Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolvix Talk

Beans

Re: Wolvix Talk

Quote Originally Posted by slimdog360 View Post
    Ive been beaten to it but I would have wrote.

Step one. put in cd and turn on computer
    Step two. open wolvix menu and click 'install to usb drive'.
    Step three. thats it.

It really is a great distro.
    Awesome! it's that easy?
    breaking out the 1GB Lexar Jump drive & my Wolvix Cub CD!

Beans

I tried out wolvix yesterday. I find it ver very fast like vector linux. I am really very impressed with it and marvel at how it comes with all those ready to use functionalities and tools.

I am merely waiting until they switch to xorg 7 so I can do Beryl like things with it. CPU usage with it is so minimal. A powerful system would be too fast with it. I would try to bulk it up once installed, but it comes already with every app you would need and still be blazingly fast.

Very polished product. Another winner for me.

Once xorg on it goes to 7, I may switch to it as well. As it is now, I see no reason not to use it.
    My favorite distros: Mint / Manjaro / Archbang
    Registered Linux user number 478398
    Other Notables: Ubuntu, Pinguy OS, Semplice,

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I have been familiar with Wolvix for some time, and my wife runs Zenwalk. What has kept me from using it over Zenwalk was the difficulty of a HD install ... well no longer.

I would echo, Wolvix -hunter is very nice. It is great to see they have gotten the installer working as previously it was not so easy to install.

I have installed onto an old laptop and it is running great.

A few "tips" :

First take a look at the slax modules. I downloaded and installed openoffice and nfs without a hitch.

Second, I downloaded firefox 2 from linux packages and again it installed without a hitch.

Other that that Wlovix seems to come with all the applications I need on that old laptop

I am primarily a Fluxbox user and would say Wolvix has the most polished configuration of fluxbox out of the box I have seen. The menu was well done and I added to it rather then a major re-write.

I also like the old school feel of Wolvix. Boot to CLI, none of that sudo stuff, vim (some distro's seem to ship without vim these days).

Also glsapt is included

After spending a week with Wolvix I feel it is faster and more stable then Zenwalk.

Thanks RAV for bringing Wolvix to my attention. Wolvix just replaced Elive and Zenwalk as my favorite light weight distros (I consider DSL/Puppy/AUSTRUMI to be very cool as ultralights, but a little too light for HD install).
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    I have been familiar with Wolvix for some time, and my wife runs Zenwalk. What has kept me from using it over Zenwalk was the difficulty of a HD install ... well no longer.

I would echo, Wolvix -hunter is very nice. It is great to see they have gotten the installer working as previously it was not so easy to install.

I have installed onto an old laptop and it is running great.

A few "tips" :

First take a look at the slax modules. I downloaded and installed openoffice and nfs without a hitch.

Second, I downloaded firefox 2 from linux packages and again it installed without a hitch.

Other that that Wlovix seems to come with all the applications I need on that old laptop

I am primarily a Fluxbox user and would say Wolvix has the most polished configuration of fluxbox out of the box I have seen. The menu was well done and I added to it rather then a major re-write.

I also like the old school feel of Wolvix. Boot to CLI, none of that sudo stuff, vim (some distro's seem to ship without vim these days).

Also glsapt is included

After spending a week with Wolvix I feel it is faster and more stable then Zenwalk.

Thanks RAV for bringing Wolvix to my attention. Wolvix just replaced Elive and Zenwalk as my favorite light weight distros (I consider DSL/Puppy/AUSTRUMI to be very cool as ultralights, but a little too light for HD install).
    Good welcome bodhi.zazen Wolvix Hunter is a shining star of Linux distros, as more people try it they will also fall in love with it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Oops, me bad ...

For anyone interested : From Wolvix himself :

Don't use modules on a hdd installed system. Use tgz packages instead. If you *must* use a module install it like this: mo2dir module.mo / This will extract the module to the (root) / dir. But be aware that some modules can courrupt permissions and accounts like the root account.

I have a development module that I use which is a modified version of the SLAX development module, but it is over 50 MB, so it's hard for me do distribute it. I'll ask the guy who hosts the ISO on http if I can ulpoad the module to the server for you all to download. (My module is just the SLAX devlopment module with extra header files from apps in Wolvix)

If you want to use the devlopment module on a hdd install it is wise to run the module before you start installing. Adding it later may render the install useless.
    Rather :

To fix nfs :

Code:
    Disable the NFS server: (optional)
    /etc/rc.d/rc.nfsd stop
    chmod -x /etc/rc.d/rc.nfsd

Start portmap:
    chmod +x /etc/rc.d/rc.rpc
    /etc/rd.d/rc.rpc start
    To fix clock:

Code:
    install timeconfig

slapt-get --update slpat-get --install glibc-zoneinfo
    run timeconfig
    su # enter PW timeconfig
    To run ntdp, edit /etc/rc.dd/rc.local
    Add these lines :
    /usr/sbin/ntpdate ntp.nasa.gov
    /usr/sbin/ntpd &
    HTH

EDIT : small update
    Last edited by bodhi.zazen; February 25th, 2007 at 06:06 AM.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    Oops, me bad ...

For anyone interested : From Wolvix himself :

Rather :

To fix nfs :

Code:
    Disable the NFS server: (optional)
    /etc/rc.d/rc.nfsd stop
    chmod -x /etc/rc.d/rc.nfsd

Start portmap:
    chmod +x /etc/rc.d/rc.rpc
    /etc/rd.d/rc.rpc start
    To fix clock:

Code:
    install timeconfig
    slapt-get --update slpat-get --install timeconfig
    run timeconfig
    su # enter PW timeconfig
    To run ntdp, edit /etc/rc.dd/rc.local
    Add these lines :

HTH
    Thanks for the 411.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Wolvix Talk

Wooo!

I never expected to read about Wolvix in the Ubuntu forums. (I found this tread on a random Google search.)

Thank you all for the kind words. I'm very happy that you like the distro.

Quote Originally Posted by yabbadabbadont View Post
    Not only is it a nice distro, Wolven is a great guy too. We used to chat on the Gentoo forums before he became "consumed" by Wolvix.
    Consumed is truly the right word. For the last two years I've been living, dreaming and breathing Wolvix. I used to be an avid Quake3 player too, but the frags are few and far between these days.

Quote Originally Posted by kazuya View Post
    [...]
    I am merely waiting until they switch to xorg 7 so I can do Beryl like things with it.
    [...]
    Once xorg on it goes to 7, I may switch to it as well. As it is now, I see no reason not to use it.
    I hope to get Xorg 7 and Beryl working in the next release. (1.1.0) I don't dare to make any promises, but keep an eye out.

Thanks again for the praise, getting feedback like this makes all the hard work worthwhile.

Cheers!

Wolven

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Wolven View Post
    Wooo!

I never expected to read about Wolvix in the Ubuntu forums. (I found this tread on a random Google search.)

Thank you all for the kind words. I'm very happy that you like the distro.

Consumed is truly the right word. For the last two years I've been living, dreaming and breathing Wolvix. I used to be an avid Quake3 player too, but the frags are few and far between these days.

I hope to get Xorg 7 and Beryl working in the next release. (1.1.0) I don't dare to make any promises, but keep an eye out.

Thanks again for the praise, getting feedback like this makes all the hard work worthwhile.

Cheers!

Wolven
    Wolven,

I consider Wolvix Hunter one of the most beautiful and reliable Linux OS's out there. I thank you for your hard work and devotion in creating and distributing such a quality product. Wolvix is a joy to use.

Also I was quite overjoyed to see your post here, it is not often we get the actual dev of distro here.

Some other work I enjoy is Sabayon, rPath and NepaLinux, yet I love the minimalistic beauty of Wolvix Hunter, visually minimalistic yet full featured without bloat. I look forward to your next release (1.1.0). Please keep us posted on any new development, and if you need any help with anything please let me know.

Also do you have an IRC channel?

Jozef

Beans

Hi Jozef. I'm glad you like the distro. I do my best to keep it 'KISS' like Slackware, which I think is a great distro. Most of the hard work is already done for me by Slackware and Slax. I get to do the fun stuff. It's almost like building with Legos, but I have to forge my own blocks sometimes tough.

When I get a new test release out you could help me test it. I have an alpha release out now, but I recommend waiting for the next one. The current alpha is a bit boring and has some obvious flaws like PS/2 mice not working and HAL is somewhat broken.

Yes I do have an IRC channel. It's not very active though. (#wolvix @ irc.freenode.org) It's mostly me and a few regulars hanging out there. There's more action in the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by RAV TUX View Post
    Also I was quite overjoyed to see your post here, it is not often we get the actual dev of distro here.
    I think developers should stay in touch with their community, with out it's community a distro is worth nothing. Especially a small time distro like mine.

I'll try to keep you all informed about the development, but keep an eye on the Wolvix website too. I hope to have a new development release out before long.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Wolven View Post
    Hi Jozef. I'm glad you like the distro. I do my best to keep it 'KISS' like Slackware, which I think is a great distro. Most of the hard work is already done for me by Slackware and Slax. I get to do the fun stuff. It's almost like building with Legos, but I have to forge my own blocks sometimes tough.

When I get a new test release out you could help me test it. I have an alpha release out now, but I recommend waiting for the next one. The current alpha is a bit boring and has some obvious flaws like PS/2 mice not working and HAL is somewhat broken.

Yes I do have an IRC channel. It's not very active though. (#wolvix @ irc.freenode.org) It's mostly me and a few regulars hanging out there. There's more action in the forums.

I think developers should stay in touch with their community, with out it's community a distro is worth nothing. Especially a small time distro like mine.

I'll try to keep you all informed about the development, but keep an eye on the Wolvix website too. I hope to have a new development release out before long.
    Would definitely like to test the Alpha release, let me know when I can download it.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast