I must have too much time on my hands. I must want to punish myself. I must think I don't have enough frustration. I just went through a series of upgrades with Update Manager from 10.04. Each step looked pretty cool so I went for the next major upgrade offered. Until 11.11, and then the system hung during reboot. Then I thought "Dang, I wish I had saved my fstab and other modifications to a different file system".

I had to do a fresh install of 11.04 from a CD. Besides getting used to the strangeness of the desktop interface, I'm trying to restore the automatic network mounts I used to have to three Windows XP shares. I did the prework per the first post in this thread. Then I added mount points off my home directory rather than off media. Created a .smbcredentials file in /root. Then I added three lines to my fstab in the form of
Code:
//paule6500/avdata /home/paul/avdata cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials ioch
arset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_ mode=0777 0 0
But when I ran sudo mount -a I got a message that lines 14,15,and 16 in fstab are bad.

I tried mounting the shares from terminal using the form
Code:
//netbiosname/sharename    /media/sharename        cifs    credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
These mounts worked, showed up in Nautilus as folders with disk drives icon, and have an eject arrow in the left hand pane. Haven't seen that before. Pretty good, except these mounts are read-only.

The other strange thing is that these mounts seem to persist after a reboot. Is this the way 11.04 is supposed to work?