Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: How to fstab

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: How to fstab

I assume the "guest" is a single account ?

In that case use mount --bind

mount --bind /media/HDI /home/guest/HDI

In fstab :

Code:
    /media/HDI /home/guest/HDI none bind
    The symbols have to do (in a nut shell) with the spaces you used in your labels (Linux does not like spaces).

May I also suggest, if this is a linux server, you use a linux native file system (ext3) ? Linux can not really maintain (defragment) ntfs partitions and permissions (with so many users) will be easier to manage on a linux native system.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Bodhi,

Thanks for the advice, I've managed to get it working, and it boots up with everything the way I wanted it, it all looks "seemless" to everyone now (I hope!).

On partition types.

My personal preference would have been for either a Reiser or EXT3 partition, but my boss wanted it in NTFS (so as the windows machines can easily read them etc) and I don't know a good way to explain about issues of "defragmentation" and with "samba" shares it doesn't really matter anyway....

Also for "safety" reasons the disks are easily removable, so we could potentially just pull out a disk and chuck it into another machine, if it is in NTFS format then this is easy.

Are you aware of any good NTFS tools for linux that will regularly "defrag" the drive?

This could become an issue as the team produce lots of "video" data in their experiments (time lapse over 2 or 3 days with pics every 30 mins).

Thanks in advance for you advice.

David.
    Eee pc via Wubi install.
    evertying works straight out of the box

My Launchpad page

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

No, that is the problems with using ntfs.

Ask your boss if you can "demo" a linux native file system (as you indicated, you do not need the file system to be ntfs to share via samba).
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Bodhi,

<I'm not sure if this is the place for this question? maybe we should start a new thread later on, your choice>

I don't know if this makes sense or not,

I know my boss won't be keen on the idea of using another filing system on the raid devices, but I do intend to maintain the MySQL database I am developing on the main HDD (for now and while it has space - I've been here for 4 months and the database is only really in "demo" mode and I've got 18 Gb of data - and only 3 tables, and no gene sequences yet!), and this is in EXT3 (i think?)

Anyway... my question is this.

When my colleagues are creating their data sets they start with about 60GB of video data, after analysis and stuff they normaly have it trimmed to about 20 or 30

Check out our web page to see some of the stuff we are doing

-http://nuclear.movement.googlepages.com

and here are some sample movies

-http://nuclear.movement.googlepages.com/research2

What I was thinking, is when they "finalise" their movies they could potentially store them on a "separate" partition of the drive.

Do logical partitions of drive space exist in a "physical" manner (ie when I split a drive into a partition is partition1 physically all together and partition2 physcialy after it??

if so could I do the following.

Have one of my TB disks read only, so as I can do the following:

Determine the size of a set of films for one experiment, then create a partition at the "front" of that disk of exactly the desired size to hold just that set of films. copy the films into this new partition (and potentially mount it as a separate read only sub folder).

When they have the next set of films ready do the same procedure, resizing the larger portion of the disk that was remaining to hold just the films from the next experiment?

and keep doing this, meaning that each experiment will exist on a separate partition that is READ ONLY and as it of a fixed size on the disk can't become "fragmented".

Are there any dangers to doing this? such as the continuall repartitioning of the remaining space etc, will it corrupt the data in the partition at the front??

Another question, and I'm begining to think this question should be living in the hardware thread?, in fact I'm going to create this same question in a new thread in that section. I'll link to it later on

Would doing this make access the "films" faster for my colleagues??

Would I then have an easier time of creating "archives" and backup procedures for the data??

Thanks in advance for your asstance.

David

Here is the link to where I have asked this question in the hardware section of the forums.

http://ubuntuforums.org/newthread.ph...ewthread&f=332

Please direct any responses there, thankyou.
    Last edited by theDaveTheRave; December 6th, 2008 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Added link to copy of question in Hardware forum, please respond there.
    Eee pc via Wubi install.
    evertying works straight out of the box

My Launchpad page

Beans

Ok, so I messed up my fstab pretty nicely.

I need to mount a partition to /music. But its mounting as root, so I can't copy my music backups onto it.

The fstab:
    Code:
    UUID=whatever /music  ext3    relatime        0       2
    What does it need to be changed to in order to have it mount the way I'd like it to?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by web250 View Post
    Ok, so I messed up my fstab pretty nicely.

I need to mount a partition to /music. But its mounting as root, so I can't copy my music backups onto it.

The fstab:
    Code:
    UUID=whatever /music  ext3    relatime        0       2
    What does it need to be changed to in order to have it mount the way I'd like it to?
    The fstab entry is ok.

You need to change the owner of the partition:
    Code:
    sudo chown -R username:username /music
    replace username with your log in name(ex. web250:web250)

You can read more about file permissions here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FilePermissions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Code:
    sudo chown -R $USER:$USER /music
    Henceforth you would be the owner of the /music directory, and be able read and write to it as you wish.

Beans

thanks for the tutorial
    but when I mount my external usb drive i get
    Cannot create link /etc/mtab~
    Perhaps there is a stale lock file?
    any hints?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vanva View Post
    thanks for the tutorial
    but when I mount my external usb drive i get

any hints?
    Please provide the details of how you're mounting (the relevant fstab lines and/or the mount command you're using). It seems weird that /etc/mtab~ even comes into play. In fact, check if /etc/mtab~ exists. If it does, delete it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I am trying automount my music folder to see if it help rhytmbox with loading my music. I am not understanding this /etc/fstab file.

The path that I would like to automount is /media/disk-1/Music

I want it to mount with read,write, delete permissions

Here is my /etc/fstab file, can you make any suggestions on how I do this.

Code:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
    # /dev/sda1
    UUID=05502dba-1d9d-41b7-ad03-ecf67e855e16 /               ext3    relatime,errors=remount-ro 0       1
    # /dev/sda5
    UUID=ac866e41-b85e-453d-9fb8-ef84095507ed none            swap    sw              0       0
    /dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0
    thanks for the help.

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast