Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1362

Thread: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

Try this and see if it gives us any more information:
    Code:
    sudo mount -v -t cifs //192.168.0.4/My\040Pictures /mnt/winxp_pictures -o credentials=/etc/samba/.smbcredentials,rw,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777
    I'm headed to Korea for a 3 day long business trip. I'll try to check in on my way to the ferry port tomorrow morning, but don't count on anything until Friday.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    That would be "CIFS VFS: Server not responding". There's a fix for that listed in the tutorial under the "Troubleshooting" section.
    Yes right again, that fixed it, thanks for help with all this

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Try this and see if it gives us any more information:
    Code:
    sudo mount -v -t cifs //192.168.0.4/My\040Pictures /mnt/winxp_pictures -o credentials=/etc/samba/.smbcredentials,rw,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777
    I'm headed to Korea for a 3 day long business trip. I'll try to check in on my way to the ferry port tomorrow morning, but don't count on anything until Friday.
    thanks for the help thus far. it returned this:

mount.cifs kernel mount options unc=//192.168.0.4\My040Pictures,user=daniel,pass=notfora nyoneseyes,ver=1,rw,credentials=/etc/samba/.smbcredentials,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=07 77,dir_mode=0777
    retrying with upper case share name

mount.cifs kernel mount options unc=//192.168.0.4\MY040PICTURES,user=daniel,pass=mazDA@0 1!,ver=1,rw,credentials=/etc/samba/.smbcredentials,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=07 77,dir_mode=0777
    mount error(6): No such device or address
    Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

yet, smbtree and entering my password returns this (WINXP is 192.168.0.4):
    LINUX
    \\WINXP dans windows computer
    \\WINXP\LexmarkX Lexmark X5400 Series
    \\WINXP\Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer
    \\WINXP\C$ Default share
    \\WINXP\ADMIN$ Remote Admin
    \\WINXP\My Pictures WINXP Pictures
    \\WINXP\WINXP My Videos
    \\WINXP\I$ Default share
    \\WINXP\print$ Printer Drivers
    \\WINXP\SharedDocs WINXP Shared docs
    \\WINXP\D$ Default share
    \\WINXP\IPC$ Remote IPC
    \\WINXP\daniel
    \\WINXP\xbox_games

the usernames and password are the same on the windows box as well as the ubuntu machine trying to mount it. ok, i tried
    Code:
    sudo mount -v -t cifs //192.168.0.4/My\ Pictures /mnt/winxp_pictures -o credentials=/etc/samba/.smbcredentials,rw,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777
    and that actually worked but it still isn't writable. see ls -l output:
    dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 0 2009-08-10 14:32 winxp_pictures

so without the uid and gid, it's getting mounted with root user and root group. its werid that it just won't mount as writable. I still want to solve this issue but for now, i just moved all my pictures over to the server which is ext3 and i am sharing them out via nfs to linux boxes and samba to windows

Beans
    Distro

dannyboy79, at this point I'm almost 100% positive that the problem is on the share permissions side of Windows. I'm not sure what is wrong or how to change it, but we've tried just about everything I can think of on the Ubuntu side and we still end up without write permission.

Beans
    Distro

dannyboy79, at this point I'm almost 100% positive that the problem is on the share permissions side of Windows. I'm not sure what is wrong or how to change it, but we've tried just about everything I can think of on the Ubuntu side and we still end up without write permission.
    i am guessing the same thing but I don't know what else to do. security and sharing is allowing my user FULL CONTROL of the share. what's more weird is the default shared folder in winxp pro isn't even writable over smb. i just moved my pictures over to the file server as that's the machine that is on all the time, but i still can't write to the shared docs folder over smb. very weird. i am not familiar with windows permissions so i really don't know what else to do. i have double and triple checked that it is writable in sharing and security. i don't know what else to try. maybe i'll try to add another group to the machine, and add my username to that group and then give that group write permissions. thanks for trying to help me though.

Beans
    Distro

What version of XP (and what service pack) are you using?

Beans
    Distro

What version of XP (and what service pack) are you using?
    win xp pro version 2003 service pack 3

Beans
    Distro

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, I came to this post, found it wasn't really to do with my problem, but couldn't help but keep reading because it was just so comprehensive and well written, and spectacular learning materials. Kudos dmizer! Particularly considering you actually ended up fixing my seemingly unrelated problem!

Ever since I upgraded to Jaunty, I have been unable to open up TrueCrypt volumes from my Samba server (server is running Hardy). Every time I tried, either the volume was unexplainably read-only, or I would get the error message:
    Code:
    Input/output error:
    /dev/mapper/truecrypt7

The drive is damaged (there is a physical defect on it) or a cable is damaged, or the memory is malfunctioning.
    (etc)
    I noticed the fix regarding troubles opening Open Office files. I hadn't yet had any troubles with Open Office yet, but thought "aw heck, haven't had success with anything else, I should try this". So I added the nobrl option, and unbelievably it fixed my problem!

Just thought I would let you and your readers know! Thanks again for a great guide!

Beans

Hate to bring this up again, but I'm suddenly having the same problem as dannyboy79.

I'm trying to mount a few Windows XP shares, but when I perform the mount, the permissions on the mount point itself become "dr-xr-xr-x" no matter what I try.

I'm using file_mode=744,dir_mode=744, and everything *under* the mount point has the correct modes. Both the mount point and everything under it do have the correct ownership. Specifically, I'm performing the following:
    Code:
    sudo mount -t cifs //NAVI/Code /mnt/smb/navi/code -o rw,iocharset=utf8,credentials=etc/.smbcredentials,file_mode=0744,dir_mode=744,uid=1000,gid=1000
    Basically everything else is as dannyboy79 described. I've done this a bunch of times before, with the same shares, which have not changed recently to my knowledge. But this is on a new server running Jaunty--first time I've used it. I don't know if it's something about Jauny or what, but there's definitely something fishy going on here, and I don't think it's on the windows side. I can interact with the share normally with smbclient.

Could this have something to do with AppArmor? I'm not very familiar with it...

Page 107 of 137 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117 ... LastLast