Page 130 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,300 of 1362

Thread: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

Beans

Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

Hi there,

This tutorial looks really thorough, but before I jump into it I wanted to check that it's what I need!

I have an Ubuntu box setup mostly for media - MythTV and playing music. At the moment I have my music collection on the local harddrive of the Ubuntu box.

I have just bought a NAS - it's a D-Link DNS-320 and I presume it's running Linux under the hood. I've got it connected to my Windows XP machine OK and it's mapped to a drive letter on the Windows machine.

On the Ubuntu machine, if I go to Places > Network the NAS shows up fine under the name I've given it, The-Library (the only slightly odd behaviour is that it appears as both The-Library-1 and THE-LIBRARY). I didn't have to do anything to get to this state - it seemed to automatically be there first time I booted up the machine after putting the NAS on the network.

So, what I want to do is to set up my Ubuntu machine so that the NAS can be consistently accessed in the same place. This would mean, for example, that I could tell Rhythmbox that the default location to rip CDs to (and to look for its library) is, say, "volume_1 on THE-LIBRARY/Media/Music/".

As a result I'm not sure whether I need to do anything at all! If this will work OK and the NAS will consistently show up at the same location then I can happily shift my music library over to the NAS and forget about it. But being new to this I wanted to check whether there was a reason why I might want to do a bit more than that.

Thanks in advance,
    J

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by javine View Post
    Hi there,

This tutorial looks really thorough, but before I jump into it I wanted to check that it's what I need!

I have an Ubuntu box setup mostly for media - MythTV and playing music. At the moment I have my music collection on the local harddrive of the Ubuntu box.

I have just bought a NAS - it's a D-Link DNS-320 and I presume it's running Linux under the hood. I've got it connected to my Windows XP machine OK and it's mapped to a drive letter on the Windows machine.

On the Ubuntu machine, if I go to Places > Network the NAS shows up fine under the name I've given it, The-Library (the only slightly odd behaviour is that it appears as both The-Library-1 and THE-LIBRARY). I didn't have to do anything to get to this state - it seemed to automatically be there first time I booted up the machine after putting the NAS on the network.

So, what I want to do is to set up my Ubuntu machine so that the NAS can be consistently accessed in the same place. This would mean, for example, that I could tell Rhythmbox that the default location to rip CDs to (and to look for its library) is, say, "volume_1 on THE-LIBRARY/Media/Music/".

As a result I'm not sure whether I need to do anything at all! If this will work OK and the NAS will consistently show up at the same location then I can happily shift my music library over to the NAS and forget about it. But being new to this I wanted to check whether there was a reason why I might want to do a bit more than that.

Thanks in advance,
    J
    If you will always need it mounted in a server type setting, you'll probably be better off mounting it as per this tutorial. However, you may want to investigate your NAS. If it's running Linux, you may be able to mount with NFS instead of Samba, and that will probably work better for you in the long run as NFS is a native Linux network file system.

If your NAS device supports NFS, take a look at the NFS howto linked in my sig.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi.

I got tired of using my connect to server bookmark each time I rebooted my hi-fi machine and decided I would use your permanent solution instead.

I used the code for an all-access guest share (it's music on my local network). When I test with mount -a I get this:

Code:
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //[mymusicserver]/[themusicshare],
           missing codepage or helper program, or other error
           (for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might
           need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)
           In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
           dmesg | tail  or so
    I double checked the link in your signature for creating server shares and don't see anything about cifs there. I'm guessing the problem is that my server is serving as gvfs but that's just a guess.

What am I missing here?
    "We're all in this together, kid." --H. Tuttle (a.k.a. H. Buttle)
    "Maybe it's a layer 8 problem." --thatguruguy
    A High-Tech Blech!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jamesisin View Post
    What am I missing here?
    Run the following command and try again:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install smbfs
    The above is part off the necessary prework for this howto, but it often gets overlooked.

If that doesn't fix your problem, please post the contents of your /etc/fstab file.

Beans

Is there no one how can helps me?

Hello everyone!

First I want to thank dmizer for the great guide!

But I'm stuck on some problems by mounting my networkdrive.
    I edited the fstab in the following manner:

Code:
         //192.168.0.195/MyShare /media/myshare cifs user=<user>,passwd=<password>,auto,uid=1000,gid=1000,nounix 0 0
    //192.168.0.195/OpenShare /media/openshare cifs auto,uid=1000,gid=1000,nounix 0 0
    On my networkdrive they are 2 folders one, the OpenShare, which (I thought) is not protected and the other, MyShare, which is protected by password. But if I want to mount the drive, first I've to deliver a password for the OpenShare and second an error occurs for the MyShare:

Code:
    mount error(127): Key has expired
    Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
    The funny thing now is that for the OpenShare with the same password as for the MyShare mounts without problems and if I connect by ftp with MyShare all works perfectly, no key expired issue comes up?

If I now add password and user field to OpenShare in fstab, the same error appears as for the MyShare before.

Can somebody help me to get through it? I googled and searched this forum a lot but didn't found a solution. And how can I change a key for my networkdrive? Is there some credential file on it?

Thanks a lot
    Cheers Reza

Beans
    Distro

No, no; that did it.

I read through the pre-work and assumed I didn't need to install smbfs as I was already able to attach through the connect to server dialog. Oops.

I am curious. What happens if, while mounted, the network drive becomes unavailable? I ask because I have had troubles with the manually mounted drive sort of disappearing.
    A High-Tech Blech!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by housseinireza View Post
    Is there no one how can helps me?
    I've not run into your issue before, so I've been doing research on it.

You said you are using a NAS device. What is the brand and model number of the NAS device you're using?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jamesisin View Post
    I am curious. What happens if, while mounted, the network drive becomes unavailable? I ask because I have had troubles with the manually mounted drive sort of disappearing.
    Nothing bad will happen unless the server goes away while you're saving your file. In which case, the file save will fail and you will be asked to try again. This could also cause some data corruption on the server side, but it would only effect the document you were trying to save.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    I've not run into your issue before, so I've been doing research on it.

You said you are using a NAS device. What is the brand and model number of the NAS device you're using?
    Thanks! Sorry but I didn't want to stress.

I'm using the NetworkSpace 2 from LaCie: Here is a description. There exists a windows program to change password and settings, but I don't have an Windows OS anymore. In the link above is an instruction to hack the NAS, but I'm a little afraid that I gone loose my data's if I do it.

Beans
    Distro

Oh my concern is so much more mild than saving and data corruption. Just a bit of a hassle.

The share is a music share. I point Rhythmbox back to that share for its library. When the mount-tunnel is broken Rb starts spewing missing files. If I'm not in attendance that can get quite large (600 GB of flac so maybe 35K files). Annoying when it happens (but not as annoying as losing data).

The real pain is that this ends up causing a whole bunch of unnecessary drive time (as Rb scans the now-reconnected share and seeks out all those missing files).

I guess it would just be nice if the share re-established itself after these disappearances. I'm going to finish changing this setup around and see what happens. Thanks for lending me your brain.
    A High-Tech Blech!

Page 130 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132 ... LastLast