Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gnome available for BSD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Gnome available for BSD

Quote Originally Posted by xCM329 View Post
    BSD has been around longer and has been proven to be stronger than Linux. Linux has more support for drivers, but that is because of its nature. BSD is however more stable and can do everything linux can do (including running linux binaries). Just because you had a bad experience with unsupported hardware does not mean that it is not ready for prime time. Please eductate yourself in the field of the different *NIX OS's before you jump down BSD's throat.
    Why is everyone from the BSD side so STUCK on themself like they are some type of PC GOD and everyone else is an idiot?

You guys are really turnung me off to ever try that os again! Best of luck with your bsd
    Registered Linux User: 433263
    Registered Ubuntu User: 9010

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Also,

Can you BSD'ers read what is actually typed or does it have to be in code for you to understand it? I can try using the biggest font they have here and see if that works...

I never said I had a bad experience with BSD, I said it did not work right out of the box!

I never said I could not get it working, I said I did not want to tinker with it!

Do you really think if you stood outside a store and handed 100 BSD disks out that joe and Jane smith could get it working and stick with it? I think not! I imagine 1 out of the 100 ******* user might stick with it, hence my NOT ready for prime time yet comment. If BSD want to gain users who know nothing it has to work out of the box or it will end up in the trash can... I know I wrote this in english but feel free to translate to code if it helps you understand it.

I am NOT a computer god, but I do have a degree in computer science...

Have a nice day!
    Registered Linux User: 433263
    Registered Ubuntu User: 9010

Beans
    Hidden!

BSD is really nothing for home PC use. It is stable and does not have such big software repos as Linux does - just perfect for server use, nothing more.
    Scanmetender[Soft] - Tender security solutions for your computer.
    Scanmetender Standard - It is free! For GNU/Linux and Windows(R).
    http://www.scanmetender.com
    Kanotix

Beans

I have not used BSD, but have read some on it. It is definitly a proven OS. Liking BSD is a matter of preference. For certain power users who perhaps may like to do the itigrity aspects of their OS and maintain a speedy feel about their system, I can see where BSD maybe preferred. As for most new users, with no knowledge or curosity, BSD may not fit the bill. The same could be said for the linux distros as well.

I conclude by saying that they are both good in their different ways. I think the term primetime seemed insulting to the poster because, he would rather it was said that BSD generally takes more work on user part than Ubuntu to setup. Saying not ready fro primetime is like a put down in his book. Then again, it is the user's opinion.

So to each their own. I use gentoo-based, slack-based, debian-based distros. I may eventually try out PC BSD as well.

The slack system I use currently, which I am starting to prefer over Ubuntu uses systems similar or obtained from BSD. Having said that I dare not insult the collaborative effort of either side. They are all wonderful and totally ready for Primetime in my book. The users have to become intelligent enough to use the OS and contribute, hence they should just accept and use what they fell suit them at the moment.; But that doesn't give them the right to insult the efforts or put down the great acchievement of that other OS...
    My favorite distros: Mint / Manjaro / Archbang
    Registered Linux user number 478398
    Other Notables: Ubuntu, Pinguy OS, Semplice,

Beans

I'll have to try out gnome next time I install freebsd. Though I think I'll wait till I get a new computer first, I've got ubuntu working just the way I like it. Not to mention the fact that I needed to follow two guides to get freebsd installed, up and running properly with kde. Its a mission I can tell you.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge

Beans

Hey, raqball, I am a NetBSD user and I know what you mean with some of the bsd-users think they are pc-gods...

In my opinion BSD is more unix than linux but it does not make me as a bsd user more elit.
    I tried Ubuntu, and I work with it every day, but it is booring, its to "out of the box" for me.

No elitism, just using an outher operating system.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by raqball View Post
    I was NOT trying to insult BSD... I think it's a great os... I just dont think it's quite ready for the masses to drop ******* and use it..

I could have tinkered with it and got it working just fine, but dont think many novices could. AND... I really do not like KDE, but that is just me as I think it's to *******y like.
    Its not supposed to be a mainstream desktop OS. ISP's use it alot because of its incredible stability. I'm looking forward to the Debian/BSD ports that being worked on, using apt-get and dpkg would make BSD alot easier I think

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by neowolf View Post
    Its not supposed to be a mainstream desktop OS. ISP's use it alot because of its incredible stability. I'm looking forward to the Debian/BSD ports that being worked on, using apt-get and dpkg would make BSD alot easier I think
    That would be awesome.

Beans

I look forward to that.
    My favorite distros: Mint / Manjaro / Archbang
    Registered Linux user number 478398
    Other Notables: Ubuntu, Pinguy OS, Semplice,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by raqball View Post
    BSD is NOT ready for primetime yet!
    Whoa, what? I'm running PC-BSD on one drive, Ubuntu on the other, and I have to say...BSD is ready. Maybe not 100%, but no operating system is.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast