Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Puppy Linux: AMAZING.

Beans

Re: Puppy Linux: AMAZING.

Quote Originally Posted by yozef View Post
    Puppy Linux is not based on Debian, Slackware or any other distro,...it is a indepently developed Linux Distro

...but the latest version is enabled to utilize DEB files along with PUPGET files...

and Yes Puppy Linux is an amazing distro overall....unique and has great potential overall

with this said I moving this thread out of the Debian forum to the Other OS general forum
    thats amazing being completely original, Im going to have to try this out. Ive been looking for a distro to install on my usb drive.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TrailerTrash View Post
    LOL...Puppy is not Debian based AFAIK. I think its made off of Slackware....Anyways....Puppy is nice and fast.
    Wrong. Puppy formerly was custom. Now it is based on T2 Linux, which is good, by the way, especially on PowerPC, far better than Ubuntu, largely because T2 keeps up with its package maintenance, so e.g. bluez is the very latest 3.10 not Feisty's 3.9.

I don't know whether Puppy will ever ship for PowerPC but you can always use T2 for that, directly.

Puppy is a nice little distro - the problem has always been the customized package system, making for small selection. Combining with T2 widens that a good bit and the ability to use .deb's is of course the max. But then Debian is not exactly famous for up-to-date packages...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

thoroughly recommend puppy, it loads straight to ram so is really fast, it also has it's own installer to install to usb flash drive, definately worth a try.
    Linux user #435981 / Ubuntu user #9751

"...when i hear the voices, i ignore them, and do something constructive, like play with my ubuntu..."

Beans

Puppy is great. I tried it last night also. It was very very fast. I have some plans for this distro for an older box.
    My favorite distros: Mint / Manjaro / Archbang
    Registered Linux user number 478398
    Other Notables: Ubuntu, Pinguy OS, Semplice,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Arrow Re: Puppy Linux: AMAZING.

Don't just use Puppy on an "old" box ,use it on your best box.
    It runs all in RAM and you can access the hard drive with Pmount too.
    It's great for traveling and using on different computers.Try the http://puppylinux.org/wikka/CommunityEdition!

Beans

I am using it on my older AMD duron 256MB RAM PC. It runs fast. Movies play great and the package installer is awesome and functional. Fewer things or extra stuff to install though.. But, it runs like a champ.. I am leaving it on that machine...

Very impressed with it.

One problem is that sound does not seem to work for my install. I am doing the alsa thing later.

Great distro.

You also have to enable the internet connection as DHCP or dial-up.

Great distro.

the furst linux i tryed was puppy, it just wouldent boot alwase crashes at loding kernal moduals
    im dyslexic, please don't comment on my spelling
    blender 3d artist, visit my portfolio
    Quad-Ren, Open source, resolution independent 2D graphics engine
    Screen space is a precious resource, don't waste it

Beans

give the 2.16 a try now. It would blow your mind away in its speed and configuration tools. I was impressed.

Beans

I am going to try this on my "tiny" usb drive (well, tiny for now, with only 256 mb) and also have plans to use it on an old box, as it is barely used with Windows ME... 0_0

Beans

Yeah, puppy is great. Only problem is, the internet no longer works, not even with the live cd. I don't know why

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast