Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Partitioning Basics

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: HowTo: Partitioning Basics

totally new to ubuntu so bear with me

I've installed ubuntu in a dual boot mode, everything is fine. So well in fact that I want to clean windows out and use the total hard disk for ubuntu or other distros.

I've managed to get Gparted to delete enough of my windows so it won't boot there. I've tried to Delete, Move, etc etc and get the drive cleaned up but to no avail.

the current situation is thus:
    /dev/sda1 ext3 39.07 GiB used 491.65 Mb
    unallocated 39.06 GiB
    /dev/sda2 extended 70.92 GiB
    /dev/sda5 ext 3 29.29 GiB used 409.04 Mb
    /dev/sda6 ext 3 / 40.19 GiB used 3.19 Mb
    /dev/sda7 Lnx swap 1.4 GiB

What I'm looking for is a quick and easy way to dump everything and start anew with a new linux install.

I realize that 40+ GiB is plenty probably I would just like to clean up my mess. As I've not got into adding a whole lot of stuff to the original distro, now is probably the time to do it.

I would appreciate any help for this dummy.

B

Beans

An excellent guide, I learned a few things from this .

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

what is it you would like your partitions to look like then ?

One tip I would give you, you should manage your partitions from a live CD.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I've no idea to tell you the truth. I figured the distro would make the best of 140 GiB of space.

I would like extra (unallocated space) for future stuff so probably 40 percent to the current useage.

maybe some day I will try and install a file server but that is waaaay down the road.

B

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

LOL, use gparted :

Documentation: Gparted Documentation

keep in mind, this is not a support thread so if you have additional questions, best start a thread in ABT or General Help.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks. Excellent guide on partitions.
    Prabath

Beans
    Hidden!

This happens to be one of the problem area for me. For some unknown reason I keep needing to be reminded of even the basics of partitioning, although I've done it sucessfully several times. So, this very complete and helpful How To. Thanks.

Just got a new computer and, of course, it has Vista. I've been using only Linux for so I forgot how Windows works. So, getting the hard drive ready for Ubuntu, need to partition.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

A quick correction to your HOWTO:

I noticed the statement:

A single primary partition may "converted" into an "extended" partition
    near the beginning. You can't convert an existing Primary partition to an Extended partition. The only things you can do to a Primary partition is create it, reformat it to another file system, resize it, move it, or delete it.

Like a Primary partition, the only way you can make an Extended partition is to create it in Unallocated space. If you already have 4 Primary partitions, in order to comply with the "4 Primary partition rule," you will have to delete one of the Primary partitions in order to create the Extended partition.

Once you have the Extended partition, of course, you can create a large number of Logical partitions within it (to a limit, of course, but a normal user shouldn't have to worry about reaching that limit).

Also:

It may be possible to create further extended partitions within an extended partition, although this becomes complicated and I am not sure of any advantage this offers.
    No, you can't create more than one Extended partition on a hard drive, and you can't create an Extended partition within an Extended partition. The only thing you can create within an Extended partition are Logical partitions.

And you're right...it would offer no advantage, unless one faced the possibility of creating over 60 (I believe?) Logical partitions, which is as many as Linux will handle. Other operating systems will handle even less, but it's not very likely that a normal person will come anywhere near that many (of course, I have intimate knowledge of such a person, but...Don't look at me that way!)

<Now for a shameless plug! >

More information on Partitioning can be found at:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowtoPartition
    Last edited by -kg-; January 2nd, 2009 at 07:20 AM.
    73 from Glenn - KG5UC "Mungo just pawn in game of Life"
    Bump Thread Post #39000 - How To Partition

Beans

awsome. very good guide. i have been using linux for a while, and hadnt fully understood the naming structure of the disks and partitions.

Beans

i have once heard that performance may depend on the position of the partition on the harddrive, someone told me this was the reason why the swap partition is positioned at the end, elsewhere i read that the partitions at the beginnig are faster.

is there something to this?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast