Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Do Ubuntu users/advocates value their time?

Beans

Do Ubuntu users/advocates value their time?

Reading through some of the "I tried Ububtu and now its back to Windows" threads I can help but wonder if Ubuntu advocates value their time in the common "Ubuntu is free" argument?

If you take the time to learn this, configure that, ask questions to get basic functions working and then decide which applications you want to use...well for 200 dollars you can just get a Windows system with all of that taken care of.

I understand those who see fixing these problems and advocating Ububtu as a "hobbie", or in my case just an educational experience for the resume, but do others value their time at all?

If I had worked for the same amount of time as I spent getting Ubuntu working I would have earned enough money to buy a whole new computer, like a Mac mini or entry level iMac (or another Windows computer).

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Re: Do Ubuntu users/advocates value their time?

True, it is time consuming, but it is worth it. After many problems with windows, I have decided to stay with Ubuntu. Granted, I do have problems that wouldn't occur in a Windows or Mac, but there is some feeling of Ubuntu that keeps me on it. Plus, I like to figure things out; I'm a problem solver.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I stay very busy so I definitely value my time. For me there was some time getting things set up the way I like them, but I would have also had to do that with Windows. There was also the additional time it took because I was learning how things worked in Ubuntu/Linux. However, now that things are set up and I know how things work I think that I actually save a lot of time. When I used Windows it was not uncommon to have to stop what I was doing and reboot because something got hung and there was no other way to fix it. I have never once had to reboot Ubuntu to get the system to work properly after a problem. For me Windows also ran slower in general compared to Ubuntu. So in my opinion the initial investment in time is well worth it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Of course we value our time. That seems like a silly question. A lot of people do give up on Linux because they think that having something work out of the box will save them time. That's not necessarily true. Once they get their first virus or spyware attack they see things differently. Countless hours are wasted every year trying to rescue Windows PCs from malware. Not to mention the crashes, freezes, BSODs, and other problems that come from a Windows PC destabilizing over time. I'd rather spend a lot of time configuring a system to get it work the way I want it, knowing that down the road it's going to be stable and secure, than having something work immediately, and dreading what will happen months from now when I have to get something done.
    Last edited by ButtonMasher; October 13th, 2006 at 01:26 PM.
    "Rukia" - Athlon XP 1700+ | 512MB RAM | 80GB HD | Radeon 7500 | Ubuntu 9.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I took the time I saved from running virus scans, defragging hard drives, configuring and maintaining a firewall and trying to keep ahead of spy/adware and applied those time savings to learning linux. **

Now, after 18 months I'm so far ahead on my time savings that I've applied the time I have saved to learning other things, being more efficient at doing my work, playing more with my kids, and doing more of the things I love.

There is definitely a learning curve at the beginning, but in the long term it is very well worth it. I value my time so much I'm willing to spend some of it as an investment to save more later.

**notice I never mentioned rebooting, reinstalling due to system compromise or severe slowdown, etc. I'm just talking about the time I saved from switching from a very well-administered and healthy Windows system.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans

I own versions of Windows and I recently got XP home edition with the laptop I purchased I don't have a lot of time that's why I use Ubuntu it just works it does not take a long time to learn or set things up there maybe the odd device etc that some may have trouble with but this also can happen in Window.
    I have Ubuntu running on 4 computers 3 PC's and a laptop and have no problems at all I don't have to pay for 4 versions of Window at $200 each I don't have worms,virus,Trojans...
    its almost perfect.
    I am confused that some people think I will buy a OS that has a huge amount of bugs, there is a lot of security issues that still are a problem, I will need to than buy third party apps
    pay extra for MS office and than after six months ask why does my computer run so slow.

Beans

I was thinking about that last night, I’m using Debian Etch now.

I managed to get Debian Sarge setup exactly as I wanted it to without much problems. The only issue I had is that it didn’t auto-detect my graphics chip and that I had to edit the X setting manually to get it to run a 75Hz.

I tried to upgrade to Etch with APT and it went horribly wrong. Then I tried the install CD and it went fairly smoothly, I still needed to edit the X settings manually to get it to run at 75Hz, but Etch detected my graphics card.

Now to the issue, I like Youtube, and I need the Flash plugin to view the videos. In Sarge I installed it and it worked straight off like a dream. In Etch it won’t play any sound, I’ve read a couple of pages on this and there is different advice around.

My thought revolved around what it would be like to use Linux (in general, pick a distro) for work instead of Windows. And it wouldn’t be that easy without some external help.

Some things that are obvious (to me) in Windows seem hard in Linux, like sounds, I’ve worked out my issue stems from kernel 2.6 using ALSA as opposed to OSS which is used by Kernel 2.4. I may be WAY wrong! I am very new to Linux... I ran into problems when upgrading via APT because the upgrade didn’t quite get the Xfree86 to Xorg migration of settings and whatnot right, I tried to fix it by hand but gave up and went for the install CD.

OK, I freely admit that a lot of the issue is that I am a Windows power-user but not a Linux power-user. This will come with time and perseverance. But right now, if I were forced to choose as an OS to use for a desktop at work, I’d have to go with Windows XP. I know I am not going to waste time figuring out how to get things working in XP, figuring Debian out at home is fun, but I couldn’t possibly excuse the hit in productivity I’d take if I switched to Debian at work 100% with no support from a Linux guru... I have fun at home with it, and it is nice figuring things out, but I’m not ready for a switch when my livelihood depends on it.

If I worked in a company where I could get Linux support easily, then yeah! I’d give it a go. But for now Linux remains a hobby, and Windows is for work.

PS: I haven't bought a single app for Windows at home. Antivirus I use Clamwin, for development Visual Studio 2005 Express, for DB mySQL and MS SQL Server Express, for graphics GIMP, OppenOffice instead of MS Office, etc, etc, etc... The whole idea that if you choose Windows you need to buy applications is a fallacy.
    Last edited by cunawarit; October 13th, 2006 at 02:09 PM.

Beans

The general user does have to buy apps how many people out there say I will buy Windows XP and than run Clamwin.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tenn View Post
    The general user does have to buy apps how many people out there say I will buy Windows XP and than run Clamwin.
    I think its more a case of the average user being willingly conned into buying software. At least I converted my GF to free apps, she runs Clamwin now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

As I have stated before, the normal Windows user took more time to "learn" windows than it will take to install and configure Ubuntu, yet because they already "know" windows, they think Ubuntu ought to "be like" windows; install OS, click a few downloads, or drop in a few cds and click a few things, and they are done. When they find that it's not, and they have to (OMFG) actually learn something new, some wimp out, some half heartedly try, some stick with it until they succeed.

So is Ubuntu free, or do you have to earn it? Well, let's look at it from the "earn" it point of view shall we?

How much does Windows cost you? How much of your valuable time does it take you to:
    set up and tamper with or disable your firewall
    install spyware blockers
    install antivirus
    install spyware removers
    install malware blockers
    install malware removers
    activate windows
    contact support to prove to them that you are indeed the licensed owner of windows on your machine
    oops, kids went to a game cheat site, now you have to install cwshredder and hijackthis.
    oops, its one of the new ones, now you have to install registry hack software that envolves booting to safe mode, deleting files from the command line, etc.
    Dang, didn't work, start at top of list, and remember, microsoft is going to think you're up to something because you're explaining to them that you are the legitimate owner of an os that is being installed on a machine for the second time in a month!!!
    YOUR COMPUTER HAS THEIR SOFTWARE ON IT!!! YOU DON'T OWN IT, YOU ARE ALLOWED TO USE IT, AND HAVE TO PAY THEM MONEY FOR THE RIGHT TO USE IT, BUT YOU DO NOT OWN IT!

Do you really want to have someone elses stuff on your computer, or would you rather have stuff that YOU OWN, that BELONGS TO YOU, that you can do anything you want with?

Yeah, I'd pay myself my current wages to learn to use MY OWN OS THAT I CAN DO ANYTHING I WANT WITH in my own time, wouldn't you?

(good, send me the check. ha ha ha got ya)

*edit:

Oh, and I never have problems with windows. Used correctly and responsibly, it is the best operating system around. But I fix computers for people in my spare time, so I see all the cons of having windows on a computer. Yet the money comes in, so I don't complain. And yes, I use Ubuntu and am at the point now where I am seriously considering making the total move; wipe out the windows partition and only use xp in vmware when needed. Hey, I want my stuff on my computer, not someone else's stuff on my computer...)
    Last edited by BLTicklemonster; October 13th, 2006 at 02:27 PM.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast