Page 1911 of 2348 FirstFirst ... 911141118111861190119091910191119121913192119612011 ... LastLast
Results 19,101 to 19,110 of 23480

Thread: Post your .conkyrc files w/ screenshots

Beans

Re: Post your .conkyrc files w/ screenshots

Quote Originally Posted by pressko View Post
    Hi,

Awesome work man .Can you send me your conky configuration ?!
    Best Regards,
    Pressko
    He only posts his code in the VinDSL Conky Howto. Just check his sig (Or Mine) and you'll be taken to the howto. He has a "Perpetual Data Dump Post" that is third or fourth post down.

Plus, I think Vin isn't ready to release the code for that particular version yet. He's usually not coy about it when it's done. He's playing coy, that means it's not ready for release yet. But, I see no difference between what he's currently got and that image up there, so feel free to rob his code from the Howto.

And @cain071546, for the love of all things holy in this world, put some CODE tags around your scripts so it can be easier read by passers by, will ya?

Beans

Dorian (or anyone),

I am following your how to guide, but being new I am stuck on a point. When I create the .fonts folder in my home directory, it only shows for a moment and then disappears. When I create it in a terminal with a mkdir command it tell me the file exists, but I am unable to see it or download script into it. Any suggestions?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chris1216 View Post
    Dorian (or anyone),

I am following your how to guide, but being new I am stuck on a point. When I create the .fonts folder in my home directory, it only shows for a moment and then disappears. When I create it in a terminal with a mkdir command it tell me the file exists, but I am unable to see it or download script into it. Any suggestions?
    It's not disappearing. In your file manager window there is probably a menu that says "View", in that menu there should be an option to "Show Hidden Files" or, I think it's also available through CTRL+H (Though that might be different for you than it is for me. Different window managers have different menus and shortcuts.)

Voila. Hidden files shown. Your directory will exist, and you'll be able to use it.

Beans

And before anyone complains, no, I did not forget to mention that in the HowTo. That is a Window Manager question, and a general Linux question. The goal of the guide is for Conky and VinDSL's scripts. If I was to include every possible mutation of the Window Managers too, then it would be pages and pages and pages of HowTo, and only one post that was actually on-topic. Just because no one bothered to write a HowTo before doesn't mean that the one time someone DOES write one means it has to be all-inclusive and treat the reader like an idiot. It's a HowTo, not a Pre-School/For Dummies guide.

These users aren't idiots or dummies. They just need to know something before they can call themselves anything other than beginners. The guide is far from all-inclusive. I never intended for it to BE all-inclusive. It was hard enough to write already, I don't need to make it moreso.

Beans

Dorian,

Thank you that solved it. And from someone who is new to this (a beginner) and trying to learn, I appreciate your efforts.

chris

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Here's a interesting question. Does anyone have a idea how I could show my download speed coming off of my router? I have 3 other computers and a Roku box. In my conky it will only show the download speed of my computer.
    I have tried to google it and checked other forums and I haven't come up with any results.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alpetjr View Post
    Here's a interesting question. Does anyone have a idea how I could show my download speed coming off of my router? I have 3 other computers and a Roku box. In my conky it will only show the download speed of my computer.
    I have tried to google it and checked other forums and I haven't come up with any results.
    That's because you can't. Routers don't track that kind of thing. If you had a computer there instead of a Router, and it attached to an in-area wired Hub or Wireless Card to share it's internet connection with your home network, a program or item such as VNSTAT could be running on that particular interface and track that data. Then it would be as simple as sharing the folder that The Program/VNSTAT is storing it's data in with the rest of the network, and using CAT to read the log in real time across the network.

But, Routers can't do that. They're over-simplified connection-sharers in the home market. They don't run additional apps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Well, I guess it was a nice try. I figured it would be able to read the traffic from the IP. address.Thanks
    Last edited by alpetjr; January 18th, 2012 at 03:08 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by alpetjr View Post
    you may not be able to read from the router directly
    but would i be mistaken in saying that
    total download speed = comp 1 speed + comp 2 speed + comp 3 speed?

is there a way to measure those and add them together?

Beans

No matter how you slice it, you need some sort of program tracking how much bandwidth each machine is using, and you need them to all be dumping their data to specific, shared, log files. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he said he had 3 computers and a Roku Box. I don't believe Roku Boxes, much like Routers, can run something to dump the bandwidth to a shared log file.

So, he'd be stuck with three computers tracking their bandwidth and not getting the full picture. If one or more of those computers is turned off for any reason, any script reading the shared log file would break because it can't access it. The ability to add their bandwidths is limited by the capacity to detect their presence on the network.

You might as well write a new chunk of the operating system to do all that. Conky and LUA aren't going to be that intelligent. The actual easy way is to replace the router with a computer that is doing the router's job. I know, that's wacky and seems like it's over-complicated. But, y'know what? Consumer Routers can't do the job required. Finding a cheap, throw-away computer of some sort that you can install Linux on and leave in a corner somewhere next to the modem gives you the flexibility you're asking for in this case.

Page 1911 of 2348 FirstFirst ... 911141118111861190119091910191119121913192119612011 ... LastLast