Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Japanese input in qt and gtk!

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Japanese input in qt and gtk!

If you install Japanese tables you can type hiragana and katakana without having the kanji selection pull up. scim-tables-ja
    For screenshots see my CJK guide http://mrbass.org/linux/ubuntu/scim/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Re: HOWTO: Japanese input in qt and gtk!

Hi, On the day I converted to Ubuntu/Linux (1 week ago), I was helped by a kind person in the Ubuntu Chat room. The person led me thru some steps to get Japanese input set-up on my computer. I don't rememeber the instructions. I checked synaptic and it shows that I have UIM files and Anthy installed. How do I know which is currently running? And if I do have both, is one necessary for the other to work? Or can I delete one of them?

When I press Shift+Space, that's when I enter Japanese input mode, when I press Shift+Space again, I'm back to English.

Do I need both? Is there a way to get a better Japanese input (for example, choosing between half-character and full-character Japanese text)? Which is the best program?

Where does SCIM fit into the picture?

If I'm understanding correctly, SCIM requires both anthy and UIM. correct?

Anyway, I'm running Ubuntu 5.04 (hoary hedgehog).

As I'm living in Japan and bought a Japanese Dell system, I have a Japanese keyboard. I set up Ubuntu to run with a Dvorak layout.

Now my other question: WHich instructions do I follow: Post1, Post2, or both?
    Last edited by hanzj; May 23rd, 2005 at 01:55 PM.

Beans

Under KDE, does anyone know how to make the annoying little popup toolbar bugger off? I'd like to just ctrl-space to toggle Japanese/English input. The little toolbar thing is unnecessary. How can I kill it?

Beans

http://mrbass.org/linux/ubuntu/scim/scim-jp16.png

I know this shows GTK but either this works or there is perhaps a QT settings...not sure. Anyway just uncheck some of the Toolbar options in SCIM setup.

Beans

Yes, that removes some of the options from the irritating little toolbar making it smaller -- but still just big enough to cover up my clock! And no way to close it either! So I find myself just constantly moving it out of the way. How can I just close the damn thing?!

Beans

My SCIM doesn't have any installed tables. How do I get Anthy in there?
    EDIT 1: Oh, nm.
    EDIT 2: Is there any Keyboard-command to switch between katakana and hiragana?
    Last edited by Trojan1313; August 8th, 2005 at 11:32 AM.

Beans

Two quick questions.

1. So this works for gtk and qt. So this wouldn't work for one of those that are neither apps like limewire? (Though I do notice limewire doesn't even display japanese correctly on my computer.)

2. anthy is great, but I was wondering if there was an easier way on linux to get katakana to spurt out. Right now I'm forced to space bar it for each and every character if the word or non word is not in the dictionary. On my old Mac I used to use the shift key to just type in katakana and it worked well. Is there an easier way on linux?

Beans

If you don't like the traditional input of katakana アイウエオ I think what you want then is the katakana tables so you can just press the mouse on which one you want.

not sure about limewire....for example GAIM had trouble with double-byte characters but I believe it's solved now.

japanese imput works well in firefox but not in any kde app?
    what's wrong?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Hello.

I have 2 problems (Breezy):
    * scim-setup segfault
    ----
    Loading Config Module gconf
    Loading Config Module simple
    Loading Config Module socket
    Loading Setup Module hangul-imengine-setup
    Segmentation fault
    ----
    * When I enable scim, applications take an extra 10 seconds to load while on the console "Launching a SCIM daemon with Socket FrontEnd..." is displayed.

Apart from that, I can input Japanese, but... That's quite a serious problem.

PS: using gdb:
    Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
    [Switching to Thread -1218419008 (LWP 11177)]
    0xb7241f7e in __gnu_cxx::__mt_alloc<PinyinEntry, __gnu_cxx::__common_pool_policy<__gnu_cxx::__pool, true> >::allocate ()
    from /usr/lib/scim-1.0//1.0.0/IMEngine/pinyin.so

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast