Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Howto: [Edgy] Fix crashes with Xgl+fglrx on r200 cards (e.g., Mobility Radeon 9000)

Beans

Re: Howto: [Edgy] Fix crashes with Xgl+fglrx on r200 cards (e.g., Mobility Radeon 900

hey, just checking this quickly before school, but I warcraft 3 runs fine in cedega under my GNOME session. I will try Display=:0 tonight though but i gotta run right now. thanks a lot!

Beans

Re: Howto: [Edgy] Fix crashes with Xgl+fglrx on r200 cards (e.g., Mobility Radeon 900

Okay i have done some testing and i cant get the DISPLAY=:0 to work because i cant open warcraft through cedega from the terminal or cedega crashes my computer ( whole different problem ). So i tested and i get a crash when running in XGL and with beryl and window manager and when using metacity as window manager in XGL. So it seems the problem is clearly related to Xgl in some way as it is fine in GNOME.

Anything else that might help?
    Dan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Well in all honesty if you can't run it from teh command line you are going to have bigger problems, because the next step would be to run it using gdb as follows:
    Code:
    gdb cedega
    and then
    Code:
    run everythingyouwouldnormallyputonthecommandline
    this way, when it crashes, you will be able to type:
    Code:
    bt
    and it will give you a backtrace you can post here which may or may not help figure out what is going on.

Also, have you tried using Wine? I heard people run this game using Wine?

Misha

Quote Originally Posted by rogosh55 View Post
    Okay i have done some testing and i cant get the DISPLAY=:0 to work because i cant open warcraft through cedega from the terminal or cedega crashes my computer ( whole different problem ). So i tested and i get a crash when running in XGL and with beryl and window manager and when using metacity as window manager in XGL. So it seems the problem is clearly related to Xgl in some way as it is fine in GNOME.

Anything else that might help?
    Dan

Beans

yeah a couple reasons i dont like wine however. one of the problems i had with wine is it appeared on all my desktops. which is less that ideal because i have to exit w3 to see my desktop again. and loading it isnt exactly a quick option compared to changing workspaces.

yeah when i type for example "cedega Frozen\ Throne.exe -opengl" warcraft 3 starts to load but then it crashes my computer completely. I think it is because i have to have certain settings turned on and off to get it to work properly even using the interface. However, I was getting some help from cedega support but they didnt email me after my last response so im kinda not feeling so good about them getting back to me again. Maybe I will try wine again I dont know. I have had a very frustrating time getting this all working.

I will try wine again actually and let you know how that goes.

Dan

Beans

Okay, i remember now why I didnt use wine. It says it cant initialize OpenGL when im running under Xgl.

I guess ill just have to stick with GNOME for now. Switching workspaces when my game and desktop are the same resolution is still a billino times faster and mroe convenient than it was in windows and I am starting to get very comfortable using multiple desktops. So I will just wait untill I can get cedega working properly or maybe untill I can get cedega running in Edgy at all.

Thanks for the help though and the ideas. I just wish it didnt tease me by running for 5-10 minutes before crashing.

Dan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I think I got it.
    I was messing around with the settings in Beryl Settings Manager, and this is the configuration I'm currently using (see attachment). Unzip the .profile file, then start Beryl Settings Manager and choose Import... at the bottom.
    I can now move windows just like I did in Ubuntu 6.06 with Compiz.
    Thanks to Misha for the patch (install the patch first, then use these settings),
    Chirag

P.S. I'm not sure if this has been done before, so I'm sorry if I'm doing something that's already been done.

P.P.S. Does the Mobility Radeon 9000 support full-screen anti-aliasing with Beryl and OpenGL? I'd like to see smooth edges when I move my windows.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Hi, Misha

After apllying the patch, it hasn't crashed. But when I run 'glxinfo', there seems some problems, the biggest one is, the direct rendering doesn't work. When I turned back to the gnome session without xgl, it goes all fine. The attachment is the glxinfo outputs under the two sessions, can you give me a suggestion of the problem?

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi lid,

I am glad the patch stopped your crashes. As for the glxinfo direct rendering, this is the correct behavior. If you'd like to see that the Xgl output itself is actually being direct rendered just look at the output of:
    Code:
    DISPLAY=:0 glxinfo
    Basically, everything that Xgl draws on DISPLAY :0 _is_ direct rendered. However, what is drawn by programs _on_ the Xgl display (DISPLAY :1) cannot be direct rendered (well, it could, I guess, but that is not the way Xgl is implemeneted). Basically, the way I understand it when OpenGL output is drawn to DISLAY :1 it is drawn on offscreen buffers which then are sent to be shown on DISPLAY :0 along with other screen info. Anyway, that's kind of a bad explanation, but the bottom line is what you are seeing on glxinfo is correct.

Misha

Quote Originally Posted by lid View Post
    Hi, Misha

After apllying the patch, it hasn't crashed. But when I run 'glxinfo', there seems some problems, the biggest one is, the direct rendering doesn't work. When I turned back to the gnome session without xgl, it goes all fine. The attachment is the glxinfo outputs under the two sessions, can you give me a suggestion of the problem?

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Misha, let me tell you once again, you rock.

The wobbly windows work fine, but its not 100% all the time. Soemtimes when i log in the windows wobble, but they are very stuttery, do you have a fix for that?

Thanks a bunch!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by BOBSONATOR View Post
    Misha, let me tell you once again, you rock.

The wobbly windows work fine, but its not 100% all the time. Soemtimes when i log in the windows wobble, but they are very stuttery, do you have a fix for that?

Thanks a bunch!
    I believe this may be pretty much a consequence of the way I am working around the bug
    of drawing vertex arrays with > 4000 vertices. The way I am getting around this is by
    drawing ~4000 vertices at a time, and thus I would assume it would be stuttery all the
    time (don't use wobbly windows myself, but had crashes doing other stuff before I
    implemented this). In any case, I will think of any other possible solutions, but I think
    for now your best bet might be to play with Beryl settings with regards to wobblyness.

Misha

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345