Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: How to fstab

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: How to fstab

Hi, it's a really great guide.

After read this guide i tried to automount my ntfs partition "Programs" with adding this line in /etc/fstab:

Code:
    LABEL=Programs /media/Programs ntfs-3g defaults 0 0
    But then each time i deleted a file from that partition it saids "Can't move file to trash, file will be deleted immediately". Then I tried to change the options to be like this:

Code:
    LABEL=Programs /media/Programs ntfs rw,suid,dev,exec,auto,async 0 0
    But resulting the same issue.

How should i write the options so deleted file won't deleted immediately but move first to the trash, makes me can restore the files when i change my mind.

Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by karmila View Post
    Hi, it's a really great guide.

After read this guide i tried to automount my ntfs partition "Programs" with adding this line in /etc/fstab:

Code:
    But then each time i deleted a file from that partition it saids "Can't move file to trash, file will be deleted immediately". Then I tried to change the options to be like this:

Code:
    LABEL=Programs /media/Programs ntfs rw,suid,dev,exec,auto,async 0 0
    But resulting the same issue.

How should i write the options so deleted file won't deleted immediately but move first to the trash, makes me can restore the files when i change my mind.

Thanks
    I got redirected here from another thread and noticed your question from 3 months ago. With the HowTo's author's indulgence I'll take a crack at it if you're still interested.
    That will produce a mount point that's owned by root with permissions for everyone to read and write. You have permissions to delete but since it's owned by root it can't go into your trash it can only go into root's. One way around this is to take possession of the mount point by adding uid=1000 to your fstab line:
    LABEL=Programs /media/Programs ntfs-3g defaults,uid=1000 0 0
    Last edited by Morbius1; December 22nd, 2010 at 07:36 PM.

Beans

It helped me, Morbius1. Merry Christmas and happy holidays!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi, great tutorial, but I'v come across a problem.

I'v added an entry in fstab for mounting:

Code:
    LABEL=test /media/test ext2 rw,suid,dev,exec,noauto,nouser,async    0       0
    , and it mounts fine, but in the options I'v set it not to mount at boot-up (noauto) but it does.

I'm only trying this out to learn how it works, so any help would be appreciated

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    I got redirected here from another thread and noticed your question from 3 months ago. With the HowTo's author's indulgence I'll take a crack at it if you're still interested.
    That will produce a mount point that's owned by root with permissions for everyone to read and write. You have permissions to delete but since it's owned by root it can't go into your trash it can only go into root's. One way around this is to take possession of the mount point by adding uid=1000 to your fstab line:
    Hi Morbius1

It's 4 months after your post but it solved my old problem, thanks

Beans

Wink Re: How to fstab

This saved me a lot of time, and gave me a whole lot of new and great knowledge about permissions and basic filesystems!
    I :bmark'ed and emailed to 4 of my friends, because we're all trying to learn something all the time, and it's great when people like you take your time to write this great guide in such a detail!

Tanks a lot!
    - jstoone

Beans

the only not-so-useful thing in this post being the apology at the start

Beans

Great tutorial and tips.

I am using a windoz program thru wine and it needs to access the inserted CDROM. Wine has fixed the CDROM folder to be /cdrom, but ubuntu mounts the inserted CD in a subfolder in /media created according to the label of the CD. How can I setup that the inserted CD is always mounted on /cdrom automatically?

Also, would I need to unmount the CD before removing it and inserting another one? Could the other CD get automatically remounted to /cdrom folder?

Beans

by mistacke i changed name of device from /dev/sdXY to /dev/something. how can i change it back so i don't have any more problems with booting?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

[QUOTE=bodhi.zazen;1653968]

Understanding fstab

If you simply want a gui tool to manage your partitions (/etc/fstab) try Pysdm.

pysdm Screen Shot

LOVE this post, though I'd add a caveat regarding Pysdm: it ain't idiot-proof. I thought I'd take the 'easy' way out in automounting partitions by using Pysdm. Fail. Why? I presumed it would be intuitively obvious, so I didn't RTFM. Borked my system, had to use my install CD to get to command line so I could manually edit fstab and fix my GUI mistakes. I think I'll stick to command line configuration of stuff like this for a while.

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast