Page 84 of 91 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586 ... LastLast

Thread: How I got Guild Wars working in Wine 0.9.23

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How I got Guild Wars working in Wine 0.9.23

this is my everlasting issue. my headache and madness. now i tried running the game in a friends house and guess what? WORKED FROM THE GET GO! i was able to log in five times in a row. i opened up all the ports in my firewall, i allowed EVERYTHING to be open and nothing at all. i dunno if it's an issue with wine, or an issue with the router.
    running in terminal with debug i had this error at the end when i got the above picture/error:

Code:
    fixme:winsock:WSACancelAsyncRequest

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amlucent23 View Post
    as soon as i zone in I just hit "m" to bring up the map then hit "m" again to close it and I will always have mouse pointer, try that as a work around.
    tried it : that ISNOT workign for me...

i cant get to the end of a dungeon with out it dissapearing!
    major pain up the bumm!
    would REALLY REALLY like to get this sorted
    swapping out of the game isnt working, if i do that (with the help function) evrything goes belly up.
    Linux x86 amd64 Ubuntu/7.10 (gutsy) NVidia
    Problems:
    1.Logitech G15v1 keyb - (not yet setup properly yet)

Beans

someone in this thread suggested to have a look at
    http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_on_Wine

i used that Wine configuration and launcher setting.
    Code:
    WINEDEBUG=-all wine "C:\Program Files\Guild Wars\Gw.exe" -windowed
    it works and now the Alt key is useable again
    i did not use the -dx8 -noshaders
    lets hope it solves my mouse dissappearing problem.

Extra configuration

The process above will in the majority of cases land you with a working Guild Wars installation. However, for those systems where this doesn't happen, or where you are unsatisfied with the performance and want to try tinkering with the settings to get a better game experience, the following instructions may help.
    [edit] Tuning wine

Start winecfg and, if your hardware supports it, configure the following options.

In the Graphics tab Allow Pixel Shader and set Vertex Shader Support to Hardware. Also it is highly recommended that Allow the window manager to control the window be disabled, this will prevent common desktop hotkey to activate during play. (eg: Switch desktop, cycle window, ...)

In the Audio tab enable the driver that support your audio hardware, ALSA Driver will work in most installation. The following audio options are recommended, Hardware Acceleration select Emulation and make sure Driver Emulation is checked.
    [edit] Configuring Gw.exe

The Wine implementation of Microsoft DirectX9 can be lacking. If that is the case, try running Gw.exe with the flags -dx8 -noshaders. You can also change the Windows version Wine emulates in the Wine Configuration panel. Several people have better luck getting it to work in Windows 98 mode than others. However this mode causes a massive number of graphics anomalies since the Eye of the North updates. It is possible to force Guild Wars to run in a window instead of fullscreen; this can be useful if you run into problems. To do this the flag -windowed is added to the gw.exe command. We will use this until we are satisfied with the results.

Also because Wine will generate a lot of debugging output when running, this can slow the game, environment variable WINEDEBUG will be set to -all (minus all) to prevent any debug output on the console.

Code:
    WINEDEBUG=-all wine "C:\Program Files\Guild Wars\Gw.exe" -windowed
    Problems:

Beans

Figured I'd jump in and contribute absolutely nothing. GW running fantastic but pretty ugly. Gutsy, Dell Dimension 4700C, wine .9.46.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

well i gave up trying to run it. it just won't connect at all. even after opening the ports, changing into a ethernet cable, et cetera et cetera.
    i believe then, that it could be my router. it's a 2wire 1800 hw build 3.5.36.

i did however, tried out at my friends house. she's got the same brand but a newer model and the game connected and it runs fine. *sigh* guess i should start saving up for a new router

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

2wire routers are a real pain in the rear. When I was at Dell, we all hated those calls

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

i hear ya. this is the only second time it's given me any issues. first was when i first got it and it wouldn't want to work at all XD

Beans
    Umm... I've tried to do everything what is said in the first post and the debug-thingy, but all I get is this screen:

The screen is quite much messed up as one can see + It's damn laggy.
    So does anyone know what should I do?
    Last edited by Loiri; March 15th, 2008 at 07:44 PM.

Beans

wondering if there has been a solution for the image of the cursor dissapearing?
    Problems:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I can't seem to get GW to open at all. After I downloaded GW and opened it, nothing happened. any help?

Page 84 of 91 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586 ... LastLast