Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Building a small, cheap media PC?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Beans
    563

    Building a small, cheap media PC?

    Hey,

    I do a lot of 3D computer graphics and when ever I am on the PC I _always_ have my music on. The only problem is I have to turn my Music off while rendering because it's 100% CPU intensive, my music will just grind to a halt and will slow the render down.

    Basically, I want to build a small _CHEAP_ pc that will run Xubuntu, and I'd like to be able to have my Monitor, Keyboard and Speakers on both of the PC's ( Main PC and small media Pc ) so that I can leave my Main PC rendering then just flip a switch and I can then control my small media PC.

    How much rougly would this cost?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Beans
    563

    Re: Building a small, cheap media PC?

    Awwwww crap I thought I was in the Cafe! sorry! could someone move this?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Building a small, cheap media PC?

    Your good to go now. your threads in the cafe.
    Advantages and Disadvantages of 64bit.(Plus install Guides)

    ‘In search of some small measure of peace, that we all seek, and few of us ever find.’

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee,WI
    Beans
    6,282
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Building a small, cheap media PC?

    i can tell you that i run Dapper Drake xubuntu on a Pentium MMX 266mhz with 128mb ram. Running XMMS (a music player) works fine. I can also suggest the kvm switch i use, it actually has audio as well. So I have 1 keyboard, 1 flat panel, 1 mouse, 1 speaker system, 2 computers. I don't use the kvm for video though, i am lucky that my flat panel has a dvi input as well as the old analog. so i just hit scroll lock twice on my keyboard, and the input button on the front of the monitor and i can go back and forth from winxp to ubnuntu. the laptop that's running xubuntu was just to give you an idea of what the min computer requirements would be for ya. just go to a used comp store and get 1 similar or a little better than the spec I gave you and you should be fine! oh, i had to use the alternate cd to install, it basically goes thru the install in text mode. if you want to know what the exact model of my kvm is, i'll repost it when i get home but I think it's a iogear? i'll let you know for sure IF you want to know.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Beans
    47

    Re: Building a small, cheap media PC?

    Have you considered using one of those Via C3 mini itx mainboards. They are small, quiet, everything is on board. They have an extremely lower power usage and are low heat producing, the 800hz models dont even need fans, just a heatsink.

    They have a number of models with varying specs etc. They seem to be ideal for this type of use.

    Here is one of there boards:

    http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/ma...erboard_id=399

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee,WI
    Beans
    6,282
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Building a small, cheap media PC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael_aust View Post
    Have you considered using one of those Via C3 mini itx mainboards. They are small, quiet, everything is on board. They have an extremely lower power usage and are low heat producing, the 800hz models dont even need fans, just a heatsink.

    They have a number of models with varying specs etc. They seem to be ideal for this type of use.

    Here is one of there boards:

    http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/ma...erboard_id=399
    I don't know how the support is for the VIA chipset. So I would strongly suggest gogling this before you buy one. I can tell you that if you're gonna buy a new motherboard and not get a used one, this is the one i bought. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856110031, it's basically a North Bridge SiS 661FX South Bridge SiS 964 Asus motherboard along with a case, a 300 watt psu, and Intel Pentium 4/Celeron
    CPU Socket Intel Socket T(LGA775)
    FSB 533/800MHz
    for $98 plus shipping how can you go wrong? everything works out of the box. i ended up buying a geforce 6200 due to me wanting better graphics. oh, i bought a 512 mb ram for this cause that isn't included.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Bartlett,TN
    Beans
    333

    Re: Building a small, cheap media PC?

    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    I don't know how the support is for the VIA chipset. So I would strongly suggest gogling this before you buy one. I can tell you that if you're gonna buy a new motherboard and not get a used one, this is the one i bought. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856110031, it's basically a North Bridge SiS 661FX South Bridge SiS 964 Asus motherboard along with a case, a 300 watt psu, and Intel Pentium 4/Celeron
    CPU Socket Intel Socket T(LGA775)
    FSB 533/800MHz
    for $98 plus shipping how can you go wrong? everything works out of the box. i ended up buying a geforce 6200 due to me wanting better graphics. oh, i bought a 512 mb ram for this cause that isn't included.
    I take it that everyhting worked with this system and Ubuntu out of the box ?
    "The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe
    the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    CT - MA - NY, U.S.
    Beans
    1,619

    Re: Building a small, cheap media PC?

    Quote Originally Posted by hkgonra View Post
    I take it that everyhting worked with this system and Ubuntu out of the box ?
    well yes, i would think so, seeing as that's exactly what he said in his post.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee,WI
    Beans
    6,282
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Building a small, cheap media PC?

    Quote Originally Posted by hkgonra View Post
    I take it that everyhting worked with this system and Ubuntu out of the box ?
    Just to repost a snippet from what I wrote, "plus shipping how can you go wrong? "EVERYTHING WORKS OUT OF THE BOX". i ended up buying a geforce 6200" I am just giving you a hard time, just relax.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Bartlett,TN
    Beans
    333

    Re: Building a small, cheap media PC?

    I thought that was what you meant but it could have meant you have a box that is almost completely built for you when you get it. Not necessarily works with ubuntu. Just getting clarification. Thanks.
    "The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe
    the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •