Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Running Bible Works on Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Running Bible Works on Ubuntu

For E-sword with WINE don't forget to add libraries riched20 as native, and you should have no problems. Also extract libraries don't try to install, they will not install under WINE. Also ISA will install and run in WINE.
    For E-sword howto you can check the app datebase at wine hq.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If anyone has figured this out, I would sure like to know. I see on other discussion groups older postings of people getting BibleWorks 4.0 to run but I can get it installed. I just get a "No valid registration file found; Please run setup." error message. I've looked at the answer here (it's for 5.0 and 6.0 but I figured it would be worth a try) but it still doesn't work.

Any suggestions?
    Lee

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Sir Winston Churchill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You may want to try some of the same recommendations that were made to Billy.

Remember that wine is not a replacement to Windows. Wine has made some terrific strides in that direction but it still has a long way to go.

If you have Windows apps that you must run and can't get to install or run in wine ,unless you are well versed with wine, expect some major stumbling and fumbling and the great possibility that it just won't work in wine.

I have yet to get Logo's, GramCord and several other Windows based programs, to run in wine but since I own them I just run them in an emulator.
    Of course if one could have a pool of brain power knowledgeable in wine, Linux and Windows much like Google has done with Google Earth and Google Picaso it can be done. And yet they still have some problems and don't work as well as there windows versions.

That's why encourage people to get to know a good emulator so you can run your software!
    I continue to try the programs in wine as it progresses and have over the years been able to get E-sword and ISA to work excellently on wine so I removed them from my emulator installation and run them in wine. I also continue to try the others also but so far still no success with those others.

For those of you considerting buying Bible software I recommend you stay away from Logos. They plainly stated that they have no intrest in developing a Linux or BSD version, but they did do a Mac version. After that email I have stopped buying Logos modules and just buy the real book.

I also encourage you to email the developers and ask them to at a minimum port their apps to wine, preferably to totally port to Linux.
    The more of this they get the sooner it will happen and then we won't need to waste all this time trying to get the apps to run in wine and setting up emulators.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I looked in Synaptic for gnomesword and when trying to select it for install i get the following error;

gnomesword:
    Depends: libsword5c2a (>=1.5.8-7) but it is not installable

and won't let me proceed (which is probably a good thing if it is not installable).

Is there a work around for this?

I also tried to install JSword which required an upgraded java script something or other -- the install attempted to run in wine, but then halted and would not continue -- generated some sort of error (I forget what it was at the moment -- it was after a 15Mb download that I haven't attempted again).
    Ubuntu 12.04.3 64bit; Toshiba Satellite U945-S4110 laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Do I need to first install libsword6 which is available in Synaptic? --or would that not include the needed library?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by lwalper View Post
    I looked in Synaptic for gnomesword and when trying to select it for install i get the following error;

gnomesword:
    Depends: libsword5c2a (>=1.5.8-7) but it is not installable

and won't let me proceed (which is probably a good thing if it is not installable).

Is there a work around for this?

I also tried to install JSword which required an upgraded java script something or other -- the install attempted to run in wine, but then halted and would not continue -- generated some sort of error (I forget what it was at the moment -- it was after a 15Mb download that I haven't attempted again).
    This should help:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost...05&postcount=4

Jereme

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

OK, thanks. I got the file -- now what does it mean
    let your computer automatically install the lib file for you (using gDebi...
    I'm a complete newbie and am sure that is some sort of command line to run in the terminal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I tried doing the right click thing in the file manager and ran using the debi installer -- come up with the error to the effect that I don't have permissions or some such thing. Should this be done with the sudo command?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So I tried

sudo gdebi libsword5c2a_1.5.8-8+b1_i386.deb

and got the following:

/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/apt/__init__.py:17: FutureWarning: apt API not stable yet
    warnings.warn("apt API not stable yet", FutureWarning)
    Reading package lists: Done
    Reading state information: Done
    Failed to open the software package The package might be corrupted or you are not allowed to open the file. Check the permissions of the file.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Has anyone figured out the original topic of this thread: Running Bible Works on Ubuntu ?
    Lee

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Sir Winston Churchill

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast