Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To: Alps touchpad on 2.6.10 Hoary

Hybrid View

Beans

How To: Alps touchpad on 2.6.10 Hoary

At the request of somebody I helped earlier.

% sudo aptitude install linux-source-2.6.10 kernel-package xorg-driver-synaptics
    % cd /usr/src
    % sudo tar -x -j -f linux-source-2.6.10.tar.bz2
    % cd linux-source-2.6.10
    % gunzip -c /usr/share/doc/xorg-driver-synaptics/alps.patch.gz | sudo patch -p1
    % sudo cp /boot/config-2.6.10-5-386 ./.config ## or whatever you are currently running--note that there are two dots there, since the file is <dot>config
    % sudo make-kpkg --us --uc --initrd --append_to_version "-5-386-alps" kernel_image kernel_headers kernel_source
    % cd ..
    % sudo dpkg -i kernel*alps*deb

Then just use the template in /usr/share/doc/xorg-driver-synaptics/README.alps for your xorg.conf. To disable tap-to-click while preserving the scrolling behavior on the right edge of the pad, try setting MaxTapTime to 0.
    Last edited by mendicant; April 26th, 2005 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Remove '-' from gunzip -c ... | patch

Beans

Re: How To: Alps touchpad on 2.6.10 Hoary

Thanks for the guide but I'm failing at the aptitude command!

Can you tell me which repositries you're using?

Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGodfrey
    Thanks for the guide but I'm failing at the aptitude command!
    How are you failing?

xorg-driver-synaptics is in X11/main
    kernel-package is in misc/main
    linux-source-2.6.10 is in devel/main

I do have restricted, universe and multiverse, but those won't matter because everything is in main.
    Last edited by mendicant; April 20th, 2005 at 04:21 PM.

Beans

You could just use apt-get instead of aptitude...

Beans

aptitude vs apt-get isn't likely to be the issue. In any case, you should use aptitude in preference to apt-get or other console based front ends:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/.../msg11344.html

Beans

Right then I've eventually managed to get all that done! It's taken me around 15 hours.....

I re-boot the PC and my new kernel was there (ends in -alps) booted into that and X wouldn't start. So I restored the original xorg.conf and it started up ok

The tap to click has now been disabled (phew) but I still get the mouse occasionally scrolling down the screen and getting stuck at the top or bottom menu bar

Any ideas?

Thanks

Beans

Hi, thanks for this thread.

I'm new to Linux and this line is unclear to me.

% sudo cp /boot/config-2.6.10-5-386 ./.config ## or whatever you are currently running--note that there are two dots there, since the file is <dot>config

What goes in place of ## in the line above?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JALenon

What goes in place of ## in the line above?
    Nothing. It's a comment, so you could just print out the whole line and it would work. The comment itself refers to the fact that config-2.6.10-5-386 might have to change. For example, if you use a 686 kernel, it would be config-2.6.10-5-686.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Using basically the same method posted by mendicant, I got the alps/synaptic driver loaded according to my Xorg.0.log. However the sensitivity is very low and immediately after I log into and KDE loads, the touchpad stops working completely. I'm using mlord's xorg.conf, who got it working in this thread.

Update: Ok via the README, adding the "AlwaysCore" and "CorePointer" in the ServerLayout section of my xorg.conf while commenting out the CorePointer options in the InputDevice section fixed it.
    Last edited by dejitarob; June 13th, 2005 at 07:47 PM.
    "We do not want a world in which the guarantee that we will not die of starvation is bought by accepting the risk of dying of boredom." -Vaneigem

Beans

Question Re: How To: Alps touchpad on 2.6.10 Hoary

Quote Originally Posted by mendicant
    At the request of somebody I helped earlier.

% sudo aptitude install linux-source-2.6.10 kernel-package xorg-driver-synaptics
    % cd /usr/src
    % sudo tar -x -j -f linux-source-2.6.10.tar.bz2
    % cd linux-source-2.6.10
    % gunzip -c /usr/share/doc/xorg-driver-synaptics/alps.patch.gz | sudo patch -p1
    % sudo make-kpkg --us --uc --initrd --append_to_version "-5-386-alps" kernel_image kernel_headers kernel_source
    % cd ..
    % sudo dpkg -i kernel*alps*deb

Then just use the template in /usr/share/doc/xorg-driver-synaptics/README.alps for your xorg.conf. To disable tap-to-click while preserving the scrolling behavior on the right edge of the pad, try setting MaxTapTime to 0.

Got to the gunzip line and I'm having an issue...
    Code:
    patching file drivers/input/mouse/Makefile
    patching file drivers/input/mouse/alps.c
    patching file drivers/input/mouse/alps.h
    can't find file to patch at input line 486
    Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
    The text leading up to this was:
    --------------------------
    |diff -puN drivers/input/mouse/psmouse-base.c~alps drivers/input/mouse/psmouse-base.c
    |--- linux/drivers/input/mouse/psmouse-base.c~alps      2004-10-20 20:04:38.190737928 +0200
    |+++ linux-petero/drivers/input/mouse/psmouse-base.c    2004-10-20 20:04:38.196737016 +0200
    --------------------------
    File to patch:
    So what exactly is the file I'm patching? Am I missing something really obvious?
    Sorry if so...
    Help!

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast