Page 55 of 137 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast

Thread: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

Beans

Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

I'm having similar issues to this thread since upgrading to Hardy. On shutdown I has getting smb dismount hangs, but these were solved with:
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /etc/init.d/umountnfs.sh /etc/rc0.d/K15umountnfs.sh
    sudo ln -s /etc/init.d/umountnfs.sh /etc/rc6.d/K15umountnfs.sh
    Although there were messages on boot also, once fully booted the shared drives were actually mounted OK. However, I wanted to get rid of the errors anyway... First, I was getting:
    Code:
    mount error: could not find target server. TCP name gateway/shared not found. No ip address specified and hostname not found.
    Having a quick search I found that cifs apparently uses IP addresses. Fine, so I changed them in the /etc/fstab. But then the errors changed to
    Code:
    error connecting to ipv4 socket cifs_mount failed
    Again, once fully booted the shared are mounted OK, so something is bombing out but then trying again successfully later? How can I resolve the original mount failures?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

how are you connecting to the internet?

Beans

Via the network server as a gateway. The gateway hands out DHCP and samba shares. It is Clarkconnect 4.2 (based on RedHat Enterprise).

Interestingly, those error messages above only seem to occur on the console itself - I cant find them in any of the actual logs...

Beans
    Distro

actually, i should have asked, "are you connecting to the internet wirelessly?"

Beans

No, gigabit ethernet cable to server, then ADSL to internet.

Beans
    Distro

but after you log in, it works fine?

you'll need to enable name resolution by installing and configuring wins according to the "prework" section of the howto. then cifs can resolve host name unless there is something blocking wins. contrary to what you've read, cifs does just fine with resolving host names.

Beans

Yes, by the time I am logged in, the shares are up and running. As indeed they were even with the WINS names rather than IP addresses used. Evidently, the first time the mount is called during boot, it cant do either WINS or IP connection for some reason, but by the time I am logged in it can do both by itself. I wonder what is trying the first and second mounts? Presumably the /etc/fstab mount-all is one of them!
    Last edited by fig_wright; June 20th, 2008 at 01:40 PM. Reason: clarify

Beans
    Distro

i suspect that it tries the mount several times during the boot process, but is only successful after the wins server has started. you might try changing the runlevel of the wins server, but i'm no expert at runlevels, so that's probably as much advice as you'll get from me on the subject.

Beans

Hope I can piggy-back on this one please! I am tearing my hair out!!

Thanks for the help here. I have read the entries but am still having real problems.

1. I run Hardy Heron and have nfs-common installed - perhaps not relevant

2. I want to mount //192.168.0.9/Public to /mnt/qnap

3. As root I created /mnt/qnap

4. Permissions of qnap are:

drwxr-xr-x 2 edward root 4096 2008-06-18 19:20 qnap

5. I have tried this command:
    sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.0.9/Public /mnt/qnap -o guest,rw,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=07 77

and this command:

mount -t nfs 192.168.0.9:/Public /mnt/qnap

The qnap mounts and is accessible via the terminal. Most of the files at the first level are permissions nobody/nogroup

6. If I navigate to /mnt/qnap using Nautilus I can see the files BUT even if I do mothing, after a few seconds, Nautilus greys out, locks up and I have to kill it off. Fairly useless!

7. The same happens if I mount at /home/edward/qnap

8 I had a bit more success with:
    sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.0.9/Public /mnt/qnap -o username=edward,password=edward,iocharset=utf8,fil e_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777

At least nautilus was useable, BUT if I created a folder under one of the root folders, the new folder has an Owner of 501 (!) with full access, and Group Users with Access only, and Others folder access - Access files

This is not much use to create files/folders!!

Has anyone any ideas as it seems daft that I cannot mount one Linux box to another! Please be simple as I am still learning!

Thanks in advance

Ed

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

dmizer:

I tried
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install smbfs
    but was told it was already installed.

This command worked, however I want to mount the shares using fstab.
    Code:
    sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.xx.xx/the_shared_dir /media/mount_point/ -o username=your_username,uid=your_username,gid=users
    Any other ideas?

Page 55 of 137 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast