i think it is wrong to separate out user made scripts as "workarounds"
it's no accident that when you run conky -v you get this at the end:
Code:

* Lua

Lua bindings:
   * Cairo
   * Imlib2
as well as an ever growing number of lua related settings and objects

running user made scripts through conky is just as much "conky" as using the built in objects.
User made LUA scripts are far from the problem here. They, by no means, should stop, and I never said they should. My problem here is, if you'll follow me, that we've seen all the design possibilities already. They're all repetition now. The same Weather sections, the same System sections, the same Networking sections, all of this the same things in different colours and yet still the same. The Conky Window is always either a strip down the side, a strip across the top or bottom, containing some sort of background that separates the data into sections (Similar to what davesbrain came up with for example, and I think wlorf started that.), some sort of screen-filling amalgamation of multiple Conky scripts (Which I call the Sector11 Special, no one does it better.) or finally the LUA Workaround.

LUA scripts seem to be the only way we see variety anymore. It's... kinda depressing a little bit. Not everyone can learn a scripting language. A Layout Program, sure. Anyone can learn that. But a Scripting Language? That takes a little more than many people would be willing to put into it. Just the thought that the design idea possibilities are so crippled by that. Instead of a metric ton of random people with a million ideas, it cuts it down to a few thousand ideas being generated by the people who are willing to go the extra distance to learn the scripting language.

I mean, seriously. When was the last time you saw an actual LAYOUT be innovative? I don't mean having different colours, or was lined up offset somehow, I mean genuinely DIFFERENT? One feature or another being different doesn't count. I mean someone did something completely different than everyone else. It's been a while now for me. It's hard to appreciate work like davesbrain put into his new layout when the program led other people to that point a long time ago. And it's not davesbrain's fault, it's just that Conky doesn't give a lot of room to go new places these days.