View Poll Results: Has this thread been helpful?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

92 76.03%
  • No

11 9.09%
  • Somewhat

18 14.88%
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: Howto: Backup with Partimage

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Howto: Backup with Partimage

Hi Ted,

Nice to see you around. It's been a while.

No, Partimage won't be a good choice in this case. You could look into 'rsync' if you want to back up media and stuff like that. Used it before? I sort of prefer that to Partimage for non-system backups.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by wieman01 View Post
    Hi Ted,

Nice to see you around. It's been a while.

No, Partimage won't be a good choice in this case. You could look into 'rsync' if you want to back up media and stuff like that. Used it before? I sort of prefer that to Partimage for non-system backups.
    Hi wieman, it has been a while...guess I'm getting better these days! A sad fact about about needing less help is that you lose touch I guess.

I am glad to see you're still around though, serving the community and building your beans! LOL

No, I think you misunderstand me, I don't want to backup my media...I want to omit those folders and just backup my raw OS and applications, custom settings etc. My fault for not making it clearer.

I'd like partimage to be able to exclude folders like MUSIC, PICTURES, VIDEO and DOCUMENTS in the HOME directory.

So I guess it won't huh?

I will look into rsync though, but don't think it will do what I need.
    Last edited by tedrogers; June 2nd, 2009 at 09:54 PM.
    "My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention." - Hedley Lamarr
    Lenovo T500 2243-4EG

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tedrogers View Post
    Hi wieman, it has been a while...guess I'm getting better these days! A sad fact about about needing less help is that you lose touch I guess.

I am glad to see you're still around though, serving the community and building your beans! LOL

No, I think you misunderstand me, I don't want to backup my media...I want to omit those folders and just backup my raw OS and applications, custom settings etc. My fault for not making it clearer.

I'd like partimage to be able to exclude folders like MUSIC, PICTURES, VIDEO and DOCUMENTS in the HOME directory.

So I guess it won't huh?

I will look into rsync though, but don't think it will do what I need.
    I am sorry, Ted. It's late so I misread your post.

Partimage cannot do that afaik. However, you could create a separate partition for your media. That's what I do, so when I run Partimage it only backs up my system/home partitions. My actual data does not reside in /home but on a separate data partition.

Would that make sense?

Yeah, beans been going up, have to say I still enjoy my time in here. Would be nice to see you around a bit more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by wieman01 View Post
    I am sorry, Ted. It's late so I misread your post.

Partimage cannot do that afaik. However, you could create a separate partition for your media. That's what I do, so when I run Partimage it only backs up my system/home partitions. My actual data does not reside in /home but on a separate data partition.

Would that make sense?

Yeah, beans been going up, have to say I still enjoy my time in here. Would be nice to see you around a bit more.
    Maybe I'll do that then Wieman...I'll need to spend some time with my friend gparted...but it should be possible.

Cheers bud!
    "My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention." - Hedley Lamarr
    Lenovo T500 2243-4EG

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Just want to say thank you a billion times for this thread and for it letting me know this application exists! Been wanting a "Ghost" program for a long long looooong time, so major kudos to the Open Source community for thinking of this. If I can get EverQuest to really run with nothing but GNU apps, I will never have to go back to Windows again.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jamiyoel View Post
    I tried this method but my backup image got corrupted. How can I secure image?
    Mmm... You mean recover your image? I am afraid I don't know a solution here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

First of all, you don't need a rescue-CD. Just use your Ubuntu install-CD/DVD (Live).
    I have a second partition (/misc), on there I put partimage and made a new folder for the images themselves.
    I booted with the Ubuntu install disc and mounted the second partition. Note: do not mount the partition (main SDA1) that you're going to backup/restore.
    Then i run /misc/pi/partimage from the terminal as sudo.
    The GUI is simple and effective.
    I did use the default compression without any problems during this test. No errors and things work well as far as I've tried to now.

It looks great and it will save you a lot of time. What I do miss, is a "verify volume" option like you have on Partition Magic and Norton Ghost for Windows. Though, of all the zillion times I've created and restored partitions on Windows, the verify never failed. But it would've given me more piece of mind--unless I'm missing something here.

I downloaded "partimage 0.6.7" from the package manager.

Last edited by viking_maniac; September 2nd, 2009 at 03:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Re: Howto: Backup with Partimage

Is it possible to burn DVD's with partimage?
    I've made a backup of my main partition and I've saved it to an external hard drive, but if my computer crashes, isn't there a big chance this hard drive crashes also? I'm searching for a safe way to save the backup file, any other options are welcome too.

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728