Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ode to kde-core.. a faster KDE

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ode to kde-core.. a faster KDE

Only a handful of us have done benchmarks on kde-core versus kubuntu-desktop, but the consensus so far appears to be that kde-core is much faster than kubuntu-desktop.

Instructions for getting kde-core:
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kde-core
    Last edited by aysiu; May 4th, 2007 at 08:15 AM.

Beans

Re: Ode to kde-core.. a faster KDE

Kde-core is faster to me, i moved away from kde long ago because it was slow. Now that i've learned to use the server install i've come full circle. I've tried all the desktops & wm's and found that the kde-core can be just as fast as those light weight systems. Kde has always had fantastic dual monitor support that's missing in the other wm's & de's. It's so fast sometimes the window will jump up faster than i can move the mouse to the other screen, i have mine setup to open on the screen the mouse is on. I just got up so forgive the rambling.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kerry_s View Post
    I just got up so forgive the rambling.
    The rambling's fine. Good to know kde-core works well for you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kerry_s View Post
    Kde-core is faster to me, i moved away from kde long ago because it was slow. Now that i've learned to use the server install i've come full circle. I've tried all the desktops & wm's and found that the kde-core can be just as fast as those light weight systems. Kde has always had fantastic dual monitor support that's missing in the other wm's & de's. It's so fast sometimes the window will jump up faster than i can move the mouse to the other screen, i have mine setup to open on the screen the mouse is on. I just got up so forgive the rambling.
    server install all the way. Being able to eliminate all the stuff that I dont want/need, my kde desktop has never been so fast. Comparable to, if not faster then zenwalk.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge

Beans
    Hidden!

ihave been using kubuntu lately, but when i saw this thread, i decided to install kde-core and see if i thought it was faster (i had already done a clean install of ubuntu last night and only had gnome installed). it does seem faster, to me.

Beans

Installing kde-core is indeed way faster than the stock kubuntu-desktop. I've tried this before and was impressed with the speed difference. However, I had more random app crashes (mostly Konqueror) using kde-core. I'm not sure why, though.

A word of caution though: using kde-core really just installs the "barebones" KDE. Some of the probably important things that won't get installed are HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer), D-Bus (not sure how essential this one is), ACPI, CUPS, etc. These things may or may not be essential, depending on the user. The point is that you should know what you are doing or what you really need/want if you take this path.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Jucato's right--kde-core is faster because it has a lot fewer services running than kubuntu-desktop, but it may not also have the full functionality you need.

If you're an advanced user or into researching what packages you need in addition to kde-core, go for it!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jucato View Post
    Some of the probably important things that won't get installed are HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer), D-Bus (not sure how essential this one is), ACPI, CUPS, etc. These things may or may not be essential, depending on the user. The point is that you should know what you are doing or what you really need/want if you take this path.
    And that's why it's faster! Faster but also less services and stuff loaded and using RAM, obviously that's not good if I need them. I'm fairly sure kubuntu-desktop would reach those performances, if many things were disabled.

It would be interesting to know what are the differences between the two installations in terms of packages, loaded services and configurations.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by elettronicha View Post
    It would be interesting to know what are the differences between the two installations in terms of packages, loaded services and configurations.
    The difference is in the first post of this thread.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    The difference is in the first post of this thread.
    Sorry, you're right and I'm not stupid, too.
    In the attachment there is what I've seen with Konqueror. So I've seen only 10 programs and I've suspected that there should be some other difference. And of course, if I open the page with Firefox, now I see the rest of the differences...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast