Page 588 of 2348 FirstFirst ... 8848853857858658758858959059863868810881588 ... LastLast
Results 5,871 to 5,880 of 23480

Thread: Post your .conkyrc files w/ screenshots

Beans

Re: Post your .conkyrc files w/ screenshots

Actually the only reason I even know about the $scroll functionality is because it is used in the default conky.conf file in /etc/conky

Here is the line that uses it:

Code:
    ${scroll 16 $nodename - $sysname $kernel on $machine | }
    And here is what it says in the the man pages I have locally:

Code:
     scroll length text
                  Scroll ’text’ showing ’length’ number of characters at the same time. The text may also contain variables. If a var creates output on multiple lines then the lines are placed  behind  each  other  separated  with  a
                  ’|’‐sign.  Do  NOT  use  vars  that  change colors or otherwise affect the design inside a scrolling text. If you want spaces between the start and the end of ’text’, place them at the end of ’text’ not at the front
                  ("foobar" and " foobar" can both generate "barfoo" but "foobar " will keep the spaces like this "bar foo").
    Anyways, as far as I have noticed that is the only variable missing from the variable page online.

Getting creative with it: Maybe you could put an $hr in it and set its length to create the "------ TITLE ------" effect I wanted to do (since $hr normally stretches the entire length). Since its in the $scroll it you might be able to pretty simply specify its length. The only downside I can see is that it might use up more CPU usage to use the scroll (yes I know not much but with a lot of them it could add up and the point of conky is to keep it minimal). You can get the same effect that he told me before and even though it is a little harder to configure you only need to figure it out once and then keep using it.

Beans

Well, I can confirm that $hr doesn't work, it still goes all the way to the end of the line. What can be done, of course, is to create a separate conky just for those 'starter' lines, with the exact same settings as the original conky but no text, and a width as required for the starter lines.

Beans

Look back maybe 5 pages or so at what bruce thought up of. He basically used CPU's that you don't have as lines, like cpu5 or something.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Ng Oon-Ee View Post
    Thanks, kaivalagi, but I've gone through that previously (not as thoroughly as ScottG489 though I think) and $scroll is not anywhere mentioned.
    Take a look at the docs that install with conky located in:

/usr/share/doc/conky/

there is variables.html and config_settings.html
    The mark of an honest man ... is that he means what he says and knows what he means.
    A.R.

Beans

Has anyone here played around with true transparency for Conky via compiz? Found a guide here. The only problem is that sometimes I'd switch back to Metacity for a while, and in that case my conky is gonna be ugly...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

@Ng Oon-Ee: I did try transparency via Compiz, but found that I didn't like the overall effect. not only was the background color (black in my case) a certain % transparent, but so was the foreground... all the fonts bars and graphs. It ended up looking very washed out and muted.
    || Kubuntu x86_64 (15.10 Dev.) || KDE 4.9.00 ||
    || Dell Inspiron 570 || 8GB PC3-10600 DDR3 RAM || AMD Phenom II X4 820 @ 2.8Ghz ||
    || Logitech M570 Trackball || Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard ||
    Conky: ... no such configuration: 'normal'

Beans

Yea it makes the text and such transparent too so its harder to read. The only thing I can think that you could do is use the fake transparency that comes with conky and set the background in compiz to the same as the one that is set by gnome or nautilus or w/e is drawing your normal background. However, this way you will only be able to keep the conky window on 1 viewport.

P.S. I was just messing around with some variables and noticed how terribly the $user_names , $user_terms , and $user_times were formatted. They are all smushed together and there isn't really a way to format them. Just thought I would put it out there since it seems like it would be pretty simple to write a script to fix this.
    Last edited by ScottG489; February 26th, 2009 at 04:57 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG489 View Post
    Just thought I would put it out there since it seems like it would be pretty simple to write a script to fix this.
    Better to submit a patch to the dev's so it's fixed for everyone.
    Warranty? Who needs a warranty?
    If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

@ScottG489: could you show us an example of what it looks like?

AFU (Away From Ubuntu)
    || Kubuntu x86_64 (15.10 Dev.) || KDE 4.9.00 ||
    || Dell Inspiron 570 || 8GB PC3-10600 DDR3 RAM || AMD Phenom II X4 820 @ 2.8Ghz ||
    || Logitech M570 Trackball || Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard ||
    Conky: ... no such configuration: 'normal'

Beans

thanks to ans5685 for his xcompmgr+transet-df transparency idea:

i've added a conky with the explanation of wallpaper, it change every day at boot importing the apod
    mujeres y hombres de esta tierra
    un otro mundo es posible
    otro mundo diferente
    justo si, y sin miedo de su gente

Page 588 of 2348 FirstFirst ... 8848853857858658758858959059863868810881588 ... LastLast