Page 1712 of 2328 FirstFirst ... 7121212161216621702171017111712171317141722176218122212 ... LastLast
Results 17,111 to 17,120 of 23272

Thread: Post your .conkyrc files w/ screenshots

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Post your .conkyrc files w/ screenshots

Quote Originally Posted by djyoung4 View Post
    I knew none of it was personal. you can have your own opinion. Personally I don't like VinDSL's conky too much either. Not a fan of the conky down the right hand side. too plain for me.

May we see your conky
    Would you mind sharing that piece of your conky that displays the available wireless networks? Looks interesting enough to be studied

Thanks in advance...
    El Belgicano
    -----------------
    Laptop: 5 years old Asus M6N (ATI9600/9700 graphics, 512Mb RAM, Intel Mobile 1.66GHz, 60Gb HDD) running 10.04-Lucid Lynx pretty nicely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Aquix View Post
    I might think you're a politician in your day job because yoiu said nothing substantial what so ever.
    I don't see how you can claim me for ad hominem attacks when I cleaarly stated that such a thing would be against me any person and caracther.

Still think I'm right thougyh.
    Alright. You know so much better? Prove it. When YOU have done something for the Conky community, then you can judge who has done what for it. You haven't so much as submitted a configuration of any sort, nor have I ever seen you help another person.

You sit in judgement over others, and claim to know what is best for this thread, and yet have never earned that position. You have no authority, you're not a Mod, nor are you so much as a participant in this thread until now.

Your opinion is welcomed, but it doesn't mean you are free from being held to your words. You said what you said, and I hold you accountable. So, unless you plan on continuing your trolling session, I suggest you either stop making such claims, or prove your point to one of the Mods. Because, opinion or not, you are accountable for saying VinDSL's participation in this thread has ruined it, as well as saying this thread deserves better, as well as telling people to get another thread. If you didn't expect others to voice their opinions, you shouldn't have put your opinion on a public forum.

Stylistically, I don't like VinDSL's configuration either. I have to acknowledge that others do, but not for myself. That's why I have my own configuration. But I have enough respect for what he's done not to make it into some sort of major offence that he participates in this thread. Indeed, I'm frustrated that he doesn't tell users in his data dump posts that his configuration isn't for the first-timer, but that isn't any reason to ignore the work he's done getting so many people on their way to their own configurations. You don't have the right to judge that, neither do I. So have some respect for people other than yourself. Leave the judgement of who has done what to this thread to the Mods. If you want to voice that kind of concern, take it up with them. To do otherwise is called Trolling. And I believe it's covered in the forum's posting rules.

Beans

I do have original conkys. And better, I have hubris enough to not be an ******* and change it up a little.

Beans

Funny. I've seen copies of that Conky several times. At one point I think I saw wlorf or dk75 with a similar setup. Lots of people decide to make those little boxes to separate the sections of their Conky. Slightly different colours, which order they go in changes, but the same ones. I don't think you or any of them is ruining anything by having them. None of you has a truly unique one, but you truly can't guarantee absolute uniqueness with Conky. There are only so many variables, scripts, and images to be used. Mine is entirely different than both of you stylistically, but it's remarkably similar in layout and content to the vast majority of others.

Your hubris and bravado has only gone to invalidate your point about VinDSL's Conky setup. You're no more qualified to talk about uniqueness and repetitive setups than anyone else on this forum. I do like your setup. And I can at least respect you for having it. And I haven't had to resort to insults to get that point across. So, please. Have a little respect for others and try not to demean anyone's Conky just because you've seen it before. The same can be said for yours.

Beans

I never said mine was best or better than anything.

The amazing thing for me is that I haven't heard from the guy that made the conky. No, instead I have to deal with zealots.

Wonderfull.

Only thing I want!!

Can we please not see vdsl conky every time we scroll through this thread.

Get a room.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Aquix View Post
    I do have original conkys. And better, I have hubris enough to not be an ******* and change it up a little.

well, leaving everything else aside, I would like to say that you have a very nice conky, and it matches the launcher you have at the bottom which gives the whole thing a unified look

is that images your overlaying the conkyrc output on? or are you drawing those with lua?

maybe you could put a border around the launcher so it matches the conky even better (if you dont mind my suggestions ) and maybe a tweak here and there to realign some of the conky text so it stays all within the black

then again i am a perfectionist so those tiny details may only ever bother me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by El_Belgicano View Post
    Would you mind sharing that piece of your conky that displays the available wireless networks? Looks interesting enough to be studied

Thanks in advance...
    surely check this post. Pretty simple script. just need to edit visudo and Aquix, <rant>your conky is nice (i like it and admire that you have put in the work to make it look good) and to call someone a zealot means we would use and follow VinDSL's work. I do neither. I stick up for the guy because he has taken the time to try and perfect his .conkyrc in his own way. I am not a fan at all nor will I probably be using it anytime soon. I like making up my own conkies and the only thing I have used recently is mrpeachy's work. I am not nearly proficient in lua nor will I be anytime soon. The work of other people is there own work. If you don't like that other people are copying it then go to a different thread. Some people here like it and will use there work. it happens. I agree with 42dorian that it is annoying at the amount of people that come in and copy his .conkyrc's and expect them to work and then come back to this thread and say this isn't working. I do have patients for these people as my first post in this thread was very similar to there posts. I had no idea what I was doing and just said this is broken. I learned though and hopefully other people will learn too. Patients is very important in forums and comments on other poeples conkies are accepted. 42dorian asks every time he does a data dump if people see something that will make it look better. he accepts constructive criticism which is a very good thing in this community. I enjoy trying to contribute to this community and though I haven't contributed much other then one simple script which mrpeachy helped me on and some semi-interesting conkies I still enjoy being a part of the community. I like the people who frequently post here and hope that this thread keeps going for a long time. Its a fun thing to do in my free time and I enjoy seeing what can be outputted on my computer screen. Your opinion here is accepted and I don't consider you to be trolling and I appreciate that you contributed your conky and hope that you will stick around and hopefully help more people with there conkies. That is why I am here because when I was starting out I had Bruce, londonali, mobilediesel, dk75, crinos512, kaivalagi(back when they used to post alot) and others who I cant remember right now and I hope to work towards there statuses in this community. I want people to come to me for help and hope that I can pass on the knowledge<rant>.
    Last edited by djyoung4; April 19th, 2011 at 02:10 AM.
    I'm a super power user

Beans

mrpeachy,

Your conky and launcher looks pretty nice!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 42dorian View Post
    AHA! That's more helpful to us! Giving more information is always better! I recognized the font problem, but there's no point in helping you if YOU don't recognize it. And YOU don't recognize it unless you've got a primer on this stuff. You need to start somewhere, and understand what you're doing. You need a foundation to build from.

YOU NEED TO DO A FONT RELOAD! AKA, This in a Terminal.

Code:
    fc-cache -f -v
    I am NOT snotty. I am frustrated. These perfectly innocent new Conky users keep falling for this same bloody trap. Laziness. They see this kick ***, cleanly laid out, very well coordinated Conky that VinDSL shows off, and they want it to "Just Work For Them." Laziness. Laziness I blame on the Apple users of the world. Too lazy minded to expect to have to do any of the work yourself. If they had copied pretty much anyone else, it would be a very straight forward path to learning Conky and we'd stop getting "It's Broken" and get "This Weird Thing Happens in This Section, Can Anyone Help?" Like we're just going to magically intuit the solution from a screenshot. VinDSL does a great job, and these users have every right and reason to aspire to what he does. But I'm really getting tired of "I Just Want It To Work" responses with no information on what they've already tried, or what they already know. How is anyone expected to help these people if they have really nowhere to start from TO help them? The result is this thread getting longer and longer with very little to help anyone who doesn't have ten hours to kill to find out about the ${goto} object, or how to reload their fonts.

Had ANY of these users started off with someone else's work and learned their way to what they really wanted, we wouldn't be doing this. But, they chose VinDSL, who, I might add, has several sections that are far more advanced than basic Conky objects, spacing, and stock fonts will allow. Because he's, well, HIM, there's more than basics to it, and there has to be a foundation in understanding Conky and the tricks we all know about in order to get it working. Those who don't have that foundation come back to us with just "It's Broken."

The only thing I really want VinDSL to do is put the "Do Not Copy This Unless You Are Already Familiar With Conky And It's Variables" warning IN THE DATA DUMP POSTS. It's really obvious that these users don't read his script first time anyways, so it might as well be right there in the post. In the image if necessary.

I'm HAPPY to help people learn. I'm happy to provide the helpful links. I'm happy to help troubleshoot one little thing or another. But it's incredibly frustrating to see the same thing every time. "I copied VinDSL's script. It's not working for me." Then either nothing, or just a screenshot. No information. No preface. No elaboration of what they already know. Just "It's Broken. Fix It." Yes. This thread has thousands and thousands of posts in it. I sympathize with any new user on that one. But, a vast majority of these posts are to do with taking pages and pages to get new users' Conky to work for them, after copying one of VinDSL's setups. If those weren't there, this thread would be incredibly easy and efficient help for new users, and those of us trying to help them get hooked on Conky like we are.

*EDIT* @Arminius I suggest you get used to the "Edit" link at the bottom of your posts, just as I just did. I find it a lot easier to work with when you're working interactively on a script with someone helping you. I know, getting a problem solved gets exciting and you want to stop someone from wasting their time if you figure something out for yourself. But, the Edit link (Bottom right, next to the Quote link.) helps with that too. I put *EDIT* next to my edited text to let people I'm working with know that I caught something. There's nothing really wrong with the multiple post method, but the edit method will help you more. If someone replies, then start a new post. If it's just your post on the end, edit it. It'll help!
    Thanks! I was able to fix the font issue.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by blandonfrank View Post
    mrpeachy,

Your conky and launcher looks pretty nice!
    thats not mine

belongs to Aquix
    i was just quoting his post

Page 1712 of 2328 FirstFirst ... 7121212161216621702171017111712171317141722176218122212 ... LastLast