFS package has NOT been a part of the SMBFS meta package since Gutsy.
    So does CIFS provide a server as well as a client and if so is the CIFS server any different then a SMBFS server? Are they different OSS implementations of the same protocol or is it that Microsoft's (?) updated the protocol?
    Last edited by Gammell; December 23rd, 2008 at 02:37 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Gammell View Post
    I had the domain in my credentials file, moved it out to fstab and still no luck.
    Any strange characters or spaces in your password or username?

So does CIFS provide a server as well as a client and if so is the CIFS server any different then a SMBFS server? Are they different OSS implementations of the same protocol or is it that Microsoft's (?) updated the protocol?
    CIFS and SMBFS are both client only protocols. SAMBA is the server side. CIFS is Microsofts current protocol. More information on the OSS implementation here: http://www.samba.org
    Last edited by dmizer; December 23rd, 2008 at 02:42 AM.

Beans

Any strange characters or spaces in your password or username?
    Yes, "strange characters". But again, same password as before...
    edit:They're simply entered in plain text and without any quotes. As I said, this is what worked before, but does CIFS need them to be escaped or anything? Ex:
    Code:
    username = user
    password = p@$$word
    CIFS and SMBFS are both client only protocols. SAMBA is the server side. CIFS is Microsoft's current protocol. More information on the OSS implementation here: http://www.samba.org
    I see, thanks.
    Last edited by Gammell; December 23rd, 2008 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Clarification/Extra info

Beans
    Distro

Great Tutorial, i did understand a lot of glitches I had about how samba works.

I do have one annoying problem, all my shares are mounted and working via fstab using -t cifs. Shared resources (Folders) are on Windows 2003 Server, all is good untill I hit a folder (on my Ubuntu mount point) with more than say 500+ files (no matter format of files, jpeg, mp3, etc)

Then I can go make coffie untill content of folder is being parsed to nautilus. It takes like 30 seconds for 2000 files to bi shown. On Folders with smaller amount of files seems to function with acceptable speed.

Time is progresive. The more files, more time is needed just to be shown.

What's my cure ?
    =----- God is a Machine -----=
    ....... powered by Linux .......

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by moTaro View Post
    Great Tutorial, i did understand a lot of glitches I had about how samba works.

I do have one annoying problem, all my shares are mounted and working via fstab using -t cifs. Shared resources (Folders) are on Windows 2003 Server, all is good untill I hit a folder (on my Ubuntu mount point) with more than say 500+ files (no matter format of files, jpeg, mp3, etc)

Then I can go make coffie untill content of folder is being parsed to nautilus. It takes like 30 seconds for 2000 files to bi shown. On Folders with smaller amount of files seems to function with acceptable speed.

Time is progresive. The more files, more time is needed just to be shown.

What's my cure ?
    The more often you visit those directories, the less time it will take to load them. For directories with huge numbers of files, the more you visit them the less time it will take to load (providing that there is not frequent and significant changes to the directory content).

Your LAN performance will also effect this. For example, if you are mounting the folders over wireless, you're going to notice a slowdown as the content loads. If you are connected via cat5, I suggest you look into your network throughput.

The reason for this, is that with fstab, you are physically mounting the content on your local drive. The advantage to this is that you get improved performance for file transfers, but one disadvantage is that large directories with lots of files will take time to cache the first several times through.

Beans
    Distro

edit:They're simply entered in plain text and without any quotes. As I said, this is what worked before, but does CIFS need them to be escaped or anything? Ex:
    Code:
    username = user
    password = p@$$word
    Ah ha, I missed your edit. CIFS does not like spaces before and after the equal sign. Try removing them and see if that fixes your problem.

Beans

Ah ha, I missed your edit. CIFS does not like spaces before and after the equal sign. Try removing them and see if that fixes your problem.
    Thanks. I am separated from the offending hardware for a week or so, but I will try it when I get back and report on the results. Let's hope this is it!
    edit: Sorry about the edit. (wait... )

Page 81 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131 ... LastLast