Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Saying Hello and My thoughts on Ubuntu

Beans

Newbie Saying Hello and My thoughts on Ubuntu

Hey fellas. Dropping by and saying a quick hello and wanted to let you all know that I'm so feeling Ubuntu.

I'm a regular windows user because of work but I do like some of things that Windows has to offer. However, there are things that perturb the crap out of me using Windows. And that is the amount of spyware,malware and viruses out there. This is one of the major reasons why I tried out Ubuntu.

I am fairly careful which sites I click on with my windows machine but the fact that I know Ubuntu will not get infected by malware, spyware, and viruses makes me more comfortable. Also I love the fact how I can customize my desktop and make it look like anything I want. So cool!

Also the fact that a very small percentage of people who run Ubuntu/Linux makes me comfortable as well since hackers will not be interested in sabotaging us.....yet...HAHAHA! I guess that will happen when Linux takes over the world...lol

Other than the internet, I can play all my mp3s, my mpegs, ipod, you name it. Everything that I used to do with windows I can do with Ubuntu with a much cooler look and a kick **** desktop. LOL!

But all in all I just want to say this OS is great. I love it. It does take a bit of thinking and patience to set it up right.
    But in the end its definitely worth it.

Thanks for all the support this forum offers and the tons of information out there to help myself and other newbies.

Beans

Re: Newbie Saying Hello and My thoughts on Ubuntu

A virus or worm in linux requires root or admin. That's why they don't work
    Nice to see you like Ubuntu, and welcome to the forums!

Beans

HeHe...I know

I'm going to convert my brother soon since he's a total retard with the internet. I feel like I have to educate all my friends now since they have no clue what is happening to their machines in a week using the internet. HAHAHA

First day they get a pc they say...WOW THIS IS FAST!
    Next week...DAMMIT! This thing s@cks! Its slooooooow...lol

Beans

You're welcome here, enjoy.

As with the idea that hackers would target ubuntu if it became more popular ... it's partially true. Most web servers in the world run Linux, they'd be big targets for hackers - but they're running ok.

Beans

Heheh, looks like you're the newest victim to fall prey to the ubuntu virus:
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=272803

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Another nice thing about Ubuntu, not bloated at all, unlike that other operating system I custom built a pretty nice rig and set up Ubuntu, and it works wonders. In fact, the only thing I can't do as well with Ubuntu is gaming, and by that, I mean Window$ games. Not much of a problem though, I just dual boot Window$ when I need to game, and boot Ubuntu for EVERYTHING else. Welcome aboard!
    See, the problem with the world today is stupidity. I don't think it should be a crime or anything, but what I think we should do is take all the safety lables off everything and let the problem solve itself.

Beans

Welcome to the community!

I've moved your thread to the Cafe as i think its more suited here

Pricey
    Every time you install Jaunty, a kitten........ wait sorry what year is this again?
    Please don't PM support questions, post a thread so that everyone can benefit
    Join us in #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

i totally agree. ubuntu totally rocks.

i was having a discussion with a friend yesterday about linux vs windows. and the main problem he had (being a windows user) is going "against the current."

i just told him that ubuntu does all the stuff windows does anyway and it's more stable. the only problem i have right now is running photoshop cs2 and gaming. however, i dual-boot only for them. as for everything else, i have fallen in love with ubuntu.

oh and edgy is amazingly awesome. i can't wait for the official release.

keep it up guys!
    ubuntu user: #7499
    feisty fawn | ibm thinkpad t20 | pentium iii 700 mhz | 256mb ram | 40gb hd | broadcom 4306 wireless card
    ...windows xp dual-boot (for photoshop)

Beans

Rhubarb

Virus? Damn you! That was funny. I clicked the thread and realized it was a joke. Wise guy! LOL! 8)

Beans

heheh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast