Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Logitech MX Revolution in Dapper

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Logitech MX Revolution in Dapper

Another way to use the search button as a middle click is to edit the file /usr/share/apps/kxkb/ubuntu.xmodmap

All it does is maps keycode 122 to the button 2 of the mouse.

Issue the command:

Code:
    sudo vi /usr/share/apps/kxkb/ubuntu.xmodmap
    and add a line like this:

Code:
    keycode 122 = Pointer_Button2
    Restart X and that's it.

Beans

A lot of what is done in the above instructions is unnecessary. Udev is not needed. I have posted complete instructions at http://rootsmith.ca/mxrev-linux.html to get the MX Revolution running on Linux in a simpler fashion.

Beans

hockeysk8 - Got news for you, this guide is perfectly correct, it doesn't use udev. You might want to read through it again . . . .

Beans

I'm not sure if everyone saw the links in this thread to the Andy Hill site, but on his site he has linked to a tool for the middle mouse button called Revoco. Right now the writer (Edgar Toernig) of the tool's website is down...a router issue he hopes to have fixed by the end of this week.

Anyway, I have two other links to version 0.3 so you can use Revoco now while Edgar gets his site up and running.

http://www.drewandnati.com/revoco-0.3.tar.gz
    http://www.missingreality.com/revoco/revoco-0.3.tar.gz

For updates you will need to go to his site:

http://goron.de/~froese/revoco/

Here are some instructions on getting it to work.

First extract everything in any fashion you like to where ever you like.

Next, open a terminal and change dir to where ever you extracted everything. Then type:
    Code:
    make
    Then, make it executable:
    Code:
    chmod a+x revoco
    Finally, run it as superuser:
    Code:
    sudo revoco
    The usage instructions in the program are VERY self explanatory. For the auto shift speed setting, just type a number. I use 10. Once you send a command, it will stay that way until you change it...that means reboots, log outs, the works...the setting will stay the same. I hope this helps some people looking for some middle button action.

Keep an eye out for updates, Edgar says he's looking to find a way to monitor the battery too, like setpoint.

Drew
    Last edited by drdrewusaf; December 30th, 2006 at 11:28 PM. Reason: better instructions

Beans

Hi again guys,
    I just got an idea of a workaround for the Xserver to avoid failure in case of unplugged Rev mouse. This would require creating two different xorg.confs and a wrapper script for X to swap the config file for the right one if the mouse is present or not when starting. Anone interested, or that's too fishy?

Michal, with enough will to test if someone else needs it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Search button-> mouse wheel click
    There is no mouse wheel click on the MX Revolution. One option is to bind it to the search button (below the top mouse wheel). The next step, by MonkeyWrench32, shows you how to do this.

1. Download this compiled version of mvmouse. Special thanks to audax321. It was compiled under Breezy but it works with Edgy just fine (and it should for Dapper as well).

2. Open the terminal, navigate to where you downloaded mvmouse.tar.gz, and issue these commands:
    Code:
    tar xvzf mvmouse.tar.gz sudo mv mvmouse /usr/bin/
    3. Install xbindkeys if you haven't already done so:

Code:
    sudo aptitude install xbindkeys
    4. Make an .xbindkeysrc file in your home directory:

Code:
    cd ~ gedit .xbindkeysrc
    5. Paste this into gedit:

Code:
    "mvmouse +0 +0 2 &" c:122
    7. Now, press Alt+F2 and run "xbindkeys".

8. Finally, add "xbindkeys" to your sessions so it begins on startup (System -> Preferences -> Sessions).
    That solution is not optimal. First, it lags a lot, second, it generates a key release event immediately after the keypress.
    As a solution, I've written a small app using the sources of xbindkeys and mvmouse as a reference, that sits in the background, intercepts keycode 122 and fakes button events just like mvmouse. However, it doesn't lag and it disables key autorepeat for button 122 and generates appropriate button press and button release events, so you can also middle drag. I plan to integrate some other functionality into it, e.g. sending alt-left and alt-right events and maybe even some revoco functionality, but it's not high on my priority list right now.
    Attached is the source.
    Extract it and compile:
    Code:
    gcc -c mxrev.c -o mxrev.o
    gcc mxrev.o -o mxrev -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 -lXtst
    sudo cp mxrev /usr/bin
    Then add mxrev to your session startup

spread and enjoy!
    Last edited by knn; January 12th, 2007 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Fixed a bug
    "Don't try to be a great man, just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -- Zefram Cochrane

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by knn View Post
    That solution is not optimal. First, it lags a lot, second, it generates a key release event immediately after the keypress.
    As a solution, I've written a small app using the sources of xbindkeys and mvmouse as a reference, that sits in the background, intercepts keycode 122 and fakes button events just like mvmouse. However, it doesn't lag and it disables key autorepeat for button 122 and generates appropriate button press and button release events, so you can also middle drag. I plan to integrate some other functionality into it, e.g. sending alt-left and alt-right events and maybe even some revoco functionality, but it's not high on my priority list right now.
    Attached is the source.
    Extract it and compile:
    Code:
    gcc -c mxrev.c -o mxrev.o
    gcc mxrev.o -o mxrev -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 -lXtst
    sudo cp mxrev /usr/bin
    Then add mxrev to your session startup

spread and enjoy!
    Got an error on step two of the compilation directions:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXtst
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench32 View Post
    Got an error on step two of the compilation directions:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXtst
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    you need:
    libxtst-dev
    libxtst6
    "Don't try to be a great man, just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -- Zefram Cochrane

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Oh wow, that works wonderfully! Much better than my method!

Thanks a million!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench32 View Post
    Oh wow, that works wonderfully! Much better than my method!

Thanks a million!
    Unfortunately, it's not perfect. While the search button is pressed, my app has exclusive control of the keyboard, and no other application gets keyboard events. This means no shift/alt/control/super-middle drag (blender, beryl window resizing, etc.). I'll try to fix it.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast