Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Shuttleworth: "Pretty is a feature"

Beans

Re: Shuttleworth: "Pretty is a feature"

My biggest complaint with Gnome and KDE revolve around basic window look. Menu options and buttons are much larger than they need to be, and quite a bit of free space is wasted with button selection. Basically the overall look is bulky. Evolution is a good example of an application that has a clunky look to it. Changing the font helps to some degree in Gnome, but the overall look still needs a lot of work.

What I like about Windows is how compact but clean you can get everything. I prefer to browse through my files in list view in Windows Explorer. The menu bars as well as browse and search options take up only as much space as they need.

Rather than themes, I would wonder if Mark's statement expresses that he is unhappy with the current direction of both Gnome and KDE. It sounds like he is which opens the possibility of Ubuntu consolidating some of Gnome's work to produce its own distinctive window manager.
    The Arizona Kid

Beans

That's true and if you prefer something more simple can do it yourself.
    Hope the next release will make Vista look like 98 compared to it.
    Why not have it the other way...if you want something complicated, you can do it yourself. I like Ubuntu because it's very simple.

Beans

My only gripe about ubuntu is that it is rather ugly. I mean, beryl is sweet looking. there is no question about that but, everything lacks a sense of unity. If you look at Vista or OS X you'll notice programs all have the same look to them. Linux on the otherhand is very hodge podge. Songbird has a look to it and Totem has another and I can't find a firefox skin to match either!

qamelian is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by peterson2k4 View Post
    My only gripe about ubuntu is that it is rather ugly. I mean, beryl is sweet looking. there is no question about that but, everything lacks a sense of unity. If you look at Vista or OS X you'll notice programs all have the same look to them. Linux on the otherhand is very hodge podge. Songbird has a look to it and Totem has another and I can't find a firefox skin to match either!
    Wrong answer but thank you for playing our game. There are plenty of apps that don't use the standard look on Windows. A few that come to mind are Quicktime, TrueSpace, and Kai's Powertools.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I took a basic Human computer interaction class last term, and amidst all the white noise I think I remember our teacher saying something interesting.

He said that pretty things are more usable. Now this wasn't an opinion, but he was going on about studies that showed how something that was pretty on a visceral level got rated as more usable than an ugly thing that worked exactly the same. Food for thought eh.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Quote Originally Posted by qamelian View Post
    Wrong answer but thank you for playing our game. There are plenty of apps that don't use the standard look on Windows. A few that come to mind are Quicktime, TrueSpace, and Kai's Powertools.
    Forgot one, the infamous iTunes
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans

Why on earth did we bump a thread from October?

Beans
    Hidden!

I had a theory a while back about how I'd divide Canonical's developer resources...
    • 50% goes towards really cool new features that are useful (make it useful)
    • 25% goes towards fixing bugs / issues / security risks (make it secure/functional)
    • 25% goes towards shear eye-candy, usability & "fad" gadgetry (make it cool)
    People are visceral. They like slick looking things. It's basic human nature. So, even if things like Compiz & Beryl and what-not rank pretty high on the "looks cool but can live without" scale, you still devote time to getting it to work with your distro, because cool, superficial things bring in people. Once they have their foot in the door, then you can wow them with real stuff that's useful.

You have to lure them them with style to try and win them with substance.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tundro Walker View Post
    You have to lure them them with style to try and win them with substance.
    Good point. One of the reasons I came back to Linux was by a chance viewing of a YouTube video showing Compiz Fusion. Now I stay because development in Linux is so amazing fast, problems get fixed with the more substantial software as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I'm a Gnome user and have always despised KDE but, I have been keeping a close eye on KDE 4. I must say that the Oxygen Icon theme, Plasma, and the Dolphin file manager look great. The over all appearance of KDE 4 looks like modern OS out of the box. I hope that KDE 4 gets the Gnome devs working on Gnome 3.0. Gnome just seems a little flat out of the box.

Yes, I know that you can customize a DE to look any way you want but, it would be nice to have a sharp looking DE out of the box. Most of my friends see my DE and are like WOW! but when I first install Ubuntu its just plain unattractive.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast