Thread: SLED will play mscodecs out the box through Real Player

Beans

SLED will play mscodecs out the box through Real Player

Just read in my Linux format magazine that Novell has signed a deal with Real Player that will allow it play MS codecs out the box.

This had got to be great news for all the newbies and Linux in general.

Re: SLED will play mscodecs out the box through Real Player

If playing a 3rd party propriety encoded video through another 3rd party's propriety software interface is a good thing then heck yeah i agree.

The better thing would be in a moment of insanity for MS to open source its media codec's till then give me w32codec and libdvdcss2.
    Do you like my signature?

Beans

Basically the article reads something like this

Novell has done a deal with Real Player. From Dec 10 - SLED 10 will be the 1st distro to include an upgraded version of RealPlayer that supports Windows Media Formats.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'd have to say, this is good news for SLED as a Windows replacement. I can see public kiosks, internet cafes, or even some corporate settings needing to be able to play stuff in proprietary MS formats but cannot afford the legal liability of win32codecs.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

I somewhere read it was going to be open source (=ubuntu integration maybe?)