Page 5 of 137 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    lol ... so the trick is going to be to make your internet connection work as well as make your samba connection work huh?

okay. well, i'm talking about dns servers, not ip addresses. in networking there should be a tab that says "dns" in the top window frame, it should list dns servers. these servers should only be from your internet service provider (or in your case ... open dns server addresses), not a part of your network.
    The opendns guys suggest putting their ip addresses into the router (so you don't have to change settings in your different machines?? That's a guess on my part) which I had done.

Their addresses are now in the DNS tab, as you suggested. But it seems I have to change the configuration of the eth0 card from "Static" (with the router address listed) to "Automatic (DHCP)" Is this kosher?
    Last edited by wilberfan; November 9th, 2006 at 06:08 AM.
    "He who lives by the penguin, dies by the penguin."
    (at least 'till he figures out what he's doing!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

well, as dhcp, it will be more difficult to enable ip forwarding for internet serving. for example ... if you want to host a website, or an ftp server. some routers are capable of recognizing netbios names but not all. i'll have to do some investigating to figure out why it's not working with static ip, becuase frankly ... i really don't know.

you want to browse your whole dell box? that's easy. install ssh server on the dell:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install openssh-server
    now you can ssh to your dell box and have view (view only) capability to your entire machine. ssh is a VERY powerful tool. you can get access to any application on your remote machine:
    Code:
    ssh -X dellusername@dellip
    the x is uppercase. now you can open any gui on the dell from the command line. want to freak someone out? ssh into the dell from your amd box, and open your music program and start some music on your dell from your amd

you want to browse your files?
    Code:
    ssh -X dell@dellip
    nautilus
    Last edited by dmizer; November 9th, 2006 at 06:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro

well, as dhcp, it will be more difficult to enable ip forwarding for internet serving. for example ... if you want to host a website, or an ftp server. some routers are capable of recognizing netbios names but not all. i'll have to do some investigating to figure out why it's not working with static ip, becuase frankly ... i really don't know.
    None of those scenarios sound very likely for me in the immediate future--but I would be interested in knowing why it wouldn't work until we changed it!

you want to browse your whole dell box? that's easy. install ssh server on the dell:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install openssh-server
    Oy. MORE installing?!

now you can ssh to your dell box and have view (view only) capability to your entire machine. ssh is a VERY powerful tool. you can get access to any application on your remote machine:
    Code:
    the x is uppercase. now you can open any gui on the dell from the command line. want to freak someone out? ssh into the dell from your amd box, and open your music program and start some music on your dell from your amd

you want to browse your files?
    Code:
    ssh -X dell@dellip
    nautilus
    Well, that WOULD be cool, but I can't help but think fondly back (two weeks ago?) to Dapper--where this could all be done through Nautilus!! I know, I know...that's not the 'best' way to do it--but it sure was easier!!

Buckets of thanks for your sustained assistence... I'll bet I'll have even more questions in the (near) future!

Beans
    Distro

you can get access to any application on your remote machine:
    Code:
    Well, crap. More connectivity problems:

ssh: connect to host DELL-Ubuntu port 22: Connection refused

Beans
    Distro

lol ... you just don't want to make this easy do you? sheesh.

by the way ... i have YET to install edgy. so all these solutions i'm offering you are solutions to problems i've found as a result of working with dapper and nautilus' incapacity.

try rebooting your dell before you connect to it. that should sort your ssh issue.

Beans
    Distro

You haven't installed Edgy yet?! Duuuuuuuude. (Maybe you're having second thoughts!)

Does ssh have to be installed on BOTH machines? 'Cuz rebooting the Dell made no difference--I still got the 'Connection Refused' error message.

Beans
    Distro

lol ... no, i just like to wait around until all the hardware issues are sorted out so i can have an easier transition. besides, dapper works perfectly well for me, and it's going to be supported for a while so i suspect that many of my machines will stay at dapper for the foreseeable future.

ssh server does not have to be installed on both computers ... that said, it won't hurt to install it on the amd either. try connecting with netbios name instead:
    Code:
    ssh -X dellusername@dell-ubuntu
    the dellusername here must be the user name that you type into gdm when you log into the dell box if you were sitting at it.

Beans
    Distro

argh ... it seems the package is simply ssh, not openssh-server as in dapper. apologies.
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install ssh

Beans
    Distro

lol ... no, i just like to wait around until all the hardware issues are sorted out so i can have an easier transition. besides, dapper works perfectly well for me, and it's going to be supported for a while so i suspect that many of my machines will stay at dapper for the foreseeable future.

ssh server does not have to be installed on both computers ... that said, it won't hurt to install it on the amd either. try connecting with netbios name instead:
    Code:
    ssh -X dellusername@dell-ubuntu
    the dellusername here must be the user name that you type into gdm when you log into the dell box if you were sitting at it.
    I rebooted the AMD and things changed a bit:

meonAMD@AMD-64:~$ ssh -X meondell@DELL-Ubuntu
    The authenticity of host 'dell-ubuntu (192.168.0.101)' can't be established.
    RSA key fingerprint is e1:20:d8:d8:17:48:86:2e:8d:ce:13:e2:37:c3:f7:df.
    Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? y
    Please type 'yes' or 'no': yes
    Warning: Permanently added 'dell-ubuntu,192.168.0.101' (RSA) to the list of known hosts.
    meondell@dell-ubuntu's password:
    Linux DELL-Ubuntu 2.6.17-10-generic #2 SMP Fri Oct 13 18:45:35 UTC 2006 i686

The programs included with the Ubuntu system are free software;
    the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
    individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Ubuntu comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by
    applicable law.
    You have new mail.
    Last login: Wed Nov 8 21:52:54 2006
    meondell@DELL-Ubuntu:~$
    Wait. Is that all I get?? Do I have to do all my browsing from the command line??!? Ooooooh....no fair!! (Crap. Is it too late to go back to Dapper?!)

And how does it know I have new mail?! (That's a little creepy!)

I admire your discipline in being able to stay with Dapper; I'm waay too big a Release Queen... I always wanna try the latest everything...

Beans
    Distro

not just the command line. once you've ssh'd to the dell, type "nautilus", and shezam ... you can browse all your files on your dell with gui.

and the new mail bit ... don't worry about that so much. the ssh server sent you a system local email (read: created a file on your dell computer). i forget where those things show up, but if you really want you can just delete it (once you find it of course).

ps. once you start using ssh, you begin to see just how powerful the command line can REALLY be.
    Last edited by dmizer; November 9th, 2006 at 07:16 AM.

Page 5 of 137 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast